PDA

View Full Version : Bowa/Phils vs. Manuel/Sox

wassagstdu
06-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Here's some food for thought:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-philsremainstrandedwithth&prov=knight&type=lgns

"I would hope that a lot of them are embarrassed," Phillies manager Larry Bowa said. "Obviously, there's time to reverse it. But do you reverse it when the horse is out of the barn? If you start hitting when you're 15 games out, it's meaningless."

Seems like the Phillies are in the same mode as the Sox. Hard to imagine managers more different than Manuel and Bowa. Also interesting to read what the Phila. Enquirer said about the contrast between the Phils and Mariners.

MetalliSox
06-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Watching the ninth last night, Manuel was TRYING to motivate these guys. It was encouraging to see. Part o me actually thought we may pull it off. But then to see DJ just walk into that tag without sliding or getting into a rund down made me wanna puke.

Brian26
06-05-2003, 01:38 PM
I saw that too. It was nice to hear Jerry say "Let's win this thing, C'mon!". Most emotion I've seen out of him in the dugout in a long time.

Foulke You
06-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Watching the ninth last night, Manuel was TRYING to motivate these guys. It was encouraging to see. Part o me actually thought we may pull it off. But then to see DJ just walk into that tag without sliding or getting into a rund down made me wanna puke.

I was vomiting right along with you. What a stupid, idiotic move by Jimenez to go to 2nd. And if you DO go to 2nd don't just be lazy by standing there and let them tag you!! Slide hard into second base and make them put the tag on you and earn it. You never know, you might slide under the tag and beat it out. To stand there like a fool and let them just tag you was even more ridiculous than going to second in the first place. I don't think you would see hard nosed guys like Graffy or Valentin just standing there waiting for a tag if they were in that situation. I hope those Padres players were wrong about D'angelo being the laziest player they ever saw.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I hope those Padres players were wrong about D'angelo being the laziest player they ever saw.

I'm beginning to think that they were "right on the money."