PDA

View Full Version : Who are you rooting for this weekend?

Thunderstruck30
06-06-2003, 01:27 PM
I hate the Yankees more than any other team at any level. But this weekend I want them to win. The Yankees have always been a good team. But the Cubs in first place in June rarely happens. So therefore Im rooting against the Cubs and for the Yankees.

alohafri
06-06-2003, 01:35 PM
well that's a given TS....

it's now raining in Naperville. If today's game is PPD, all those lemmings who paid the big $$ for tix will be SOL.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

:D:

(Mrs. Aloha)

Hullett_Fan
06-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I hate the Yankees more than the Cubs. So hope the Cubs Win.

Only team I'll be 'rooting' for this weekend is the Sox!

:)

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm going to Sunday night's game with my mom.

Both of us hate the Flubs and Yankees with a passion, so I don't imagine we'll actively be rooting for either team.

But, I live in Chicago, and I have to deal with arrogant Flub fans, and if the Sox are going to tank it this year, I want the Flubbies to go down in abject failure as well, so silently I will be rooting for the Yanks.

Plus, Sunday night has The Savior Mk. XIX (Mark Prior) pitching, so that's added incentive!

:gulp:

harwar
06-06-2003, 01:45 PM
I hate the cub media and the cub fans much more than i do the yankees.I'm so sick of hearing about how great saturdays' game will be.I hope the yankees sweep the cubs and out-score them 40-0.

vegyrex
06-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I'm rooting for the Yankees. If the Flubs manage to win just one game it would be a moral victory for them.

Gawd forbid they should sweep the Yankees. Flub fans will never stop yapping about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm rooting for the Sox. Whatever happens at the Urinal, I'm sure part of me will be happy and the other part disappointed.

Is it too petty to hope the entire Urinal series is rained out, no make-up dates scheduled, and both teams assessed 3 losses. Just wondering?

:smile:

Oh yeah, and Sammy found with cork in his bat and steroids in his urine.

Vsahajpal
06-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm going to Sunday night's game with my mom.

Both of us hate the Flubs and Yankees with a passion, so I don't imagine we'll actively be rooting for either team.

So why go, CHR?

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
So why go, CHR?

Beisbol been beddy, beddy good to me...

p.s. I'm a fan of the game; thought this would be a good game to see back in March. That's all.

Vsahajpal
06-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Beisbol been beddy, beddy good to me...

p.s. I'm a fan of the game; thought this would be a good game to see back in March. That's all.

Yep. Hopefully the rain stays away.

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Vic, just curious, how many games (non-minors) do you go to a year?

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 02:26 PM
The teams I'll be rooting for this weekend, in order, are:

Sox - duh

Padres (vs. Twins) - Yes, this is like rooting for the Tigers, but any Twins loss is a good thing. If only the Sox could start capitalizing on some of those losses...

Rockies (vs. Royals) - See above.

Arizona (vs. Tribe) - The Tribe is closer to us than we are to the
Royals right now...

Yankees - A sox win is great but a Cubs loss will do in a pinch. Even if it is against the Yankees...

Astros - Can take sole possesion of first in the NL central!

Cards - Can take over second (or first for that matter) in the NL central!

Reds - Only 3.5 games back. Possibly can push the Cubs down to 4th within the next week if the Cards and Stros win.

Red Sox - Oh what the heck, maybe they can keep pace with the Yanks and take over first again. It's always fun to see the Yanks drop to second...

doublem23
06-06-2003, 02:27 PM
All I'm rooting for is David Wells to stumble and fall flat on his face while trotting down the dugout steps, another of Corky's batting practice only bats to explode, and then for all three games to be rained out.

Foulke You
06-06-2003, 02:37 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I have to root for the Yankees. Just about the only time I'd be doing this. I'm so sick of this overhyped, overpriced, "first time since 1938" meeting of these "storied" franchises media orgy taking place in the ivy covered dump this weekend that I just want the Yanks to go in and sweep and be done with it. Even if that entails having to choke back the bile as I root for Boomer Wells to pitch well.

MRKARNO
06-06-2003, 02:41 PM
I dont mind seeing the Yankees win when the Red Sox are truly a better team than the yanks and the BLue jays are doing fairly well. While I dislike the yanks, I HATE the cubs and would love to see Roger get no. 300 against the cubs, especially because I have a friend taking me to that game. I'm all for a yankee sweep to get the Cubs out of first

Chisox353014
06-06-2003, 02:53 PM
I'm not rooting for the Yankees, I'm rooting against the Cubs. Seeing the Flubs still near 1st place this late in the season is really annoying. On that note, go Astros, Cards and Reds!

Procol Harum
06-06-2003, 03:04 PM
In one of those rarest of rare cases, I'll find myself rooting for the stinkin' Yankees this weekend. I hate the Yankees more than any other team, but this is a special circumstance. Given that the Grubs are in first place, and all the hype around this series, I couldn't think of anything more amusing than having the Yankees come into Wrigley--home of the "lovable" losers--and spanking them three straight.

