PDA

View Full Version : MLB conspiracy

gosox41
06-04-2003, 04:43 PM
I heard MLB took 76 bats from ScAMMY's locker last night because they were at teh game going over security for the Yankee series. All these bats are to be X-Rayed. I know it's been said that a hitter only has 1-2 corked bats at a time, but how many had 76 bats in their locker?

Does anyone else think that MLB is not going to find evidence of one doctored bat out of those 76?

MLB is going to do everything it can to protect it's biggest golden goose. They'll give sammy a little bit of his rep. back and the Tribune spinsters will PR this to death to make Sammy nothing but an innocent victim.

Bob

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2003, 04:51 PM
How many corked bats would one player really need? I think one is plenty. They won't find anything else in those 76 bats.

What's more interesting is upon reviewing tapes of earlier games this year will reveal if he used the same corked bat before or not.

booter14
06-04-2003, 05:04 PM
My prediction: they won't find anymore corked bats. One way or the other they will protect their most marketable player. Players usually hide their doctored stash in one of the pitcher's lockers.

In any case, it won't matter in 1-2 months from now because these cases usually blow over quickly. How long did the stigma affect Albert Belle? He overcame it enough to have arguably the single best year in White Sox history in 98' four years after the incident. No one accused him of corking in 98'.

Bat corking is ineffective, and this incident will not affect Sammy's standing with the HOF voters. Steriods? that's a different story.

Tavarin
06-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Why would a player be stupid enough to have more than a couple corked bats? And Im sure the Cubs hid any before they turned the bats over anyway

rahulsekhar
06-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by booter14

In any case, it won't matter in 1-2 months from now because these cases usually blow over quickly. How long did the stigma affect Albert Belle? He overcame it enough to have arguably the single best year in White Sox history in 98' four years after the incident. No one accused him of corking in 98'.

I disagree. Sammy's now instantly the poster child for corking. Everytime in the future that anyone corks, this will be brought up again. It may not affect his HOF chances, but it will be remembered.

One thing to remember: The more that we as fans bring it up, the more it will be remembered so keep up the signs, chants, etc!

LuvSox
06-04-2003, 05:53 PM
There's no way the Cubbies let MLB walk out with another corked bat. Spin control was in overdrive the instant Soso saw the umps checking his broken bat. We all know Soso has the best PR people around. How else could a jackass like him be so popular? The best thing is the Cubbie fans will give him a huge standing O the next time he takes the field. Those morons actually believe it was a mistake.

gosox41
06-04-2003, 06:34 PM
My prediction: they won't find anymore corked bats. One way or the other they will protect their most marketable player. Players usually hide their doctored stash in one of the pitcher's lockers.

Bat corking is ineffective, and this incident will not affect Sammy's standing with the HOF voters. Steriods? that's a different story.

Looks like the found no more corked bats out of the 76. Sandy Alderson did say there was a several inning gap between the time of the incident and the time it took for MLB to get to the locker room.

I believe that Sammy has more then one corked bat. May not be mroe then 4-5, but why only stop at one. What if he needs one and the corked one is cracked. Plus it takes time to make these things, it's not like he can do it between innings.

Bob

Daver
06-04-2003, 06:39 PM
A decent equipment guy can make one in a half hour,if he has all the components there.

:)

dllrbll7
06-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by daver
A decent equipment guy can make one in a half hour,if he has all the components there.

:)

Would they actually be made inside the stadium? I cant see corking being done around anyone connected to the team.

wassagstdu
06-04-2003, 07:56 PM
I wonder if you can detect any difference in the sound of a corked bat. If so maybe someone could go back and analyze a bunch of Sosa's home runs -- if there are recordings from radio or TV. MLB surely won't do that but maybe some public spirited acoustic engineer could analyze the tapes. Think MLB would take away the illegal ones?? Nah. Anyway his body is corked too.

Tragg
06-04-2003, 08:51 PM
My prediction: they won't find anymore corked bats. One way or the other they will protect their most marketable player.

Is Sammy really marketable? I honestly don't know although he never struck me as such.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Would they actually be made inside the stadium? I cant see corking being done around anyone connected to the team.

I honestly don't think it takes too much skill to cork a bat. Any schmuck with a set of power tools can do it inside his garage.

