PDA

View Full Version : Sosa SportsCenter Special on Right Now

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
At present, Jay Mariotti is on giving his thoughts. While acknowledging what happened last night, Jay is initially saying we should "withhold judgement" until more evidence is in.

MRKARNO
06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Mike north plans to X-ray some Sammy Sosa game used bats on his radio show today

alohafri
06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
right now the Score is ripping on shamME big time

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
At present, Jay Mariotti is on giving his thoughts. While acknowledging what happened last night, Jay is initially saying we should "withhold judgement" until more evidence is in.

Umm, right. The umpires saw it, Dusty Baker saw it, Sham-ME* reacted in such a way that it appeared beyond all doubt that he knew what he was donig, plus Sham-ME* ADMITTED THAT IT WAS A CORKED BAT...what the eff is the Moron waiting for?

:moron

I've got some insiders with a full set of keys at the MLB offices. We're gonna pull an Albert Belle/Jason Grimsley on these bastiges.

MRKARNO
06-04-2003, 02:25 PM
They're gonna cut open sosa's 498th homer bat on ESPN

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:25 PM
They're going to cut open one of Sosa's bats on ESPN. I can tell you already that it will be a sham because the bat is not painted. Woudn't a corked bat need to be painted to hide the surgical scars?

Daver
06-04-2003, 02:29 PM
They're going to cut open one of Sosa's bats on ESPN. I can tell you already that it will be a sham because the bat is not painted. Woudn't a corked bat need to be painted to hide the surgical scars?

No.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Why are the going to saw open what would be a valuable bat? Couldn't they just X-Ray it?

This is the worst example of journalism (or lack thereof) I have ever seen on EPSN. This is Geraldo Rivera journalism. The two guys who possess the bat are big Sosa fans and they're doing it so that that can "clear his name." I cannot believe that ESPN is going to fall for this. Wait a minute, maybe I can.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Why are the going to saw open what would be a valuable bat? Couldn't they just X-Ray it?

That was the biggest crock I have ever watched.

1) Those guys are willing to lose 7500 dollars because if Sosa is a sham, they're going to lose a lot lot lot more money. Do they think we're all fools?

2) Why was there already a dark line where they were making their cut?

Daver
06-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
That was the biggest crock I have ever watched.

1) Those guys are willing to lose 7500 dollars because if Sosa is a sham, they're going to lose a lot lot lot more money. Do they think we're all fools?

2) Why was there already a dark line where they were making their cut?

Why are they cutting it a foot down on the barrell when the cork would be in the last 6"?

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
Why are they cutting it a foot down on the barrell when the cork would be in the last 6"?

Because the whole spectacle is bull****. And many people will fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

And one more thing. Isn't the fact that ESPN is doing two-hour special on this show how farsical this has become? I can only imagine what they would do if Derek Jeter or Barry Bonds got caught with a corked bat.

Spiff
06-04-2003, 02:45 PM

This is the worst example of journalism (or lack thereof) I have ever seen on EPSN. This is Geraldo Rivera journalism. The two guys who possess the bat are big Sosa fans and they're doing it so that that can "clear his name." I cannot believe that ESPN is going to fall for this. Wait a minute, maybe I can.

Originally posted by daver

My thoughts exactly. This is such BS. They start to cut it open then they cut away for 10 minutes. Obviously they're not gonna find anything, because they wouldn't do it if they thought there was a chance there was cork in it, and they're cutting it open way down on the bat. But all that won't stop ESPN from saying OH LOOK SAMMY DID IT ALL HIMSELF, HIS NAME IS CLEARED.

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Wait, so the fact that #498 is clean is supposed to clear him of ever using a corked bat other than last night?

:?:

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:48 PM
As ESPN looks to "clear Sosa's name," the Sosa Bashing Festival continues on the Score. I wonder how the local EPSN outlet, AM 1000, will handle this? I think McNeil-Jurko-Harry will focus on the negative, like the Score is but on a lesser scale.

gosox41
06-04-2003, 02:49 PM

Let me guess what Jay said:

:moron
You want my thoughts? Not like you had a choice in the matter. This whole corked bat incident is clearly Jerry Reinsdorf's fault. I mean if he didn't ruin Sammy's confidence while with the White Sox Sammy would not need to rely on steroids and corked bats to prove his value. Of course, part of the blame goes to Frank. Here was a guy putting up monster numbers and Sammy was jealous. Of course we all know Frank must have been using a corked bat for his whole career and should be banned from baseball for life. Even though Sammy got caught red handed, he should just bend over so I could kiss his butt.

Read my article tomorrow about how I blame Saddam Hussein and the whole Iraq situation on Jerry Reinsdorf.

Spiff
06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
did i hear that correctly? did bobby valentine just say corked bats should be legal?

they are just sitting around trying to justify it. "oh everyone cheats, what's the big deal?"

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Jesus Christ!!! What a sham!!! I hope ESPN gets rakes over the coals for this. You can help. Call up North & Buffone and/or McNeil-Jurko-Harry.

Score: 312-644-6767
ESPN 1000: 312-332-ESPN

rahulsekhar
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Let me guess what Jay said:

Read my article tomorrow about how I blame Saddam Hussein and the whole Iraq situation on Jerry Reinsdorf.

