PDA

View Full Version : I'm Liefer, on a jet plane. Don't know if I'll be back again.

LuvSox
06-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Jeff Liefer was picked up by the D-Rays today as he was put on waivers by Montreal. Super slugger Jeff's avg. had dropped to a US Cellular level .193. This will be Tampa's 15th roster move in the last 30 days. Jeff becomes their 41st roster player this season. Now that's tinkering!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2003, 05:19 PM
It sure didn't take long for N.L. pitchers to catch up with April's Wonder-boy, did it?

Gee, I guess we can expect the Chicago media to do a big splashy piece about Jeff Liefer next time he comes to town with the Devil Dogs, how much happier he is to be out of that "bad situation" he used to be in in Montreal, and the "even worse" situation on the South Side, how glad he is to be hitting over .200 again, and how he's looking forward to earning his 5th walk of the season any week now.

Is Jeff Liefer's 15 minutes of fame with the Chicago Media finally up? Of course the answer is yes, but only if they can't manage to stick in a dig at the expense of the Sox in the process.

What a worthless pile of dung that guy turned out to be. Good for nothing but a few more cheap smacks across the face for Sox Fans.

I ought to go to the D-Rays series just to boo his ass. :angry:

pudge
06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Wow, PHG, tell us how ya *really* feel.

MHOUSE
06-07-2003, 12:26 AM
I never liked Liefer either. He was always complaing about no pt and then when he did play he stunk up the joint. He was a butcher in the field and hardly hit or showed all the "power and potential" that he was supposed to deliver. Then for two weeks looked like he might break out in Montreal but I guess just goes to show he really isn't that good. Now he's with Tampa where it seems everyone cast off by another team ends up. Easley, Lugo, Liefer. Rick White?

Well now it was basically Osuna and Biddle for Colon. Osuna has a sub-2 ERA with the Yankmees and one of their only reliable bullpen guys. Biddle has been shaky with Montreal, but has recorded double-digit saves.

I wish Rocky the best! :gulp:

MHOUSE
06-07-2003, 12:43 AM
All my bats are packed I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
It's not worth getting up to say goodbye

My average is slumping, it's early June
The Rays are waiting, they're taking me on
Playing for them is so lonesome I could die

So kick me and waive goodbye
Tell me you won't pay for me
It took too long to finally, let me go

I'm Liefer on a jet plane
Don't know if I'll be back again
Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

There's so many time I've let you down
So many times I've swung around
I'll tell you now I wish they didn't mean a thing

Every pitch I see I swing right through
Every chance I get I play like poo
I'll never get to wear a Series ring

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Now the time has come to waive me
Another team, how many will it be?
Close your eyes and I'll be on my way

Dream about the days to come
When I won't be K-ing in your dome
It's about time for me to finally say...

Kick me and waive goodbye

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Huisj
06-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Leifer did play ok in '01 when thomas was hurt. in a part time role, he hit like 19 homers or something. other than that he totally sucked though.

MHOUSE
06-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
Leifer did play ok in '01 when thomas was hurt. in a part time role, he hit like 19 homers or something. other than that he totally sucked though.

Did u like my song? That's what matters here! :)

LuvSox
06-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Did u like my song? That's what matters here! :)

Awesome! :)

lowesox
06-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
This will be Tampa's 15th roster move in the last 30 days. Jeff becomes their 41st roster player this season.

Good for the Tampa GM. KNowing, that the team he's created isn't perfect and actually working to fix it. NOTE TO REINSDORF: Arrogance makes for a bad GM.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Now he's with Tampa where it seems everyone cast off by another team ends up. Easley, Lugo, Liefer. Rick White?

they dont stay long, as easley has already been cut again

gosox41
06-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Good for the Tampa GM. KNowing, that the team he's created isn't perfect and actually working to fix it. NOTE TO REINSDORF: Arrogance makes for a bad GM.

:KW
You're not taking a dig at me, are you? I know all. I have successfully lowered the number of victories this team has had going on 3 straight seasons. Oh wait, you mean baseball isn't like golf?

Bob

Jjav829
06-07-2003, 01:36 PM

Chuck LaMar sucks. Hes worse than KW. Piniella is the reason for all these moves. His impatience is resulting in new players coming in weekly.

white sox bill
06-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Great parady, you should contract Wierd Al to sing it.. I'll never think of Peter,Paul & Mary the same..
Bill

DrCrawdad
06-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Jeff Liefer was picked up by the D-Rays today as he was put on waivers by Montreal. Super slugger Jeff's avg. had dropped to a US Cellular level .193. This will be Tampa's 15th roster move in the last 30 days. Jeff becomes their 41st roster player this season. Now that's tinkering!

In other ex-Sox player news...

Mark Johnson was sent down to AAA by the A's.

lowesox
06-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Chuck LaMar sucks. Hes worse than KW. Piniella is the reason for all these moves. His impatience is resulting in new players coming in weekly.

Chuck LaMAr does suck. But I'd rather have Piniella and Lamar over Williams and Manuel. Piniella won't tolerate losing, and that's more that I can say about anybody in the WhiteSox organization.

