PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza contract status

balboner
06-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Do the Sox have an option year with Loaiza next year? If so, does this mean that they would likely not try to trade him?

Daver
06-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Do the Sox have an option year with Loaiza next year? If so, does this mean that they would likely not try to trade him?

They have a team option on his contract,if anything it would add to his trade status.

chisoxt
06-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Excellent question....Given the sad state of the Sox now and the derth of talent in the Sox farm system, I think that at this point there is not one playaer on this club that should not be considered as untouchable.

SoxxoS
06-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Team option for 4 million.

balboner
06-04-2003, 11:56 PM
As bleak as this season is, just imagine it w/o Cy Loaiza! I wouldnt mind seeing him in the rotation next year. Colon wont be back, and Garland and Wright can't be counted on. I know Este wont keep this up, but if he can be a 4.25 pitcher, I'm all for him returning next yr for about 3 mil.

jeremyb1
06-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by balboner

i'd say it all depends on our plans for next season and how much teams are willing to give up for him which is related to the larger question of whether teams feel he can continue his success.

34 Inch Stick
06-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Daver, why do you think an option adds to his trade status? I understand that it increases his value to other teams.

However, a starting pitcher at a reasonable price coming off an excellent year is a JR wet dream. Because we are cheaper than the average team his value to us is greater than it is to other teams.

Of course if we get lower cost emerging players in a trade that is even better for JR.

hold2dibber
06-05-2003, 10:24 AM
My guess is that we'll either have Colon or Loaiza back next year, but not both. I would assume that they'll at least talk to Colon about his contract demands. If they think they can work out a deal, they won't trade him and sign him to an extension. (That last sentence probably should have been in deeppink.) If they trade Colon (or let him walk at the end of the year), I would think they'll exercise the option for Loaiza (assuming he continues to be solid for the remainder of the year). Without either Colon or Loaiza, the rotation would simply be a mess going into next year.

MHOUSE
06-05-2003, 01:06 PM
If Colon has any brains he won't stick around this place any longer than he has to. I highly doubt he would sign a big contract here or that we would give him one. He'll be a Yankee in 2004. Loaiza I could see staying, but he deserves a shot on a contender soon. This resurgence would be wasted on a sub-.500 team. I think there will be A LOT of new faces next year.