Don't forget - Jerry Krause was JR's liaision to Saddam! The fact that between the 2 Jerry's they didn't just donate the entire Bulls franchise to MJ proves it!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Mrs. PHG says the cross-sections of Sosa's bat will be on eBay within the hour. There is method to the madness behind what the bat's owner is up to. He even gets ESPN to help promote it for free!

God Bless America!

:gulp:

MRKARNO
06-04-2003, 02:58 PM
bobby Valentine should be banned from baseball from what he is saying on sportcenter right now.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Now that have the great David Justice on to opine about this. Gee, maybe they should put Henry Kissinger on next to assess how this affects the United States' diplomatic relations with Sosa's Dominican Republic. Or how about Bill "Atlantic City" Bennett to opine on the moral implications of this?

Fridaythe13thJason
06-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
bobby Valentine should be banned from baseball from what he is saying on sportcenter right now.

Yeah not only is he a lunatic and not a good sportscaster, he is making a mockery of the sport.

Hmm, who to believe, Bobby Valentine or Harold Reynolds, David Justice & a man with a doctorate in Physics.

HawkDJ
06-04-2003, 03:04 PM
You knew that bat wouldn't have cork in it. The corked bat Sammy used was black and had a big C on the top.

I'm thinking they cut a valuable bat because they could still sell it to card companies like they said.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Yeah not only is he a lunatic and not a good sportscaster, he is making a mockery of the sport.

Hmm, who to believe, Bobby Valentine or Harold Reynolds, David Justice & a man with a doctorate in Physics.

Okay, not this crazy physics professor...he's a nut. I heard a physics professor on sports radio out here from UCLA say that it makes a huge difference and basically say the exact opposite of what this guy said.

rahulsekhar
06-04-2003, 03:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/tom_verducci/news/2003/06/04/mailbag/

The crux of this and why it doens't pass the smell test (unless Sammy's IQ is truly that of the cork in his bat)

"OK, now let's continue to take Sammy at his word -- that he inadvertently took this corked bat to the plate and the very first time he used it he broke it in half, exposing the cork. Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is some world class bad luck, no? And let's not forget the carelessness and stupidity as well. You know you have a corked bat and yet you do not take extreme precautions to separate it from your gamers? Why not put tape around the barrel of the BP bat, as many hitters do, so it cannot mistakenly be used in a game? Carry it back to your locker after BP so it stays out of the bat rack. There should be no chance whatsoever that your enhanced piece of lumber could be treated as or mistaken for a legal bat. "

Exactly.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-04-2003, 03:19 PM
I think everyone should also note David Justice's candor when it comes to this. He said that in all his years there were never a bunch of bats that were corked. No one is dumb enough to keep that many around. There is usually one or two at most, and they get replaced if there is a need.

voodoochile
06-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
did i hear that correctly? did bobby valentine just say corked bats should be legal?

they are just sitting around trying to justify it. "oh everyone cheats, what's the big deal?"

If you're going to legalize cork, why not just go all the way to aluminum?

Bobby V is an idiot...

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If you're going to legalize cork, why not just go all the way to aluminum?

Bobby V is an idiot...

And to think that some of us wanted this goof to replace JM.

Spiff
06-04-2003, 03:24 PM
haha espn won't stop talking about how cynical the american public is, as though this is all a fabrication on our part.

ok karl ravech, it's our fault.

Tree
06-04-2003, 03:43 PM
I think its funny what Peter Gammons said about Sammy never being in trouble for spousal abuse. What does that have to do with him cheating?

TornLabrum
06-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tree
I think its funny what Peter Gammons said about Sammy never being in trouble for spousal abuse. What does that have to do with him cheating?

And Gammons gets it wrong, too. That rum bottle didn't hit his wife by itself.

Unregistered
06-04-2003, 03:56 PM
This is ridiculous... Harold Reynolds and Bobby V are acting like they're on Sosa's payroll. Baiting Rick Reilly by saying ''Rick, even is Sammy did cork his bat... how much distance do you think that would add to his fly balls?"
Gee fellas, I think you're kind of missing the point here... IT'S AGAINST THE RULES. PERIOD.

I hope Sammy cares as much about these idiots as they do about him...

Wyldkard
06-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Because they gave that sport's collectibles Co. an afternoon's worth of free advertising. As if anyone would sell a bat that proved they were cheating. During that segment, those guys managed to mention their website and a bunch of products they sell.

Oh well I'm sure it will turn out that ShamME is a "Victim" here. Just like the Glenbrook North girls and that Drunken DrillRod who ran attacked the umpire.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Will somebody who lives in the neighborhood PLEASE go to Clark & Addison and beat the living crap out of that Flubbie fan with the "We still love Sammy" poster! He is going to be on every last one of the newcasts this evening. The ballpark is swarming camera crews.

Oh yeah, remember to wear a hood and mask over your head. And don't forget to run like hell, too.

:)

Mediocrity
06-04-2003, 04:18 PM
And to think that some of us wanted this goof to replace JM.

Ravich is almost in tears with his insistence that cheating doesn't belong in baseball.

Valentine also commented the other day that four man pitching rotations have never worked. I guess he wasn't paying much attention when he played.

:bionic