PDA

View Full Version : Sox on ESPN Classic

gosox3072
06-06-2003, 04:12 PM
They are replaying a game from August 6th 1985 between the Sox and the Yankees on ESPN Classic right now.
Im happy to say i was 1 month old the day of this game!!!!

gosox3072
06-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Ahhh its Tom Seaver going after win #300

Thunderstruck30
06-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Who was the announcer for that game? It kinda sounded like Harrelson. How long has Harrelson been the announcer?

Tavarin
06-07-2003, 01:12 AM
It was Harrelson. He sounds a lot less stupid :)

Bisco Stu
06-07-2003, 02:53 AM
I was just 10 days from leaving for SIU from Chi and I HAD to witness (on TV) Seaver's 300th, as a lifelong Sox/Mets fan and Seaver being my all-time fave.

Sooooo great seeing him get it in NY with the Sox, next best thing to him doing it as a Met.

And for those who watched (I taped it that day and still have it), notice that Seaver pitched a COMPLETE game.

Clemens probably won't do it, hasn't done it since 2000. And Clemens is in such "great shape" but he'll be already showered and shaved when someone saves his 300th win for him.

(If Clemens proves me wrong against the Flubs tomorrow, I won't mind).

DonkeyKongerko
06-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Howard Cosell also visited the booth for that game. Apparently he and Hawk were pretty good friends.

gosox41
06-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Tavarin
It was Harrelson. He sounds a lot less stupid :)

Little did we know that he'd show us how stupid he really is a year later when he was made him GM of the team.

Bob

T Dog
06-07-2003, 11:30 AM
It was interesting to watch, not just for the Tom Seaver stuff. Harold Baines showed off defensive skills that are all but forgotten. Ken Harrelson, the next Sox GM at the time, raved about the offensive and defensive skills of a young Dan Pasqua. I had forgotten that Joe Cowley started and lost the game for the Yankees. Cowley would later pitch a no-hitter with the Sox. It wouldn't be a shutout, but it would be his last major league win.

Of course, the Sox battery went into the baseball Hall of Fame. At least two Time Magazine men of the year were in attendance. Howard Cosell, who joked that he would rather be in the Hamptons, was there, and now he's dead. Don Drysdale, dead. Richard Nixon, dead. Ken Harrelson, well ....