MarkEdward
06-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Chuck LaMAr does suck. But I'd rather have Piniella and Lamar over Williams and Manuel. Piniella won't tolerate losing, and that's more that I can say about anybody in the WhiteSox organization.

Chuck LaMar traded Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker.
Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker.
Abreu for Stocker.

Want a really quick way to destroy the White Sox organization? Hire Chuck LaMar.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Chuck LaMar traded Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker.
Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker.
Abreu for Stocker.

Want a really quick way to destroy the White Sox organization? Hire Chuck LaMar.

good point

T Dog
06-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Great parady, you should contract Wierd Al to sing it.. I'll never think of Peter,Paul & Mary the same..
Bill

I believe John Denver wrote the music and original words. That was before he ended up dying in a prop plane.

xil357
06-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

What a worthless pile of dung that guy turned out to be. Good for nothing but a few more cheap smacks across the face for Sox Fans.

I ought to go to the D-Rays series just to boo his ass. :angry:

Hey, he was an integral part of the deal that brought Colon to the Cell. He couldn't have been THAT bad. If the Sox sign Colon to a longer contract (doubtful, but if I lose ALL hope there's no reason to continue following baseball and the Sox) then it will have turned out to be a great deal... a few role players at best for a top of the rotation starting pitcher.

Kinda says something when KW is able to beat the MLB-owned Expos on a trade.

xil357
06-09-2003, 08:28 AM
All my bats are packed I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
It's not worth getting up to say goodbye

My average is slumping, it's early June
The Rays are waiting, they're taking me on
Playing for them is so lonesome I could die

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

There's so many time I've let you down
So many times I've swung around
I'll tell you now I wish they didn't mean a thing

Every pitch I see I swing right through
Every chance I get I play like poo
I'll never get to wear a Series ring

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Now the time has come to waive me
Another team, how many will it be?
Close your eyes and I'll be on my way

Dream about the days to come
When I won't be K-ing in your dome
It's about time for me to finally say...

Kick me and waive goodbye

Oh...Expos I hate to go

Oh...Expos I hate to go

As someone who used to jam with the son of Styx's lead singer (and Sox fan) Dennis DeYoung, I only can cite and turn around the words to a Styx tune in reply...

"You've got too much time on your hands."

Sorry for that shamless self-plug. My 15 minutes of six degrees of separation from fame expired long ago.

Actually, both the pun "I'm Liefer on a jet plane" and the lyrics above are pretty damn good.

When the Rays visit Comiskey (and I'll be in Chicago for that Sunday game vs. the Rays at the Cell), I hope Nancy Faust plays the real "leaving on a jet plane" when Liefer comes to the plate. That would almost be as good as the "Corky" chant that I will miss when the Cubs visit.

xil357
06-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
I believe John Denver wrote the music and original words. That was before he ended up dying in a prop plane.

God has a great sense of irony.

maurice
06-09-2003, 12:58 PM
"Every pitch I see I swing right through / Every chance I get I play like poo / I'll never get to wear a Series ring"

*****! :gulp:

MHOUSE
06-09-2003, 02:06 PM

I always knew that song by Janis Joplin. But I assume that a lot of other people did it too. I would never listen to it if John Denver was singing. "Country roooads...take me..." no, just kill me NOW!
I don't know who did it first. Does anybody?

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Hey, he was an integral part of the deal that brought Colon to the Cell. He couldn't have been THAT bad. If the Sox sign Colon to a longer contract (doubtful, but if I lose ALL hope there's no reason to continue following baseball and the Sox) then it will have turned out to be a great deal... a few role players at best for a top of the rotation starting pitcher.

Kinda says something when KW is able to beat the MLB-owned Expos on a trade.

He was the key player in the trade for sure. I remember how much the Expos were hyping him after the trade

Twins8791
06-09-2003, 07:47 PM
I always knew that song by Janis Joplin. But I assume that a lot of other people did it too. I would never listen to it if John Denver was singing. "Country roooads...take me..." no, just kill me NOW!
I don't know who did it first. Does anybody?

Denver wrote it. Denver sung it. Peter, Paul & Mary did it best.
Several others did covers.

T Dog
06-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by xil357
God has a great sense of irony.

Is that why Harry Chapin died in a taxi?

hsnterprize
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Is that why Harry Chapin died in a taxi? I'm not sure, but he did leave his cats in a cradle with a silver spoon.

hsnterprize
06-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Did u like my song? That's what matters here! :) I had a grade school teacher who would play a lot of Peter, Paul, and Mary songs while we were doing schoolwork. All of a sudden, "Lake Shore Drive" just won't stop playing in my head.

"There ain't no road just like it...
anywhere I found...
runnin' south on Lake Shore Drive...
spinnin' into town."

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Sorry about bringing up an old topic but, I just read Liefer was released by the Devil Rays after Saturday's game. Tough luck

34 Inch Stick
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Hey, we can use a left handed hitter off the bench...

MHOUSE
06-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Hey, we can use a left handed hitter off the bench...

Daubach is heating up. His average is better than Paulie's.