PDA

View Full Version : An empty win

gosox41
06-06-2003, 09:45 AM
While it was nice of the Sox to finally show up and win a game, it was far from satisfying. I know this sounds cynical and I hate to lose, but the bottom line is the Sox offense didn't show up again.

It's just false hope. Winning means we'restuck with JM and KW. Scoring 3 runs makes me more concerned if this team is ever going to snap out of its slump.

Until I see signs of this teams biggest strength finally performing to its capabilities, there is no reason to get excited about this team at all.

Bob

lowesox
06-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Wow, my thoughts exactly. Even if they won 10-2 I wouldn't be excited. The truth is, this bunch of losers managed to throw this season away after the first month, and Kenny Williams lead the charge. Wins mean nothing anymore. We're not going to make the playoffs. And we're not going to be good next year either.

It's going to be a couple of years before I get excited about a win again. Until then, it'll just be relief that we didn't lose again.

MRKARNO
06-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I didnt matter that we won last night if we cant turn it into a win or a multiple game win streak. Although I'm down on the sox, I havent given up hope completely. Let's just see if we can pull off a 3 game win streak and see what we can do with it. When you're at the bottom, you have to start small and I think I see BIG improvement in Thomas, which is what this team desperately needs. Maggs Ordoņez is not the key to this team, but if Thomas can keep it up and drive in some runs, the offensive production will dramatically improve. If Frank starts doing well, I think the team will follow. He's raising that average to respectable range and most of his stats are respectable. I really want to see him do well

hold2dibber
06-06-2003, 11:01 AM
I agree that a single win, particularly with the offense still slumbering, is hardly enough to get my hopes up. I know that this team has enough offensive talent to play better than they have so far. I know that they're lucky to not be 14 games out of first place right now. And I know that the pitching has been good enough. But the team still hasn't shown the hustle, determination or fundamental play to make me think they have any realistic hope of contending for the division title. I just hope that they play well enough that I can enjoy being a Sox fan this summer.

I do note, however, that according to today's Trib, the 1983 Sox were 27-31 after 58 games, only a few games better than this year's team. While I don't think this team is a playoff team, I do still hold out hope that they can win 85 games. But I think they need to can Manuel to make it happen.

lowesox
06-06-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't know guys. I've always had the mentality that you should support you team no matter what, but this team changed that for me. There have been so many problems with this team since day one and management's only solution was firing Gary Ward. That's insulting to the fans. And the reason why is because Kenny Williams is too afraid to do something and screw up. What kind of GM is that?

We barely won one game, and lost twice convincly to Arizona. That's not a victory, that's just one more sour defeat. I'd like to get rid of about 80% of this team right now.

gosox41
06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree that a single win, particularly with the offense still slumbering, is hardly enough to get my hopes up. I know that this team has enough offensive talent to play better than they have so far. I know that they're lucky to not be 14 games out of first place right now. And I know that the pitching has been good enough. But the team still hasn't shown the hustle, determination or fundamental play to make me think they have any realistic hope of contending for the division title. I just hope that they play well enough that I can enjoy being a Sox fan this summer.

I do note, however, that according to today's Trib, the 1983 Sox were 27-31 after 58 games, only a few games better than this year's team. While I don't think this team is a playoff team, I do still hold out hope that they can win 85 games. But I think they need to can Manuel to make it happen.

Nice to see the Sox PR machine hard at work comparing 2 completely different teams 20 years apart. I would hate to see them put this work to use and maybe sell some tickets.

As much as I want to see the team do well, they don't have much of a chance to win this year unless they get a heart transplant. Going on the annual September hot streak is the worst thing this team can do. It hurts their draft position and will probably allow JR to bring back Bozo (KW) and Cookie (JM) se we can live through the same crap next year on an even lesser payroll.

If the team is out of it, which they pretty much are as long as this current management is in place, it's time to fold up the tent and start rebuilding now. Don't wait until July 31 or whatever. It's never to early to start the process of winning instead of sticking with a loser this long.

Bob

Konerkoholic
06-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
[ It hurts their draft position and will probably allow JR to bring back Bozo (KW) and Cookie (JM) se we can live through the same crap next year on an even lesser payroll.

If the team is out of it, which they pretty much are as long as this current management is in place, it's time to fold up the tent and start rebuilding now.

Bob [/B]

Fold up the circus tent perhaps?
Seriously, though. It doesn't help to be .500 every year, give or take a few games. Rebuilding a franchise is more tolerable than being stagnant.