PDA

View Full Version : Corky Sosa gets 8 games

SoxxoS
06-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Here (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030606&content_id=358600&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp)

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 11:48 AM
As I said before, I would be willing to bet that Sham-ME* decides to begin his suspension during the period that encompasses the Sox/Flubs games at the Cell, so as to avoid the heaps of abuse that will be dowsed on him.

Million bucks sez it.

alohafri
06-06-2003, 11:55 AM
he appealed.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
As I said before, I would be willing to bet that Sham-ME* decides to begin his suspension during the period that encompasses the Sox/Flubs games at the Cell, so as to avoid the heaps of abuse that will be dowsed on him.

Million bucks sez it.

Do you really think the appeal will take that long? I thought he had to start serving it right after it is denied? If he started on the 18th, he'd still be back in time for the series at the Cell, although he'd miss the series at the Urinal...

I doubt he'll miss either series though. He'll probably serve it somewhere between the 13th & 19th.

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 11:56 AM

Million bucks sez it.

He doesn't elect when to serve it. It begins today unless he appeals. He gets to play "until the appeal process is completed."

Daver
06-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Do you really think the appeal will take that long? I thought he had to start serving it right after it is denied? If he started on the 18th, he'd still be back in time for the series at the Cell, although he'd miss the series at the Urinal...

The appeal process is done in person in the MLB offices in New York,the next time the player is scheduled to be in New York,he can play until his appeal is heard.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
he appealed.

No way?!?

Your kidding?!?

I can't believe it!

:D:

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by daver
The appeal process is done in person in the MLB offices in New York,the next time the player is scheduled to be in New York,he can play until his appeal is heard.

What exactly is meant by "the next time the player is scheduled to be in New York"? Cause the Cubs won't be going to NY again this year...

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by daver

I don't think that's going to be the case, Daver. The Cubs do not play again in New York this season.

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 12:01 PM
What exactly is meant by "the next time the player is scheduled to be in New York"? Cause the Cubs won't be going to NY again this year...

Ya beat me!

voodoochile
06-06-2003, 12:02 PM
No, they'll make him fly out soon and get this over with. Probably the next Flubbies off day.

Daver
06-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't think that's going to be the case, Daver. The Cubs do not play again in New York this season.

If that is the case they have thirty days to arrange a hearing,unless the player makes arrangements of his own to make a trip to New York.

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 12:08 PM
The Flubs have only 2 off days before the Sox series: June 9 and June 23. If the suspension takes effect June 9, then Sham-ME* wouldn't miss either Flubs/Sox series.

However, if elects to fly out for a hearing on the 23rd, he would miss series against the Brewers and White Sox @ the Cell. I'm betting on this.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, they'll make him fly out soon and get this over with. Probably the next Flubbies off day.

That would be Monday. The team will be in Baltimore so it's not like he'd have to go far. Like said, he'll probably serve it somewhere between the 13th & 19th so he doesn't have to miss the Cubs/Yanks or either Cubs/Sox series.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 12:11 PM
I'm betting on this.

How much?

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 12:14 PM
How much?

A million imaginary dollars.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Jerko
06-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Sham-ME appealed the 8 games and Hendry (ugh) hopes to get it reduced. What a tool Hendry is. His logic: Sammy's been breaking bats his whole career and we never saw cork before.......... WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEE THAT ANYTHING THAT HE DID BEFORE DOES NOT MATTER NOW!!!!!!!! HE USED A CORKED BAT IN A GAME!!!!!!!!!! I SAW IT! IT HAD A BIG C ON IT!!!!! You know, I never killed anyone before, so if I ever do, I hope Hendry is a defense attorney by then. Well, he never killed anyone before, so let's just forget it this time...... A joke. Baker's just as bad; saying "everybody is tarnished in some ways, even Steve Garvey" so that makes it all right. When did Johnny Cochrane take over the managerial reigns of the Cub? I am SOOOOOOO sick of the following statements:

1. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt (doubt?)
2. He "allegedly" used a corked bat (allegedly?)
3. His other bats being clean vindicate him
4. He did so much for baseball
5. Bonds probably does it
6. Nobody's perfect
7. It was a mistake
8. It was an accident
9. Sammy would never do that
10. Albert Belle was a jerk

DON'T CUB FANS HAVE EYES!?!?! We know they don't have brains to process the gift of sight, but come on. If anybody else in baseball got caught red-handed like that it wouldn't even be discussed to let him off easy. Then you have Pedro Martinez and Jose Crap-take-o saying it's a race thing. Poor persecuted Sammy, who gets no endorsements because of race, no awards because of race, who everybody hates because of race, etc. What a crock of SH*T this entire situation has become just to defend a cheater.

Jerko
06-06-2003, 12:16 PM
No way Shammy misses either Sox series.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 12:17 PM
A million imaginary dollars.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I'll bet you one beer* that he will serve it before the series at the cell.

*Payable the first time we meet each other at a game.

voodoochile
06-06-2003, 12:18 PM
That would be Monday. The team will be in Baltimore so it's not like he'd have to go far. Like said, he'll probably serve it somewhere between the 13th & 19th so he doesn't have to miss the Cubs/Yanks or either Cubs/Sox series.

They aren't going to reduce the number of games he is suspended for, so his best bet is to drop the appeal on Monday and serve the games while the flubbies are playing Baltimore and Toronto for the most part. He'd miss two games against Cinci, but in the first 6 games the team could use a DH to offset his "lost" offense...

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 12:39 PM
I'll bet you one beer* that he will serve it before the series at the cell.

*Payable the first time we meet each other at a game.

