PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Reacts To "Corkgate"

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 02:51 PM
From whitesox.com:

"He's over the 500-home run mark," Thomas said Wednesday. "Why get caught with a corked bat now? It just makes no sense. He's been an ambassador of the game for four years and now to be caught with something this is really going to stain the things he's done.

"People will always ask the question: How long has he used it? Even if he has only used it for the other day, people will always question how long. It's sad for him. He's accomplished so much in a short period of time, the number of home runs he's hit the past four years. Now everybody is going to question, what's going on?

"He's made his bed with that. Now he's going to have to lie in it. He's going to have to answer a lot of questions. I'm just not shocked because a lot of guys used corked bats. I hear about it all the time."

Thomas said cork "can help tremendously" the distance of a batted ball.

"I've never used a corked bat," Thomas said. "I would never think about using a corked bat because I break a lot of bats. I broke two bats last night (Tuesday). Thank God I'm big and strong and have always had power to take balls out."

T Dog
06-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Thomas blasted Albert Belle for his corked bat incident as well. A wire service quoted him as saying something to the effect of, "I don't need to cork my bats. I work hard during the off season."

At the time, he didn't realize he was ripping on a teammate.

I wonder if the Cleveland media this week has recalled the Belle incident and referred to him as a White Sox outfielder.

idseer
06-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
From whitesox.com:

Thomas said. "I would never think about using a corked bat because I break a lot of bats.

if this is his real reason for not using a corked bat then he's no better than anyone else who uses them.
in essence, what he's saying is ... if i could be sure of never breaking a bat, i'd use cork too.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by idseer
if this is his real reason for not using a corked bat then he's no better than anyone else who uses them.
in essence, what he's saying is ... if i could be sure of never breaking a bat, i'd use cork too.

Thomas also says that he's "strong enough to take balls out," meaning that he doesn't think he needs to use one anyway. Be careful when reading an isolated part of a quote. The Chicago media is notorious for printing only a small portion of what is said, especially when it is a Sox player who made the comment. I could easily have seen them print this exact quote in order to discredit Frank.

T Dog
06-05-2003, 08:23 PM

And people wonder why Frank Thomas doesn't like talking to the media.

Daver
06-05-2003, 08:28 PM

Use the whole quote or don't bother,you'll never be as good as Jay Marriotti at cropping quotes to fit his intent.

voodoochile
06-05-2003, 08:43 PM

Well, if Jimmy Carter can have lust in his heart, I suppose Frank can fantasize about using a lighter bat that would allow him to hit the ball farther and harder.

Sheesh... Frank not only has to be pure of mouth and deeds, he has to be pure of heart too. I suppose he should just volunteer to play for free and donate all his time and money to saving gay unborn special baby whales...

You haters crack me up...

Jjav829
06-05-2003, 08:45 PM

Who cares. That goes for a lot of major league players. Sure there are some honest players out there, but there are plenty of players who would cheat if they knew they could get away with it.

idseer
06-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by daver
Use the whole quote or don't bother,you'll never be as good as Jay Marriotti at cropping quotes to fit his intent.

sure i'll use the whole quote.

"Thomas said cork "can help tremendously" the distance of a batted ball.

"I've never used a corked bat," Thomas said. "I would never think about using a corked bat because I break a lot of bats. I broke two bats last night (Tuesday). Thank God I'm big and strong and have always had power to take balls out.""

how does this change anything? nothing has been twisted here to change the meaning of what he said. and my point is he revealed the reason he wouldn't do it. cause he's afraid of getting caught.

don't be upset with me because thomas once again proves he should NEVER ... EVER ... talk to the media.
i'm just the messenger.

idseer
06-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Who cares. That goes for a lot of major league players. Sure there are some honest players out there, but there are plenty of players who would cheat if they knew they could get away with it.

very true Jjav. plenty of players AND others who would and do.
i wasn't suggesting i'm holier than thomes. i just try not to shoot my mouth off to the newspapers about it.

Daver
06-05-2003, 09:28 PM

don't be upset with me because thomas once again proves he should NEVER ... EVER ... talk to the media.
i'm just the messenger.

