PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Gameday Thread - Sox vs. D-Backs (6/04/03)

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 07:59 PM
If you must post regarding tonight's game, please use this thread and only this thread. All other threads related to tonight's game will be deleted. Tonight's pitching matchup is Garland (3-4, 4.88 ERA) vs. Good (1-1, 5.14 ERA). Game time is 8:35 CDT.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Jon Garland sporting a full beard tonight instead of the soul patch. Looks like he took a page out of Danny Wright's book.

It looked like he was trying to grow something his last couple of starts and it looks good on the kid. Maybe it'll bring along/keep some good luck for him. Shaving the chin strap led to Buehrle's demise so maybe this beard will harness some good pitching for Jon.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 08:49 PM
The Sox need to score more than one run tonight. I'm guessing that they'll end up with three runs. How those runs will score is beyond me, because this team can't hit.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 08:50 PM
I thought Borchard was supposed to be an improvement. He just pulled a Milton Bradley on that one. Shake it off kid. I thought he might have recovered. Close, but no cigar.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Is Jerry Reinsdorf in Phoenix? He does have a winter home there, and it's not out of the question that JR is attending this series because of that. With that in mind, could seeing this bad play first hand convince him to whack Jerry Manuel?

balboner
06-04-2003, 08:54 PM
This is absolutely pathetic. The Sox are the worst team in baseball right now. No hitting and no defense. Do we dare root for the Sox to lose in order to shake this team up? It's quite obvious this bunch of players will never be able to challenge a team like the Twins.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Both of those runs Garland gave up in the first came with two outs. What is it about Garland that prevents him from putting a team away? He has more talent than ninety five percent of the pitchers in Major League Baseball, yet he can't close a team out. He needs to see a sports psychologist about this. Good grief!

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:05 PM
O-E-O! Maggs hits number 10.

Then promptly 1-2-3. Big surprise! Once again Mr. 23 year-old unknown looks like Cy Young in his 7th ML appearance. Ugh!

balboner
06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry, but our two super-prospect Joes suck! They look like they've never played the game of baseball. Crede might bat under .200 this year, and Borchard would break the K record if he played 150 games a year. Our minor league coaches must really be bad.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by balboner
I'm sorry, but our two super-prospect Joes suck! They look like they've never played the game of baseball. Crede might bat under .200 this year, and Borchard would break the K record if he played 150 games a year. Our minor league coaches must really be bad.

I thought our minor league coaches were good. Maybe the players just are not ready. Most likely in Borchard's case. Aside from Buehrle last couple years, our system hasn't come up with much in the way of ML talent recently.

balboner
06-04-2003, 09:26 PM
2 more 2 out runs vs our crappy pitchers. What's new! This is f'n embarassing.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Hillenbrand lucky to start off his D-Backs career against the Sox. 3 RBI so far tonight and his first HR. Kim won for the Bo Sox IIRC giving up 1 ER in 7.0 IP. This trade seems to have worked well for both parties so far.

Maybe Garland should shave the beard, it's not helping his pitching. I still like it tho.

balboner
06-04-2003, 09:28 PM
How obvious is it that this team has quit? Also, the Sox are last in the AL in attendance. We might have a payroll of like 45 million next year.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Jon Garland sucks. I have never seen someone struggle to get out an inning as badly as he does. This is sad. The White Sox are an expansion team.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Balboner asks:

It's quite obvious this bunch of players will never be able to challenge a team like the Twins.

Challenge the Twins? This team would have a hard time challenging the Devil Rays!

My guess on next year's payroll is 40 million (lopping off 13 million from this season--Colon, Valentin, Alomar Jr. and perhaps Lee because he'll be arbitration eligible... gone...)

Lip

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I thought our minor league coaches were good. Maybe the players just are not ready. Most likely in Borchard's case. Aside from Buehrle last couple years, our system hasn't come up with much in the way of ML talent recently.

I agree, MHOUSE. The young players who have been brought up recently aren't well-prepared for baseball at the Major League level. The problem is that so many of the veterans on the Sox roster struggle, so players are promoted early in order to serve as a quick solution to this problem. This has only made things worse, however.

What the Sox should be doing right now is trying to upgrade at the positions where they have holes. The problem is that Williams isn't crafty enough to pull off a trade to get another starter or a center-fielder, and JR is too cheap to hire someone who is. The Sox organization needs to be revamped from top to bottom, starting with Reinsdorf selling the team.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Let's start with this Good kid. He's awesome! This KID is making our "major league" hitters look like chumps. Why do we have so much trouble with nobodys? Team should just debut their AAA staffs against us.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Garland exposed! What a chump. 5-1.

balboner
06-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Two things:
- Garland has one of the worst curve balls in baseball. He hangs more of them than any pitcher i've seen

- Miguel Olivo is too young to play everyday. He's been swinging and missing at a Corky Sosa rate lately.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 09:59 PM
This team absolutely sucks. Reinsdorf needs to get off his ass and do something about this NOW! How anyone could stand by and tolerate this crap is beyond me. What I wouldn't give for a winning streak, even a two-game winning streak. I'm sick of losing.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This team absolutely sucks. Reinsdorf needs to get off his ass and do something about this NOW! How anyone could stand by and tolerate this crap is beyond me. What I wouldn't give for a winning streak, even a two-game winning streak. I'm sick of losing.

:reinsy
"We could field a winning team if Sox Fans came out to the ballpark, but no."