Sounds good. I'll be at the Giants game this Thursday, and others.

alohafri
06-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Jerko,
great post.
did you read Morrissey's column in the cubune today? It kind of sums things up.

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Sounds good. I'll be at the Giants game this Thursday, and others.

Well, I don't get to too many games throughout the year, but I will be there on June 28th. We'll have declared a winner of the bet by then.

:smile:

vegyrex
06-06-2003, 12:50 PM
I hope Sammy plays at the Cell. The thought of thousands of Sox fans chanting CORKY, CORKY, gives me goose bumps. :D:

Jerko
06-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Jerko,
great post.
did you read Morrissey's column in the cubune today? It kind of sums things up.

I'm looking for it right now. Thanks

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Well, I don't get to too many games throughout the year, but I will be there on June 28th. We'll have declared a winner of the bet by then.

:smile:

I only have tix to 1 of the 3 games @ the Cell, but I think that's the one I'm going to. My b'day is the 29th, btw, so even I lose, I'll probably impose on you to "buy me a birthday beer."

:gulp: :gulp:

Iwritecode
06-06-2003, 01:02 PM
I only have tix to 1 of the 3 games @ the Cell, but I think that's the one I'm going to. My b'day is the 29th, btw, so even I lose, I'll probably impose on you to "buy me a birthday beer."

:gulp: :gulp:

Sounds good. :gulp:

Kilroy
06-06-2003, 01:12 PM
What a ****ing joke.

Since they are dying to see Sosa play the Yankmees, I hope Clemens beans his sorry ass. At least then everyone will get their money's worth.

And Bob Watson saying:

After an intensive investigation that included numerous interviews with club personnel and the examination of all of his bats, as well as those held by the Hall of Fame, it appears that Sosa's use of an illegal bat last Tuesday was an isolated incident," Watson said.

is a crock of ****. You conducted interviews w/ club personell. What do you think they're gonna say? "Oh, he's been doing that for years". You only found one corked bat so that means he only used it once? Of course it does. Gotta protect Sammy...

Blow me.

T Dog
06-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
What a ****ing joke.

Since they are dying to see Sosa play the Yankmees, I hope Clemens beans his sorry ass. At least then everyone will get their money's worth.

And Bob Watson saying:

is a crock of ****. You conducted interviews w/ club personell. What do you think they're gonna say? "Oh, he's been doing that for years". You only found one corked bat so that means he only used it once? Of course it does. Gotta protect Sammy...

Blow me. [/B]

Cubs officials said it was one of Frank Thomas' old bats that got mixed in with Sammy's stuff when the Sox' clubhouse door was hitting him in the butt.

Foulke You
06-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
What a ****ing joke.

And Bob Watson saying:

Blow me. [/B]

Yeah, that "isolated incident" quote pissed me off too. How the f*** can you say that for sure? Did they spend any time reviewing footage? Probably not. It is in MLB's best interests to look after Sammy's best interests. I never thought I'd say this but Mariotti was dead on the other day. MLB is more concerned with protecting Sosa then with finding out the truth.

In fairness though, an Indians fan here at work reminded me that MLB pretty much left Albert Belle alone after his corking incident and 7 game suspension. I guess the onus is on the player for tarnishing their reputation. Its just that MLB seems to be TRYING to protect Sosa since he is such a "Goodwill ambassador" where they had more of a hands off approach to Belle since nobody liked him anyways.

MRKARNO
06-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Sosa* should've gotten at least 10 games. The MLB is obviously still in love with Sammy. Were this Thomas or Maggs, they would have gotten a much harsher suspension and everyone here knows that, but Thomas and Maggs arent cheaters like Sosa*.

jortafan
06-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
Cubs officials said it was one of Frank Thomas' old bats that got mixed in with Sammy's stuff when the Sox' clubhouse door was hitting him in the butt.

I'm actually surprised no one has suggested that Frank Thomas taught Sam-ME how to cork bats, corrupting his poor soul back when both were with the Sox.

alohafri
06-06-2003, 01:48 PM
<<No way?!?

Your kidding?!?

I can't believe it! >>

(yes I do understand the sarcasm :smile: )

I posted earlier that shamME had appealed the suspension. The reason I'm surprised is because he said "I WILL TAKE WHATEVER PUNISHMENT IS GIVEN TO ME"

but he didn't add

"after I appeal it"

--Mrs. Aloha

Konerkoholic
06-06-2003, 02:24 PM
"Sammy only has one corked bat so he's clean."
What a joke. Think about it. Why would any player carry two corked bats? If you use one during a game and break it, you're caught. If you don't break it, it's still good. There's no need for a backup.

MHOUSE
06-06-2003, 02:47 PM
I think it's a joke that everyone says he's a "standup guy" for "admitting" that he did it. How can he admit using it when he did it in front of everyone? I think it was admitted right off the BAT! LOL, yeah anyways. So he lies about why he had it up there and then appeals the decision. I might have given him a tiny bit of credit if he had accept 8 games and just served it right away. But an appeal? A reduction? What a joke.

Also, I don't think that the clean bats validate him. Why would he have more than one bat corked at a time. MUCH more chance of getting caught. He would just have one corked bat with a 'C' on it to use when he wanted. Clearly this isn't a valid point.

Nixey 02
06-06-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm with ya MHOUSE. No way Shammee could deny it was his bat with the NHL goalie-style tape job on the knob of the bat. To deny it was his bat (like Sabo) would be folly.

And why would Shammee need such a tape job on a bp/exhibition bat? Presumably, the tape job is used to keep Shammee from losing his grip on those low and away pitches that he loves to chase for strike three. Don't see many of those low and away pitches in bp, do we?

F-R-A-U-D