PDA

View Full Version : Smartest thing I've ever heard Jim Rome say

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I didn't hear the show, but my buddy told me that Rome said "I wonder if the cork in Sosa's bat came from the wine bottle he beat his wife with"

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I thought it was a rum bottle, but I like the fact that this story was nicely swept under the rug and no one seems to remember that Sammy is a wifebeater

steff
06-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ozzman
I didn't hear the show, but my buddy told me that Rome said "I wonder if the cork in Sosa's bat came from the wine bottle he beat his wife with"

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I thought it was a rum bottle, but I like the fact that this story was nicely swept under the rug and no one seems to remember that Sammy is a wifebeater

No offense.. but I'm positive you're buddy is full of sheet on this one. Rome would be standing on the unemployment line had he made such a comment.

Brian26
06-04-2003, 12:31 PM
It was an empty bottle of rum anyway, which has a screw-on top.

Do your wife-beating homework!

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:34 PM
someone else started a dupe post to this one and verified that rome brought up the bottle

maurice
06-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Isn't Rome the same guy who repeatedly called the ex-Rams QB "Chris" Everett to his face? I wouldn't put this past him.

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:45 PM
yup, thats him

steff
06-04-2003, 12:47 PM
someone else started a dupe post to this one and verified that rome brought up the bottle

I'm looking for this other thread.. can you direct me to it?

I can't imagine there wouldn't be some media attention to it as well.

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:48 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20471

Clueless was on Jim Rome this afternoon and he pretty much said that Sosa* uses steriods, is selfish, is disruptive in the clubhouse, and that Sosa*'s excuse for the bat was utter BS. He even brought up the rum bottle.

steff
06-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Clueless was on Jim Rome this afternoon and he pretty much said that Sosa* uses steriods, is selfish, is disruptive in the clubhouse, and that Sosa*'s excuse for the bat was utter BS. He even brought up the rum bottle.

Yeah, I found it. What I'd like to know is what about the rum bottle. No way he said what your friend said he said - Sosa could (and should) sue the crap out of him, his employer, etc, etc.. if he did.

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:55 PM
my friend is usually pretty accurate in his reportings if he is listening to a show or whatever, but he may have stretched it some. we'll need some further verification from other listeners. however, it is jim rome, and i would not put it passed him to say something like that. this guy gets his name on the news based on controversy surrounding him and always has tongue in cheek comments about everything.

1951Campbell
06-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I found it. What I'd like to know is what about the rum bottle. No way he said what your friend said he said - Sosa could (and should) sue the crap out of him, his employer, etc, etc.. if he did.

I only heard what Clueless said--didn't hear a rum bottle crack but I did go to the can during that segment.

ozzman
06-04-2003, 12:59 PM
i confirmed with my friend that it was word for word what rome said. any other listeners out there?

Mammoo
06-04-2003, 01:01 PM
http://www.tinytim.org/images/tthome3.jpg

Plus

http://images.radcity.net/5208/28639.jpg

Equals

http://www.760thezone.com/timages/page/rome.jpg

kwschro
06-04-2003, 01:06 PM
I was listening to the Rome show today at lunch and that is exactly what he said, it was pretty funny. He had Skip Bayliss on.

Daver
06-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by kwschro
I was listening to the Rome show today at lunch and that is exactly what he said, it was pretty funny. He had Skip Bayliss on.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

voodoochile
06-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by kwschro

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Fridaythe13thJason
06-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Steff, you'd be amazed at what Rome can say. I'm not sure how he does it, but I used to listen to his show out here in LA everyday and he said anything he felt like. During the Mike Piazza/homosexual thing, he freely referred to Mike as gay and other, more derogatory names. Sometimes its fun to listen to, sometimes its downright awful, but he gets away with all of it.

voodoochile
06-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Steff, you'd be amazed at what Rome can say. I'm not sure how he does it, but I used to listen to his show out here in LA everyday and he said anything he felt like. During the Mike Piazza/homosexual thing, he freely referred to Mike as gay and other, more derogatory names. Sometimes its fun to listen to, sometimes its downright awful, but he gets away with all of it.

ShamME won't sue anyway, because it would put the whole rum bottle incident in the national spotlight and in the end he would have to open up the medical records from that night at the hospital and put them in the public domain. It would only hurt his image more than it already has been.

ozzman
06-04-2003, 01:18 PM
im going to enjoy watching sammy's ship sink tothe bottom

gosox41
06-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
ShamME won't sue anyway, because it would put the whole rum bottle incident in the national spotlight and in the end he would have to open up the medical records from that night at the hospital and put them in the public domain. It would only hurt his image more than it already has been.

Plus if he were to sue, he'd also have to show how he was damaged by the comment. He has a right to sue, but probably won't win a slander case unless he shows how the slander hurt him.

Also, if Rome was stating a fact that is part of public record, then that also hurts his case.

Bob

Dadawg_77
06-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Plus if he were to sue, he'd also have to show how he was damaged by the comment. He has a right to sue, but probably won't win a slander case unless he shows how the slander hurt him.

Also, if Rome was stating a fact that is part of public record, then that also hurts his case.

Bob

Also Sammy is a public figure and thus has less protection from liable and slander.

ihatethecubs
06-04-2003, 04:17 PM
i love how the media forgets about that story. if a sox player did it we'd hear about it every day.

Tavarin
06-04-2003, 05:03 PM
I hate Jim Rome, but that is hilarious

ChiSoxBobette
06-04-2003, 05:06 PM

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I listened to Rome today but i did'nt hear him say that but I did hear him make refrence to sammy being juiced up and how he refused to test when that sports ill. reporter asked him to last year. Rome did say he though sammy was juiced up and he asked the question if sammy's bats were loaded when he was in the race for maost HR's in a season with McGwire, Rome said that he would'nt put it past sosa loading the bats or himself.
The sad part is how the chicago sports media is coming to the defense of sosa, bruce Livine saying that it was comendable how sammy is owing up to this when Bonds,McGwire or Frank Thomas never would have.
This is what I mean when I say our owner or future owners(we can only hope) should get our own radio & TV outlets and enough with espn radio & fox sports net crap.