PDA

View Full Version : If/when suspended, Sosa to appeal...

Kilroy
06-05-2003, 02:04 PM
this so that he won't miss the series against the Yankees.

If I'm in the MLB discipline office, I accept that appeal and deny it 1 hour later. What kind of BS is that? He's admitted to the crime, and ignorance is no excuse. It would seem that he has no grounds for appeal whatsoever. By the same token, what is taking MLB so long to hand out the punishment? What difference does it make how many other Sosa bats turn up corked/clean? The one that blew up all over the field the other day had cork in it. Case closed. What's the frickin hold up??

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if MLB didn't hand out the punishment until Monday. Accepting the appeal and delaying a ruling until the end of the Yankees series would show what they think is important...

voodoochile
06-05-2003, 02:08 PM
The problem is that they have to allow him the same latitude that everyone gets in that situation. Appealing decisions when a big series is coming up is a time honored tradition in MLB. Everyone does it. Belle appealed his supension after the corked bat incident and was allowed to continue to play until after they came to a compromise (I believe the original suspension was 10 games).

Much as I hate ShamME and am pleased to see him get his due, he has the same rights as every other baseball player and has a right to have his union rep and agent with him for the hearing. That can't always be arranged on short notice. Not to mention MLB has to get their people together too. Yeah, it's an excuse, but it's the same excuse everyone uses...

Daver
06-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if MLB didn't hand out the punishment until Monday. Accepting the appeal and delaying a ruling until the end of the Yankees series would show what they think is important...

It is clearly stated in the CBA that a player has a right to appeal,and that the appeal will be handled in person in the MLB offices in New York on the player's next scheduled trip to New York.

That is not the exact wording,but it conveys what the rule states.

dickallen15
06-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by daver
It is clearly stated in the CBA that a player has a right to appeal,and that the appeal will be handled in person in the MLB offices in New York on the player's next scheduled trip to New York.

That is not the exact wording,but it conveys what the rule states.

They changed that a couple years ago. Sammy will have to fly to NY to get his appeal heard, but within a few days of the appeal.

Daver
06-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They changed that a couple years ago. Sammy will have to fly to NY to get his appeal heard, but within a few days of the appeal.

Check page 49 of the new CBA,your wrong.

Paulwny
06-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Anyone know why Greg Nettles was never suspended for his super ball bat?. I heard this on the yank broadcast yesterday and noone had an explanation.

Daver
06-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Anyone know why Greg Nettles was never suspended for his super ball bat?. I heard this on the yank broadcast yesterday and noone had an explanation.

IIRC,the league did not institute suspensions for altered bats till 1977,before that it was ejection from the game and that was it,the Nettles incident happened in 1974.

Paulwny
06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
IIRC,the league did not institute suspensions for altered bats till 1977,before that it was ejection from the game and that was it,the Nettles incident happened in 1974.

Thanks, Ken Singleton and Jim Katt , the yank announcers, didn't know the answer.

Viva Magglio
06-05-2003, 10:17 PM
...why is he planning to appeal the suspension once it is handed down? I thought that his "admission of guilt" Tuesday night, as much BS as that was, would mean that he would not appeal the suspenton. Guess I was wrong. The fact that he is appealing this upcoming suspension is further proof of Showboat Sammy being a big phony.

T Dog
06-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Saturday's nationally televised Yankee-Cub game was supposed to showcase Sosa as an heir to the Babe Ruth legend, which echoes among the ivy-covered walls of Wrigley Field. Sosa's Mount Everest Pepsi commercial is sickening enough. I wonder if Pepsi only runs it in Chicago now.

I also wonder if it is better to have Sosa suspended Saturday, with the announcers commenting on his absence, or having Sosa play, with the announcers commenting on his upcoming involuntary vacation.

Kilroy
06-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...The fact that he is appealing this upcoming suspension is further proof of Showboat Sammy being a big phony.

The cork in his bat proved to everyone else what we've known all along...

hsnterprize
06-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Hey Daver...

What does "IIRC" mean?

Brian26
06-06-2003, 09:07 AM
iirc = if I recall

ma-gaga
06-06-2003, 09:14 AM
daver,

Can you provide a link to the new CBA?

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
iirc = if I recall

If I Recall Correctly

Daver
06-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
daver,

Can you provide a link to the new CBA?

I have it downloaded as a PDF file,I'll see what I can find.

alohafri
06-06-2003, 11:32 AM
with the news about the congressmen honoring the scamman, it's obvious to me that the reason the suspension is being delayed is due to political motives. How embarrassing for these congressmen if they had to cancel the presentation. I should think they'd be embarrassed to "honor" the likes of a cheater, but then I remembered: the congressmen are cheaters and crooks too.

note to self: find out if my congress(wo)man is among those "honoring" scamME, then DON'T VOTE FOR THEM.
-------------------------
On another note, if I should see scamME doing any endorsements, I will write to the company and tell them I am boycotting their product for using a liar and a cheat to represent them.

(from Mrs. Aloha)

WhiteSoxWinner
06-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
note to self: find out if my congress(wo)man is among those "honoring" scamME, then DON'T VOTE FOR THEM.
-------------------------
(from Mrs. Aloha)

The vote was 372 to 0, IIRC. Got to throw all the bums out in that case...

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Pretty much everyone in MLB who has gotten a suspension has appealed it to delay it until it was a better time to serve it for his club. The Yankees/Flubs matchup is a huge money-maker not only for the Cubs (they've already made their ticket sales) but for ESPN. You can bet that once this weekend is over, MLB will offer to reduce the suspension by a game or two, Sammy will take it, and everyone will be happy (except for the professional race-baiters.)

T Dog
06-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Pretty much everyone in MLB who has gotten a suspension has appealed it to delay it until it was a better time to serve it for his club. The Yankees/Flubs matchup is a huge money-maker not only for the Cubs (they've already made their ticket sales) but for ESPN. You can bet that once this weekend is over, MLB will offer to reduce the suspension by a game or two, Sammy will take it, and everyone will be happy (except for the professional race-baiters.)

Bartolo Colon didn't appeal his recent suspension. The Sox who were involved in the 2000 brawl with the Tigers didn't appeal their suspensions.

But you're right. Sosa has to appeal the severity of the suspension, if not the suspension itself. After all, he is willing to take responsibility for his actions, even though he really didn't do anything wrong.