PDA

View Full Version : Um... I don't think so.

i_luv_jgarland
06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
"Boston Red Sox ace Boston pitching ace Pedro Martinez came to his Dominican countryman's defense, saying the incident was being blown out of proportion because of racial bias by the media." -Quote from the Associated Press

Um... I think that this whole scenario has less to do with Sosa's skin color, and more to do with the fact that he is not only a cheater, but also a moron for getting caught. I am so sick and tired of people crying racism when the answer is much more obvious. This is being blown out of proportion because he's hit 500+ home runs and now we don't know if we should trust those numbers OR his smug, finger-kissing, cheesy persona.

MHOUSE
06-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah I agree. This has nothing to do with race whatsoever. Who is Pedro trying to be? Jesse Jackson?

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
It has zero to do with skin color or nationality and EVERYTHING to do with being a disingenuous, two-faced liar and a cheat.

I for one hope that Sammy*'s roiding comes to light one of these days. That would make the corked bat incident seem like child's play.

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 02:56 PM
McGwire was slammed for andro, so what's the point here?

My point is some of the minorities that cry racism are more racist than the ones they complain about it. Guys like Pedro, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson give minorities a bad name.

It's ridiculous.

oldcomiskey
06-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Pedro should know better------I mean what if it was say Shea Hillenbrand or Nomar or something---when Graig Nettles was caught a few years ago I didnt hear Yogi screaming racism

WhiteSox = Life
06-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Pedro may be an awesome pitcher, but whenever you hear him talk, it seems to be about how freakin' great he is. He's not only arrogant, he's ignorant, too... Backing up Sosa, calling this whole thing a race issue.

I think one of the best examples of karma ever was when he made those comments about Babe Ruth and how he'd "kick his ass." Soon after he said that, he went down with injury and the Red Sox went down the drain faster than it took Sham-Me* to make up an excuse about his bat.

What I'm really wondering is who's going to be the leader for the "Sham-Me* is still God" campaign?

sox_fan_forever
06-06-2003, 08:31 PM
I saw Pedro's comments this morning. I couldn't believe he was trying to make it out to be a racial issue! Give me a break! I get so sick and tired of people always trying to make things out to be racial.

MRKARNO
06-06-2003, 08:54 PM
This is not a racial issue. The issue is that Sosa* cheated. I hate Sammy Sosa a lot, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he's hispanic. On the other hand, I really like Esteban Loaiza, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he's hispanic either. Billy Hatcher got 10 games for corking in '87 and he is white. The reason for the big media and fan uproar has more to do with Sammy's international popularity and his place in MLB history than his ethnicity. Pedro is just trying to take the heat off of Sammy, who evidently is his friend. (Is Jose Canseco Sammy's friend as well?)

FanOf14
06-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I saw Pedro's comments this morning. I couldn't believe he was trying to make it out to be a racial issue! Give me a break! I get so sick and tired of people always trying to make things out to be racial.

I, too, was nausiated when I read those comments. Sammy was caught cheating, pure and simple. I almost threw my radio out my car window the other day when I hear a sound bite from Sammy saying that he was innocent - innocent my ass. He was caught cheating red handed? How in creation can he say he is innocent?! :angry:

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Well, right now on Outside the Lines on ESPN, they are doing an entire show about whether Sosa is the victim of racism. Give me a freaking break. If this was McGwire, I can't imagine there'd be any less of an uproar.

I'm sick to death of minorities hiding behind "racism" every time they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

pearso66
06-06-2003, 11:10 PM
I too am suprised. And it's not that he cried racism, but that it took this long for it to be said. Nothing can be done these days without racism being cried. I agree with Soxdemon, those guys are worse racists than most people. But according to one of my college professors, minorities can't be racist because they are the minority. so I guess they aren't racists. Who knows?

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
But according to one of my college professors, minorities can't be racist because they are the minority. so I guess they aren't racists. Who knows? Your professor was an idiot. That's another argument that has been around for years, and it's based on first being allowed to define the term racism.

Most of us define racism as judging another person to be inferior because of his or her race. However, those like your professor want to redefine it as being a person who has power because of his/her race using that power over another because of the race of the other person.

If you allow me to define the terms in any argument, I'll win the argument every time.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-06-2003, 11:16 PM
OMG!!! Howard Bryant on Outside the Lines is claiming it is racist of baseball not to employ a Spanish translator when they will bring in a Japanese or Korean translator for players like Nomo or Matsui? Hello, there are so many coaches and players that speak both english and spanish, they can interpret if it is really needed. I don't know that many coaches and players that know Japanese or Korean. It is dumb arguements like that that drive me crazy!!

PS - Thanks for the tip on the show, Nellie.

TommyJohn
06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Billy Hatcher got 10 games for corking in '87 and he is white.

Actually, Billy Hatcher is black. The last white player to get nail-
ed for cork was Chris Sabo, I believe. He was also suspended.
It wasn't that big a deal, though because Sabo is nowhere
near the prolific hitter that Sosa is.

MRKARNO
06-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Actually, Billy Hatcher is black. The last white player to get nail-
ed for cork was Chris Sabo, I believe. He was also suspended.
It wasn't that big a deal, though because Sabo is nowhere
near the prolific hitter that Sosa is.

Ouch, my bad. I thought they showed a picture of him on the Cubs broadcast when sammy got caught and he was white. Definately my bad. But that still doesnt change my opinion

doublem23
06-07-2003, 05:48 PM
I think the bat is racist for cracking in half on Sammy. None of the white guy's corked bats are exploding.