PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede - a product of his teamates

lowesox
06-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Does anybody remember the tear Crede went on to start the season. Maybe it was only 6-7 games but he was on fire. But I believe rookies get their motivation from the rest of the team - the fear of not being able to keep up. Sort of like how sprinters do better against other sprinters of equal speed.

I'll bet that if the rest of the lineup was productive, Crede would be too. If the Sox make significant lineup changes (which they're not intelligent enough to do) then you'll see a possitive after effect from Crede.

MarkEdward
06-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Does anybody remember the tear Crede went on to start the season. Maybe it was only 6-7 games but he was on fire. But I believe rookies get their motivation from the rest of the team - the fear of not being able to keep up. Sort of like how sprinters do better against other sprinters of equal speed.

I'll bet that if the rest of the lineup was productive, Crede would be too. If the Sox make significant lineup changes (which they're not intelligent enough to do) then you'll see a possitive after effect from Crede.

I just chalk this up to him being a rookie. Hank Blalock went through the same thing last year, as did Sean Burroughs. He'll snap out of it.

SoxxoS
06-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I just chalk this up to him being a rookie. Hank Blalock went through the same thing last year, as did Sean Burroughs. He'll snap out of it.

But he isn't a rookie...

voodoochile
06-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
But he isn't a rookie...

For all intents and purposes he is. This is the first year where the job is his good or bad. That means he works through his slumps instead of getting a ticket to the minors. Regardless of whether he has played in the big leagues before or not and whether he qualifies legally as a rookie, from a mental perspective, he's a rookie...

SoxxoS
06-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Comparing him to Hank Blalock and Sean Burroughs is flawed, because they were both legit rookies when they struggled. This year, given the job, Blalock has taken and ran with it. That is the difference between him and Crede.

lowesox
06-06-2003, 12:27 PM
I think Crede more than earned his job with the way he played last year. But lets face it, its really easy to hit .208 when you're outhitting a guy like Paul Konerko.

MarkEdward
06-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Comparing him to Hank Blalock and Sean Burroughs is flawed, because they were both legit rookies when they struggled. This year, given the job, Blalock has taken and ran with it. That is the difference between him and Crede.

You're right, up to a point. Yes, Crede did have 264 ABs prior to the start of the 2003 season. However, this is the first year where Crede was given the 3B job in spring training and told to run with it. In 2002, Blalock and Burroughs were asked to do the same thing. They also failed. That's why I think these players are similar.

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think Crede more than earned his job with the way he played last year. But lets face it, its really easy to hit .208 when you're outhitting a guy like Paul Konerko. So you're saying that Crede doesn't know that he's not hitting well since he's outhitting Konerko? Come on. These guys know what good performance is. They know that MLB doesn't grade on a curve.

Daver
06-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
They know that MLB doesn't grade on a curve.

The media does though Nellie.

lowesox
06-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
So you're saying that Crede doesn't know that he's not hitting well since he's outhitting Konerko? Come on. These guys know what good performance is. They know that MLB doesn't grade on a curve.

I'm saying that rookies need veteran leadership. This team has none. Valentin and Konerko are supposed to be the veteran leadership. Maybe the rest of the order is just following by example.