What I find interesting is the umpire's comments to ESPN. He said Sammy's was NOT a typical cork job because the cork extended deep into the neck of the bat. He even suggested that the cork appeared "liquified" and perhaps injected into the bat. Of course the barrel has "mysteriously disappeared" so we don't know too much about the nature of the job. McCelland seemed pretty skeptical of the Cubune's cover story on that front too, suggesting it might be intended to "throw us off the trail." He was priceless. :cool:

Here's my guess. One of Shammy's buddies, perhaps an old friend from the Dominican, decided his pal needed help at the plate, what with steroid testing, the shattered batting helmet, the sore toe, etc. So he created this new high-tech bat for Shammy to try out. And Shammy--being the fraud he has always been--was more than happy to give it a try.

The guy has been a cheat for 10 years. The only news here is that he finally got caught. Those lies he told the media last night will be revealed for what they are soon enough. Just watch.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I don't think Sosa is MLB's golden goose. It's my opinion that A-Rod is.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
I disagree. Sammy's now instantly the poster child for corking. Everytime in the future that anyone corks, this will be brought up again. It may not affect his HOF chances, but it will be remembered.

One thing to remember: The more that we as fans bring it up, the more it will be remembered so keep up the signs, chants, etc!

I agree. The media, especially ESPN, had an orgy meltdown over this all day. The Sosa Ass Licking Society will engage in damage control, but I think today's media coverage of this had caused irreversable damage to Sosa's reputation.

Jjav829
06-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
I wonder if you can detect any difference in the sound of a corked bat. If so maybe someone could go back and analyze a bunch of Sosa's home runs -- if there are recordings from radio or TV. MLB surely won't do that but maybe some public spirited acoustic engineer could analyze the tapes. Think MLB would take away the illegal ones?? Nah. Anyway his body is corked too.

If done properly there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in sound between a corked bat and an uncorked bat.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
If done properly there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in sound between a corked bat and an uncorked bat.

However, there would be a very noticeable difference in the weight and balance of the bat for any athlete good enough to have customized bats made to his specifications--like Sammy Sosa, for example.

"I just picked up the wrong one" is the biggest bald-faced lie I've heard in a long, long time. Sosa could have picked out that corked bat blind-folded.

Don't worry. They are going to convict him with his own words. The man is about to be torn down by the very people who built him up. Book it.

booter14
06-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Sammy's been using steroids for at least 6 years based on his stat explosion. Do you think he can tell the difference between a 33 oz. bat and one that weighs 31 oz.? I doubt it. I still think he's guilty.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Sammy's been using steroids for at least 6 years based on his stat explosion. Do you think he can tell the difference between a 33 oz. bat and one that weighs 31 oz.? I doubt it. I still think he's guilty.

What difference would it make how much chemically-enhanced body mass he has? Any tradesmen knows "the feel" of their tools, especially one whose multi-million dollar livelihood depends on excelling in his craft. Most big leaguers are obsessive/compulsive about their equipment and routine. They'll carry around the same "lucky" water bottle the entire season. Certainly a slugger's bat is the closest thing to his heart.

Not only would Sosa know a 1 or 2 ounce difference, he would notice the variance in the balance of the bat. And I absolutely agree that he is guilty, and we'll soon find out he is a liar, too.

:cool:

1951Campbell
06-04-2003, 09:50 PM

I can tell the difference between a jewel box with a CD in it and one without a CD in it. Sosa* can sure as hell tell the difference between a 33 oz. bat and a 31 oz. one. The man has probably spent literally years of his life with bats in his hand.

booter14
06-04-2003, 10:07 PM
good analogy, cheesehead. the weight difference between a CD case with or w/o the CD is 50% or greater(sans liner notes). The difference between a corked bat and an uncorked bat is less than 10%. Swiss cheese would have been a better argument.

Tragg
06-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Where and when do all of these hitting exhibitions that require sosa to use a corked bat in order to please his legions of worshippers take place?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Where and when do all of these hitting exhibitions that require sosa to use a corked bat in order to please his legions of worshippers take place?

I don't know, but I guarantee there are still photos and videotape of every single one of them. The man is a convicted cheat and soon he'll be a convicted liar, too.

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2003, 10:31 PM
good analogy, cheesehead. the weight difference between a CD case with or w/o the CD is 50% or greater(sans liner notes). The difference between a corked bat and an uncorked bat is less than 10%. Swiss cheese would have been a better argument.

Wrong. Jewel cases take up the bulk of the weight; the discs are minimal.

Most CDs with jewel boxes weigh about 3.2 - 4.0 ounces (I have a record label); without, they probably weigh about 2.7 - 3.5 ounces. This is about 13% difference, comparable to Sham-ME*'s bat thingy.