PDA

View Full Version : Did JM acutally make a smart, gutsy move?

gosox41
06-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Yesterday, Jiminez was on the bench for the second game in a row. Was this because JM actually had the balls to bench a player for bad fundamental baseball (the awful base running Wed. ngiht's game in the 9th inning) or did he just luck into making a good move?

Knowing JM, he probably sat Jiminez to rest and get Graff more playing time. Instead of sitting Valentin who is hitting all of .150 batting right handed against a tough lefty, he goes with Jiminez.

At least it's another reason to blame the manager for the team's poor offensive output. He's not even playing his best offensive weapons when the team is struggling offensively. Definitely not making it any easier on the players.

Bob

MarkEdward
06-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Yesterday, Jiminez was on the bench for the second game in a row. Was this because JM actually had the balls to bench a player for bad fundamental baseball (the awful base running Wed. ngiht's game in the 9th inning) or did he just luck into making a good move?

Knowing JM, he probably sat Jiminez to rest and get Graff more playing time. Instead of sitting Valentin who is hitting all of .150 batting right handed against a tough lefty, he goes with Jiminez.

At least it's another reason to blame the manager for the team's poor offensive output. He's not even playing his best offensive weapons when the team is struggling offensively. Definitely not making it any easier on the players.

Bob

I thought keeping Jimenez out of the line-up was a dumb move. When your offense is struggling, you don't keep your second best hitter on the bench.

rmusacch
06-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I thought keeping Jimenez out of the line-up was a dumb move. When your offense is struggling, you don't keep your second best hitter on the bench.

Jimenez twisted his ankle the other night.

Daver
06-07-2003, 01:42 PM
But Jerry Manuel opted for the better defensive lineup behind Mark Buehrle, giving D'Angelo Jimenez two straight days of rest. But Jerry Manuel opted for the better defensive lineup behind Mark Buehrle, giving D'Angelo Jimenez two straight days of rest.

"With Buehrle pitching, I like Jose playing shortstop with the ground balls in the hole and things like that," Manuel said. "I want to put the best defense behind Buehrle because of the ground balls.

Complete article here. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030606&content_id=359568&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

gosox41
06-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
Complete article here. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030606&content_id=359568&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Typical Jerry. Sox struggle to score runs and he's concerned with defense. Guess what Jerry, if you don't score you're not going to win.

Overall, the benefit of having Graff./Jiminez at SS/2B is greater then having Valentin/Graff at SS/2B when the pitcher is left handed.

Bob