Vsahajpal
06-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Vic, just curious, how many games (non-minors) do you go to a year?

Right around 20

MHOUSE
06-06-2003, 03:51 PM
I want the Yanks to win the series, but Clemens to lose his bid for 300. This is because if he wins it at Wrigley then even thought the Flubs lose, they'll play it off as another piece of baseball history that happened at Wrigley and it will basically come out like the Cubs won because of it. Plus Chip Carey will be disappointed since he is rooting for Clemens I think. But I hope the Flubs lose the other two games and the 65 years in the making are for another couple losses.

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I want the Yanks to win the series, but Clemens to lose his bid for 300. This is because if he wins it at Wrigley then even thought the Flubs lose, they'll play it off as another piece of baseball history that happened at Wrigley and it will basically come out like the Cubs won because of it. Plus Chip Carey will be disappointed since he is rooting for Clemens I think. But I hope the Flubs lose the other two games and the 65 years in the making are for another couple losses.

Better yet: the Flubs lose all 3 games, but the Yankees closer gets the W in game #2, leaving Clemens stuck at 299. It could happen.

MHOUSE
06-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Better yet: the Flubs lose all 3 games, but the Yankees closer gets the W in game #2, leaving Clemens stuck at 299. It could happen.

That would probably be the best case scenario. A Clemens no decision would be just as good. No more "history" at the urinal.

ozzman
06-06-2003, 04:03 PM
well, i never ever root for the yankees, but since i am south side irish, i will be singing the south side irish song this weekend

"and when it comes to baseball, i have two favorite clubs.
the go go white sox, and whoever plays the cubs"

Tavarin
06-06-2003, 04:12 PM
if all three games are rained out, I will die a happy man

ssang
06-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, I seriously dislike the Yankees, their fans, and how they've made baseball an unfair game. With that said, I will be rooting hard-core for the Yankees to beat the Cubs. I absolutley LOATHE the Cubs. As much as I don't like the Yanks, the Cubs are that much more worse in my eyes.

Daver
06-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Well, I seriously dislike the Yankees, their fans, and how they've made baseball an unfair game.

How do you figure this? They play under the same rule book as everybody else.

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I root for the Sox, but I'll definitely be hoping the Yankees win at the Urinal.

gosox3072
06-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Yah same rulebook but different checkbook!!!

Ill be rooting for NY this weekend, there is nothing more (other than a sox win) that i like to see than the cubs getting swept. On another note i will root for overrated Roger Clemens as long as he beans shammy in the head!!

WhiteSox = Life
06-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Hmm...

Root for Satan or The Devil?

Root for Jason "I'll Never Play For The Yankees" Giambi, or Sammy "It Was A Mistake" Sosa*?

Root for the Cubs or the Yankees?

I'm just thankful this is the biggest of my problems with Finals next week. :D:

But, to give an answer, go Yankees.

LuvSox
06-06-2003, 05:58 PM
So this is what it's like to root for the Yankmees. I think I'm gonna be sick :(:

sox_fan_forever
06-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Definitely rooting for the Yankees. I have never in my life wanted the Cubs to win and I'd like it to stay that way.

MRKARNO
06-06-2003, 11:43 PM
I'm gonna be going to the game cheering for the yankees and decked out in Sox gear (hat and Ordoņez shirt at least)

WhiteSoxWinner
06-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Got to cheer for the Yanks. I can swallow that because they play in another in the East. It was a much tougher call when the Indians played at the Urinal.

Thunderstruck30
06-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Its official, WSI members are rooting for the Yankees. But lets just say that the Cubs were having a typical bad season and were in 4th or 5th place while the Yankees are in the position that they are in now, competing with the Red Sox and Blue Jays. Then who would you root for? I would probably say the Cubs since they were doing bad anyway and a few wins wouldnt matter at all, and I would want the Yankees to lose so they would drop back in the standings.

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2003, 12:02 AM
The only way I can want the Yankees to win is when they're playing the Cubs, which they are. End of story.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Its official, WSI members are rooting for the Yankees. But lets just say that the Cubs were having a typical bad season and were in 4th or 5th place while the Yankees are in the position that they are in now, competing with the Red Sox and Blue Jays. Then who would you root for? I would probably say the Cubs since they were doing bad anyway and a few wins wouldnt matter at all, and I would want the Yankees to lose so they would drop back in the standings.

Nope, I would still cheer for the Yanks. The further the Flubs are in the cellar, the more I like it.

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Its official, WSI members are rooting for the Yankees. But lets just say that the Cubs were having a typical bad season and were in 4th or 5th place while the Yankees are in the position that they are in now, competing with the Red Sox and Blue Jays. Then who would you root for? I would probably say the Cubs since they were doing bad anyway and a few wins wouldnt matter at all, and I would want the Yankees to lose so they would drop back in the standings. I can never cheer for the Cubs, for any reason, against any team.

MRKARNO
06-07-2003, 12:36 AM
If the sox were doing helplessly horribly, the yanks, otherwise I wouldnt pick sides