PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace's non-verbal comment

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2003, 02:24 AM
This might have already been posted somewhere in all the various threads about Sammy, but I haven't seen it.

Just a few minutes ago on SportsCenter, they showed that Mark Grace left a bat laying on the bench with a wine cork taped onto the end of the barrel. Not particulary clever or original, but it says something about Grace's feelings about Sammy.

LuvSox
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
I got a chuckle out of it. I actually started to like him after he left the Cubbies. This cements the deal.

34 Inch Stick
06-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Grace and Sosa never peacefully coexisted. Sammy says he wants to play on a winner but he really does not want anyone to take the spotlight from him. That is why he came back so quickly from injusry.

CiscoCarlos
06-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Grace had a mild verbal rip as well, treating the situation somewhat humorously, but with a dig.

The Sun Times quoted him as saying it was "weird" and added, "Had I known there were corked bats in the rack, I certainly would have been using them, too. I'd have probably hit 25.''

LuvSox
06-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Sammy says he wants to play on a winner but he really does not want anyone to take the spotlight from him.

Exactly. He has been the only guy in the spotlight. If he goes to a winning team, who's going to feed his ego?

Iwritecode
06-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
Grace had a mild verbal rip as well, treating the situation somewhat humorously, but with a dig.

The Sun Times quoted him as saying it was "weird" and added, "Had I known there were corked bats in the rack, I certainly would have been using them, too. I'd have probably hit 25.''

I think he might also be the guy who said something about Sammy wanting to hit the ball 550 ft instead of 500 ft...

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Exactly. He has been the only guy in the spotlight. If he goes to a winning team, who's going to feed his ego?

Exactly. The Cubs are a perfect fit for Sosa. That franchise has known nothing but losing, so Sosa has absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever. None of the big-name players want to go to Chicago and play, so Sammy has the spotlight to himself. I wonder what will happen once Mark Prior finishes developing. Hmmm...

LuvSox
06-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I wonder what will happen once Mark Prior finishes developing.

He signs with somebody else?

RKMeibalane
06-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
He signs with somebody else?

I was actually referring to the idea that Sosa would have share the spotlight with Prior. I can just imagine how well those two would get along. :D:

LuvSox
06-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I was actually referring to the idea that Sosa would have share the spotlight with Prior. I can just imagine how well those two would get along. :D:

I got ya, was just being a wise guy.

Ventura23Fan
06-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
This might have already been posted somewhere in all the various threads about Sammy, but I haven't seen it.

Just a few minutes ago on SportsCenter, they showed that Mark Grace left a bat laying on the bench with a wine cork taped onto the end of the barrel. Not particulary clever or original, but it says something about Grace's feelings about Sammy.

According to the Trib, Grace said, "Hey guys. This is my bat. I didn't know it was corked. I didn't know it was corked."