PDA

View Full Version : Frank at first...

Kilroy
06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I hope Pauly is enjoying his seat on the bench. If I'm managing, that's right where he'd stay.

Over the last 7 days since Frank moved to first, he's hitting .388 w/ 9 rbi and 2 hr.

hold2dibber
06-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I hope Pauly is enjoying his seat on the bench. If I'm managing, that's right where he'd stay.

Over the last 7 days since Frank moved to first, he's hitting .388 w/ 9 rbi and 2 hr.

He's always hit better when playing 1st. Plus, his defense at 1st has been adequate (I only remember one screw up, on a pop foul he should have caught). His biggest problem in the field has always been throws to 2nd.

If I'm Manuel, I'm playing Thomas at first and DH'ing Daubach every day. Daubach has not had any consistent playing time. He has been a productive hitter in the past when playing everyday. Time to give him a shot. Pauly can pinch hit and be a late inning defensive replacement as necessary. If either of the other 2 faulter, PK gets back in the mix, or maybe starts platooning with Daubach.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2003, 01:20 PM

If Jerry Manuel has any common sense, he'll leave Frank at first for the rest of the season. The Sox need someone who can produce every night, because their offense sucks. Frank has shown many times over the course of his career that he is capable of winning games by himself, provided the pitching staff does its job.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2003, 02:27 PM

It's inevitable that the opposition will start making Thomas field bunts, but I don't give a damn. He is helping us win ballgames far more than Paul Konerko or anybody else could at 1B.

As for benching Konerko entirely, I don't see why he should get anything more than pinch-hitting opportunities until we've run through every other possible solution for DH. The guy is terrible, end of story.

doublem23
06-06-2003, 02:28 PM
:reinsy
We're paying Konerko, so he'll play, dammit.

rmusacch
06-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
He's always hit better when playing 1st. Plus, his defense at 1st has been adequate (I only remember one screw up, on a pop foul he should have caught). His biggest problem in the field has always been throws to 2nd.

If I'm Manuel, I'm playing Thomas at first and DH'ing Daubach every day. Daubach has not had any consistent playing time. He has been a productive hitter in the past when playing everyday. Time to give him a shot. Pauly can pinch hit and be a late inning defensive replacement as necessary. If either of the other 2 faulter, PK gets back in the mix, or maybe starts platooning with Daubach.

You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Konerko as a defensive replacement? He is a joke in the field.

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Konerko as a defensive replacement? He is a joke in the field.

He can throw better than most first basemen.

hold2dibber
06-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Do you think Frank is better (or even as good)? Konerko is an average 1B, IMHO. Frank is a below average 1B. Konerko is actually pretty good at turning the 3-6-3. Frank is really, really bad at it. Konerko scoops better, too. And he gets to more balls than Frank. I'm not saying Konerko is particularly good - just that when the Sox are up a few runs late in the game, replacing Frank with Konerko for defense makes sense.

Kilroy
06-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Do you think Frank is better (or even as good)? Konerko is an average 1B, IMHO. Frank is a below average 1B. Konerko is actually pretty good at turning the 3-6-3. Frank is really, really bad at it. Konerko scoops better, too. And he gets to more balls than Frank. I'm not saying Konerko is particularly good - just that when the Sox are up a few runs late in the game, replacing Frank with Konerko for defense makes sense.

That's all well and good. But when Frank is right at the plate, he can carry this team. And playing 1st seems to be doing the trick. Konerko can DH, PH, whatever. But he shouldn't be in the field while Frank is hitting well.

?? When was the last time we saw Thomas try to turn the 3-6-3??

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 03:23 PM
I'll take Frank's offense over a good first basemen's defense any day.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2003, 03:29 PM
...when the Sox are up a few runs late in the game, replacing Frank with Konerko for defense makes sense.

That's an interesting theoretical question. Personally, I doubt we'll need to worry much about protecting late-inning leads with better defense at first base. Just a hunch. :smile:

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
That's an interesting theoretical question. Personally, I doubt we'll need to worry much about protecting late-inning leads with better defense at first base. Just a hunch. :smile:

Yeah, and if you want to discuss bang-bang plays, I feel that Thomas can stretch and make a pick as good as anyone in baseball. He's got the longer arms and legs and is extremely flexible for his size.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2003, 03:55 PM
As I said in an earlier post, Frank Thomas should play first base for the remainder of the season. Why? Well, let me tell you a story...