:comiskey
"Jerry, they just don't want to win as much as we do."

jeremyb1
06-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Two things:
- Garland has one of the worst curve balls in baseball. He hangs more of them than any pitcher i've seen

that's a pretty inacurate statement. garland has the ability to throw good breaking pitches, take a look at his three starts prior to this one. however, his change isn't that good so just like danny wright when he can't get his curve over he's pretty much hung out to dry.

i thought all things considered big jon gave it a pretty good effort. obviously the two runs in the first shouldn't have scored. also the pitch hillenbrand hit in the first was a good pitch, he just did a good job with it. garland was at least locating his fast ball well for the most part. he kept on trying to get the curve to work, the problem was he just didn't have any bite on it so he ended up hanging a bunch of pitches. not a pretty start and it definately will look even worse in the box score but its a far cry from his struggles at the beginning of the year. i fully expect him to bounce back in his next start.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
:reinsy
"We could field a winning team if Sox Fans came out to the ballpark, but no."

Actually Mr. Chairman, you have it backwards. Fans will return to the park once the team shows signs of life. Nobody wants to watch a team embarrass itself every night. The only thing Sox fans have to look forward to this season is Frank's four hundreth homerun. The way things have been going, that will probably happen in a game where the Sox get blown out by the score of 12-2.

Tragg
06-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I haven't seen a Sox team this completely dead since like 1988.

balboner
06-04-2003, 10:23 PM
To say that Garland had a pretty good start is pretty moronic. He went 4 innings, gave up 10 hits, and 7 runs to a poor hitting team.

balboner
06-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Did anyone else hear the tone in Hawk's voice after he said Tony G. went in for Crede at 3b? Why not have Graffy pinch hit for Crede in that last AB? Crede might be the worst hitter in baseball right now, along w/Konerko.

gosox3072
06-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Crede sucks, i was screaming to put a PH in for him in the 6th with 2 guys on. We had a chance to come back after valentin recieved a little. I doubt well see any life for the rest of the game.

Final Prediction in the B6---- Ari9 Sox3 8.5 back

balboner
06-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Why is Sanders still in the majors? He has absolutely nothing that would make him a decent MLB pitcher. The talent level on the Sox really is piss-poor.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Did anyone else hear the tone in Hawk's voice after he said Tony G. went in for Crede at 3b? Why not have Graffy pinch hit for Crede in that last AB? Crede might be the worst hitter in baseball right now, along w/Konerko.

More evidence that Jerry Manuel is TRYING to get fired?

These are the kind of mindless mistakes a little league manager would make. Claiming he's trying to help Crede's confidence sounds like something a little league manager would say, too.

jeremyb1
06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
To say that Garland had a pretty good start is pretty moronic. He went 4 innings, gave up 10 hits, and 7 runs to a poor hitting team.

so is the inability to read my post which clearly stated "i thought all things considered big jon gave it a pretty good effort."

jeremyb1
06-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
More evidence that Jerry Manuel is TRYING to get fired?

These are the kind of mindless mistakes a little league manager would make. Claiming he's trying to help Crede's confidence sounds like something a little league manager would say, too.

i would certainly be trying to get fired if i were manuel and i'd certainly be firing manuel if i kw/jr at this point.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 10:34 PM
We are a complete joke. I don't think anyone gives a damn. Why must we continue to endure this? JM is a deer in headlights. KW just sits on his hands while worrying which player will pop off in the papers. And JR continues to just play his fiddle.

It's easy to say we need new ownership, but since that will not happen, we need the next best thing. Fire KW and JM. Get rid of dead weight players. When we come to SoxFest 2004, I want us to be in a completely new direction. And I don't want the same old people up there talking out of their asses that we're going to win the 2004 AL Central title because we make some great-on-paper acquisition.

gosox3072
06-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Good job olivo with the double lets see if we can do sompin with it

duke of dorwood
06-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Its all albout attitude. Looking at our manager and GM, how can the players have anything but a losing attitude? Those 2 are at the controls of a championship team 3 years ago that they have piloted off a cliff

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Corpseball is a way of life for this team.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Over his last two outings (one inning) White has given up no runs to drop his ERA to 9.00 Here's hoping he can keep it in single digits. Josh Paul into the game. It really is garbage time. Everyone get your trade value up as high as possible before the Cellular sell-off.

Rick White is sporting the beard and shaved head look. I don't mind it if he has a hat on. It's better than the David Wells massive goatee.

Wow a scoreless inning. Who is this guy?

gosox3072
06-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Someone in the dugout said LETS GO WIN THIS THING!!!!!, thats a good attitude

Whitesoxbaseball---ITS TIME--for a win

MRKARNO
06-04-2003, 11:22 PM
I knew that we would find a new way to lose this game. I just knew it

gosox3072
06-04-2003, 11:23 PM
WHAT THE **** WAS DAUBAUCH DOING!!!!!!!, JIMENEZ IT DONT MATTER WHERE THE **** UR ON BASE AS LONG AS YOUR ON. CRAP WHITE SOX U NEED TO LEARN TO PLAY, I LIKE THE ATTITUDE COMMING BACK BUT U GOT TO EXECUTE

balboner
06-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Wow. BTW, did everyone notice the usual Tony G. pop up to first base that he has mastered late in the game? He pisses me off just as much as anyone else on this damn team. Also, has Jimenez ever done anything good late in a game? If I didnt know better, I would think he had money against the Sox.

Konerkoholic
06-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Now I know why Jimenez was criticized so much when he was in SD. The guy shows no baserunning knowledge whatsoever. Daubach? Gotta go. I seriously think it's time to rebuild. Get a manager in here who stresses fundamentals and good baserunning. If you make a play like Jimenez did in the 9th tonight, you get kicked in the ass and you don't play the next game. What the hell did we do to deserve this lousy team?