I agree with you on that,but cropping a quote to fit your needs makes you no better than any reporter that does it for his own benefit,if you see my point.

:)

idseer
06-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Well, if Jimmy Carter can have lust in his heart, I suppose Frank can fantasize about using a lighter bat that would allow him to hit the ball farther and harder.

Sheesh... Frank not only has to be pure of mouth and deeds, he has to be pure of heart too. I suppose he should just volunteer to play for free and donate all his time and money to saving gay unborn special baby whales...

You haters crack me up...

right. it's just coincidence that thomas is picked on all the time, right? face it voodoo. he provides all the legitimate ammunition for those not pleased with him. what cracks ME up are the folks who bend over backwards to try and make excuses for his poor behavior and big mouth.

anyway, this wasn't about hate. i was just moved to remark about another stupid quote by thomas. god knows i'm sure not moved to comment on the team. we can all talk until we turn blue but nothing will change this mess.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 10:38 PM
i'm just the messenger.

That's the problem, though, isn't it? If Frank doesn't talk to the media, he will still be criticized. This is why voodoo, myself, and others are so upset at the treatment he receives. Even when he genuinely tries to do the right thing, the media find some way to make him look bad. They have done so for years. I suspect that they will continue to do so. There are plenty of athletes who have said things much worse than anything that's ever come out of Frank's mouth, yet few of them are as maligned as he has been.

voodoochile
06-05-2003, 11:40 PM
right. it's just coincidence that thomas is picked on all the time, right? face it voodoo. he provides all the legitimate ammunition for those not pleased with him. what cracks ME up are the folks who bend over backwards to try and make excuses for his poor behavior and big mouth.

anyway, this wasn't about hate. i was just moved to remark about another stupid quote by thomas. god knows i'm sure not moved to comment on the team. we can all talk until we turn blue but nothing will change this mess.

So in the end your point is Frank has a big mouth and often says too much? Shocked I am sir, shocked. I guess he is no worse than everyone else who doesn't steal for fear of being caught and going to jail, or doesn't cheat on their spouse when offered the opportunity because they might get caught, or every football player who doesn't use steroids because they get tested regularly, or the people who don't run redlights on deserted roads at 3 AM because there might be a cop sitting around the corner, do I make my point yet?

You made this into a bigger issue than it was by trying to imply that Frank was somehow worse than other people because part of what motivates him to not cheat is the fear of getting caught. We have no idea if that is the ONLY reason he doesn't cheat - part of his explanation also included the thought that he probably doesn't need the help anyway - but you picked on the bluntly honest, purely human, single questionable part of what he said and tried to make it into a statement about the way the man is on the inside ("he'd really be a cheating lying coniving weasel, except he might get caught"). Spin your explanations any way you want. It's poor logic and smacks of bias - of course I already know how you feel about Frank, so my interpretation of what you said might be slightly biased too - or not...

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So in the end your point is Frank has a big mouth and often says too much? Shocked I am sir, shocked. I guess he is no worse than everyone else who doesn't steal for fear of being caught and going to jail, or doesn't cheat on their spouse when offered the opportunity because they might get caught, or every football player who doesn't use steroids because they get tested regularly, or the people who don't run redlights on deserted roads at 3 AM because there might be a cop sitting around the corner, do I make my point yet?

You made this into a bigger issue than it was by trying to imply that Frank was somehow worse than other people because part of what motivates him to not cheat is the fear of getting caught. We have no idea if that is the ONLY reason he doesn't cheat - part of his explanation also included the thought that he probably doesn't need the help anyway - but you picked on the bluntly honest, purely human, single questionable part of what he said and tried to make it into a statement about the way the man is on the inside ("he'd really be a cheating lying coniving weasel, except he might get caught"). Spin your explanations any way you want. It's poor logic and smacks of bias - of course I already know how you feel about Frank, so my interpretation of what you said might be slightly biased too - or not...

I would assume that one reason none of us would cheat on our wife is that we would be afraid that we would get caught, and I'm sure that if someone would ask you that, we all might just include that in a list of reasons. But it certainly wouldn't be the only reason, now would it?

