PDA

View Full Version : Marte for 2, Koch for 2....

Tragg
06-06-2003, 09:51 AM
and we win a close game late!
Wow, ain't it neat how that works, Jerry?
We didn't even need the services of our aces Gordon, Glover and White.

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
and we win a close game late!
Wow, ain't it neat how that works, Jerry?
We didn't even need the services of our aces Gordon, Glover and White.

Of course if he continues this he'll burn out Marte and Koch.

whitesoxwilkes
06-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Of course if he continues this he'll burn out Marte and Koch.

I'm beginning to worry that Marte's arm is already starting to wilt. I first noticed this in the last Minnesota series and then on through the homestand and then the Cleveland games.

Konerkoholic
06-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Really? He had great life on his fastball last night.

hold2dibber
06-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I'm beginning to worry that Marte's arm is already starting to wilt. I first noticed this in the last Minnesota series and then on through the homestand and then the Cleveland games.

He looked awfully sharp last night. Virtually unhittable. He has only pitched 23 innings in 24 games so far this year, so JM certainly can't be accused of over using him (I for one think he has not utilized Marte enough).

A quick question -- does anyone think Marte has the potential to be a starter? I have no idea about his durability or arm strength, so I'm not sure if he has it in him to pitch 200 innings in one year. I also tend to think that he would need an off speed pitch or two if he were to be a starter. Nonetheless, the guy has great stuff and with Colon (presumably) gone next year, the Sox are going to be in dire need of more starting pitching next year. Thoughts?

SoxxoS
06-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
He looked awfully sharp last night. Virtually unhittable. He has only pitched 23 innings in 24 games so far this year, so JM certainly can't be accused of over using him (I for one think he has not utilized Marte enough).

A quick question -- does anyone think Marte has the potential to be a starter? I have no idea about his durability or arm strength, so I'm not sure if he has it in him to pitch 200 innings in one year. I also tend to think that he would need an off speed pitch or two if he were to be a starter. Nonetheless, the guy has great stuff and with Colon (presumably) gone next year, the Sox are going to be in dire need of more starting pitching next year. Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing, dibber.

whitesoxwilkes
06-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I forgot to mention, I did not see him throw last night. Let's hope that deadarm isn't the case.

Foulke You
06-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I forgot to mention, I did not see him throw last night. Let's hope that deadarm isn't the case.

He was about as dominant as I've seen him this year. Tons of life on the fastball and he was painting the corners with that big sweeper of his. Those D'backs hitters didn't have a chance. If he had deadarm before, it wasn't showing up last night.

MHOUSE
06-06-2003, 02:55 PM
He was owning last night. His fastball was right where he wanted it with lots of movement and around 92-93. Why would we start him? He's done great out of the 'pen and is our best reliever. Why use him to start? He'd have to rest 4-5 days afterwards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We have plenty of starting pitcher. Don't give JM another think to tinker with.

hold2dibber
06-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
He was owning last night. His fastball was right where he wanted it with lots of movement and around 92-93. Why would we start him? He's done great out of the 'pen and is our best reliever. Why use him to start? He'd have to rest 4-5 days afterwards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We have plenty of starting pitcher. Don't give JM another think to tinker with.

I wouldn't use him as a starter this year. However, if Colon bolts next year (as I assume he will), the Sox are going to be awfully thin in the starting pitching department in '04. If you believe Marte is one of the best pitchers on the staff AND if you think he could be just as (or close to) as effective as a starter (and that second part, I just don't know) then you definitely would want him to start -- and pitch 200 innings -- instead of pitching out of the pen for 75 innings.