PDA

View Full Version : This just in! Corking doesn't work

booter14
06-04-2003, 04:48 PM
http://www.ajprint.net/archive_authors/canfield/interview.html

I ran a search through Google for bat corking articles, and this was one of the best. There are may others.
Cheating is ok until you get caught. Then deny everything. (Tribune policy)
The cork, rubber, or whatever only makes the bat lighter; if anything the ball travels less distance because of the decrease in density. You gain bat speed, but you lose power. Corking works better for guys like Joey Cora than for guys like Sosa.

He still cheated, he still looks like an ass, but it only proves how stupid he is. He figured he still needed an edge after laying off the roids, but he would have been better off using lead filling in lieu of cork filling.

Cheating has been going on in baseball since the begining of time, and only losers(White Sox?) don't try to gain an edge. Corking a bat however is probably the tamest example of cheating. Doctoring baseballs and sign stealing are much more effective.

I would say steriod or illiegal supplement use is the biggest thing that would taint a players career. My guess is Mark McGwire will be exposed for roid use in the next few years, because it took 5-10 years for football players to show the after effects. When ball players start dying from brain cancer or liver cancer at age 45 or 50, the conclusions will be self evident. (Ken Caminiti meet Lyle Alzado, Len Matuscak meet Jose Canseco)

fquaye149
06-04-2003, 04:56 PM
nah man, bat speed is huge. don't underestimate it. quick wrists is the key to power. sure it helps to have muscle behind it, don't get me wrong, and a big bat will help to a degree, but if you can get extra bat speed, then your power will almost always increase.

and let's not forget the psychological benefit. i bet if you told a slumping player his bat was corked, even if it wasn't, he would swing easier and hit the ball better because he would stop pressing, feeling he had an advantage.

Tavarin
06-04-2003, 04:59 PM
no, it plain and simply doesn't work.

While you get extra bat speed, its just like using a smaller bat, because you are taking out the "heart" of the bat, so you get less force from the bat.

booter14
06-04-2003, 05:15 PM
I totally agree with the psycological aspects. If you are going bad, and five people say something will break you out of the funk, then you'll buy into it. Especially if you are as dumb as Sammy and most baseball players.

However, the bat speed theory is valid only if you are playing in a softball field. True, you gain roughly 6 inches on a fastball, but nothing happens after you make contact because you are now using a smaller bat. Probably now only a 30 ounce bat, since most players now use a 32-33 ounce bat.

Dick Allen thinks most players are wusses.

34rancher
06-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
no, it plain and simply doesn't work.

While you get extra bat speed, its just like using a smaller bat, because you are taking out the "heart" of the bat, so you get less force from the bat.

First off, has anyone here ever used a corked bat? The ball does jump.

Second off, and the most important note on this subject is :
IF CORKING A BAT DID NOT WORK, THEN WHY IN THE MODERN DAY AND AGE WOULD ANYONE DO IT?

booter14
06-04-2003, 09:13 PM
baseball players use corked bats because they are dumbasses.

check any significant player's stats before and after they got caught using cork, and you won't find massive production differences either way. If you can hit a baseball over the fence then you can do it with either a doctored bat or a regulation bat.

If MLB was so concerned about corked bats ruining their precious game, then they would regulate which weapons a player could use for play. An x-ray machine would be set-up at home plate.

Check the stats for Albert Belle and Craig Nettles before and after they got caught. There is your answer.

Superstition plays a big part in baseball, and corked bats provide a psycological edge. nothing more. follow the link I provided above.

kermittheefrog
06-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher

IF CORKING A BAT DID NOT WORK, THEN WHY IN THE MODERN DAY AND AGE WOULD ANYONE DO IT?

Does Sammy Sosa strike you as the kind of guy to consult a physicist before he cheats?

booter14
06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Psychic yes.
Physicist no.

Where's Mack Newton when you need him.

Paulwny
06-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Another theory, I just read an interview with a bat maker in Ottowa, Can. He believes because of Sosa's age his bat speed is slowing. He still has the power to hit hr's but needed to increase his bat speed to catch up with fast balls.
His question is , If this bat is only for bp, why go through all the trouble of hiding the drill hole which is actually harder to do then the actual corking ?

TornLabrum
06-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Another theory, I just read an interview with a bat maker in Ottowa, Can. He believes because of Sosa's age his bat speed is slowing. He still has the power to hit hr's but needed to increase his bat speed to catch up with fast balls.
His question is , If this bat is only for bp, why go through all the trouble of hiding the drill hole which is actually harder to do then the actual corking ?

Because he didn't have to do it. Somebody did it for him.

Paulwny
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Because he didn't have to do it. Somebody did it for him.

That's a given, why pay the extra $$ if you only intended to use it during bp. Plus, you won't "accidentally" use it during a game.

doublem23
06-06-2003, 01:18 PM
That's a given, why pay the extra $$ if you only intended to use it during bp. Plus, you won't "accidentally" use it during a game.

:shammy
Man, I just read what the PR guy told me to. Ask him the questions.

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Here's something that's possible. Rather than looking to reduce the weight of your regular bat, how about taking a heavier bat and corking it to bring it down to the weight of your regular bat, but since it has a bigger barrel it gives you a bigger sweet spot? Balls on the sweet spot may travel no further, but more balls on the bigger sweet spot equals more balls hit far. The reason for oversize heads on golf clubs is to increase the size of the sweet spot.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-06-2003, 11:44 PM

The really dumb thing is that batting practice is PRACTICE!! It is supposed to get you ready for the game. Using a corked bat to put on a show is insane and selfish. I can't believe a team guy like Shamme*, who is so concerned about winning, would take away from game preparations. If he was really just trying to put on a show, go get an aluminum bat and crush the heck out of the ball. It would be tougher to mistake that bat in a game situation, and he could put on a better sham. Oops, I meant show.