I mean, how many of us have given as an excuse for not doing something that is against the law or against the rules, "Hell, with my luck, I'd get caught!" Fear of punishment is always a legitimate excuse for obeying the rules. But just as with Frank, it isn't the only reason we obey them. Frank gave at least one other reason that was quoted.

DC Sox Fan
06-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Now if you were going to do some cropping of quotes, this one would be a real winner:

Thank God I'm big and....take balls out

huh huh, he said "take balls out"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.gif

ma-gaga
06-06-2003, 09:19 AM
:b&b

dude, if you're going to reference Beavis and Butthead, use the tags. It's your WSI given right.

:)

idseer
06-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
That's the problem, though, isn't it? If Frank doesn't talk to the media, he will still be criticized. This is why voodoo, myself, and others are so upset at the treatment he receives. Even when he genuinely tries to do the right thing, the media find some way to make him look bad. They have done so for years. I suspect that they will continue to do so. There are plenty of athletes who have said things much worse than anything that's ever come out of Frank's mouth, yet few of them are as maligned as he has been.

i disagree. if frank doesn't talk to the media, the only thing he can be criticized about is not talking to the media (plus the things he does on the field that all players get criticized for such as poor base running, failure to slide, etc.)
the reason i criticize him here is because of his underlying motive which he makes clearly known.
it looked to me like he was chastizing sosa for doing what he did (see RKM's original post). i'm suggesting he's a hypocrite and as usual can't keep these thoughts to himself.

as to voodoo's reply ...

"You made this into a bigger issue than it was by trying to imply that Frank was somehow worse than other people because part of what motivates him to not cheat is the fear of getting caught. We have no idea if that is the ONLY reason he doesn't cheat - part of his explanation also included the thought that he probably doesn't need the help anyway - but you picked on the bluntly honest, purely human, single questionable part of what he said and tried to make it into a statement about the way the man is on the inside ("he'd really be a cheating lying coniving weasel, except he might get caught"). Spin your explanations any way you want. It's poor logic and smacks of bias - of course I already know how you feel about Frank, so my interpretation of what you said might be slightly biased too - or not."

i thought i addressed this in my reply to Jjav.
i DON'T suggest he's worse than anyone else. just that he continually exposes himself.
as to whether it was the ONLY reason doesn't matter to me. it's the first reason he gave. again it's not so much that he's so different than everyone else, it's that he was knocking sosa for doing what he would do if he knew he wouldn't get caught. at least that's how i interpret his remarks.
remember, my original statement was that he was no better ... not worse ... than anyone else.

as to my feelings about frank. i don't hate the guy as you seem to imply. i was as big a fan of his as anyone until his assinine quotes started to pile up. i want him to play well and keep quiet, that's all.

as to torn's reply ...

"I mean, how many of us have given as an excuse for not doing something that is against the law or against the rules, "Hell, with my luck, I'd get caught!" Fear of punishment is always a legitimate excuse for obeying the rules. But just as with Frank, it isn't the only reason we obey them. Frank gave at least one other reason that was quoted."

yes, his other reason was he was big and didn't need any help.
pardon me for not being impressed with this statement. imo it still implies that if he WEREN'T big he WOULD cheat. it's not like his other reason was ... hey, it's against the rules and not fair to others who play by the rules.
i think the spinning is really going on elsewhere here, not in this corner.

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
yes, his other reason was he was big and didn't need any help.
pardon me for not being impressed with this statement. imo it still implies that if he WEREN'T big he WOULD cheat. it's not like his other reason was ... hey, it's against the rules and not fair to others who play by the rules.
i think the spinning is really going on elsewhere here, not in this corner.

Au contraire. To get your interpretation, you have to be a mental contortionist.

T Dog
06-06-2003, 11:32 AM
[B... as to my feelings about frank. i don't hate the guy as you seem to imply. i was as big a fan of his as anyone until his assinine quotes started to pile up. i want him to play well and keep quiet, that's all....
[/B]

This wasn't an asinine quote. You are making too much of Frank Thomas speaking of a hypothetical. When the subject of bat corking has come up, he has always said he didn't need to cork bats. If Mark Grace had said the same thing about breaking bats, it would have been considered the height of wit.

If people twisted my words as much as it happens to Frank Thomas, I probably would dedicate myself to silence.