There was a time when Frank Thomas was the most feared hitter in baseball. His offensive numbers were devestating, and he truly lived up to his nickname, the Big Hurt. Thomas was such an outstanding hitter that when various scouts and MLB officials were faced with the question of whether they would rather have Frank Thomas or Ted Williams, many of them had to think long and hard before answering. He was that good. Now, I think if given the choice between having another Ted Williams on the roster or keeping Paul Konerko happy, I think most people would rather have another Williams.

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 04:00 PM
You wanna know what I saw in last night's game? I saw the Frank Thomas of old. CRUSHING a homer which I feel might have been his biggest blast this year, and then the poke down the line for the winning run was VINTAGE Frank. Lately we've seen him whine about the outside corner. In this at bat, he did what he already used to do. Reach out and hook it over the third baseman's head for a double. Frank used to poke those over the first baseman's head too into RF for a double. Watching last night's game brought 1994 right back into my brain.

If playing firstbase will bring that Frank back, then Manuel would be a complete moron to take him out.

Manuel even said that if that's what it takes to get the most out of him, then he'll stay there. I'm happy for that.

Randar68
06-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Manuel even said that if that's what it takes to get the most out of him, then he'll stay there. I'm happy for that.

Until he changed his mind when he rolled out of bed this morning.

FIRE JERRY!

A.T. Money
06-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Why ruin a good thing? You'll see the Hurt at 1B this weekend.

Anyone notice the crowd roar when Thomas hit the homer? I'm not sure if it was all the Sox fans, or the crowd was just like "Whoooooa!" because of how hard he nailed it.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Until he changed his mind when he rolled out of bed this morning.

FIRE JERRY!

Agreed. Manuel changes his mind fifty times before the start of a game. Knowing him, Konerko will probably get the start tonight, and JM will use some sort of weak excuse such as, "I thought we needed Paul's glove in there tonight."

Fire Jerry Manuel!

voodoochile
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM

Beyond that, the concept of protecting a late inning lead implys a close game. Now, the Sox have made a habit of giving up late inning leads this season. When that happens, who do you want batting in extra innings, Frank or Paulie?

If/when Paulie regains his stroke he can play the field. Until that time, he should (at best) platoon at DH, IMO.

ncfan
06-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As I said in an earlier post, Frank Thomas should play first base for the remainder of the season. Why? Well, let me tell you a story...

There was a time when Frank Thomas was the most feared hitter in baseball. His offensive numbers were devestating, and he truly lived up to his nickname, the Big Hurt. Thomas was such an outstanding hitter that when various scouts and MLB officials were faced with the question of whether they would rather have Frank Thomas or Ted Williams, many of them had to think long and hard before answering. He was that good. Now, I think if given the choice between having another Ted Williams on the roster or keeping Paul Konerko happy, I think most people would rather have another Williams.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ncfan

Well who can argue with that!

:)

RKMeibalane
06-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Well who can argue with that!

:)

LMAO!

gosox41
06-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Beyond that, the concept of protecting a late inning lead implys a close game. Now, the Sox have made a habit of giving up late inning leads this season. When that happens, who do you want batting in extra innings, Frank or Paulie?

If/when Paulie regains his stroke he can play the field. Until that time, he should (at best) platoon at DH, IMO.

Paulie should be cleaning jock straps and selling Coke in the upper deck of the Cell. He needs to start earning that $24 mill. contract.

Bob

Jjav829
06-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Now let me tell you a story...

Ted Williams is on another planet. It's time to put away the Ted Williams comparisons. Those were obviously rushed. Your living in the past. If you asked various scouts and MLB officials now who the better player was, Thomas or Williams, they would probably laugh before answering Williams. If you were giving me another Ted Williams, I'd probably faint, but you're not. Your giving me Frank Thomas. Big difference. Thomas is no longer the most feared hitter in baseball, and aside from this past week or two, not even the most feared hitter on this team. Your gonna have to learn to accept that one of these days.