PDA

View Full Version : Sosa BS Lost In The Bat Controversey

34 Inch Stick
06-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Reading the Sun Times, page 140 Mike Kiley reports that the Cubs asked Sammy to take a rehab assignment before coming back. Sammy refused (as is a veteran's right under the CBA).

Both Sammy and Dusty were defensive when asked about it. Sammy said "They asked me, but let's not make a big deal out of that. It doesn't make a difference now."

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Sammy say something to the effect that the Cubs would have a tough time winning without him when he went on the DL? After the Cubs had a great road trip without him, didn't Sammy attempt to come back early, only to be told by doctors that he wasn't ready? Now we learn the Cubs reccommended some rehab but he insisted on returning, only to go into a big slump.

It seems to me Sammy cannot stand the fact that this team was winning without him. The pitchers were getting the spotlight and it was no longer the Sammy show (He had a problem sharing the spotlight with Grace also). He was desperate to get back. After he got back and sucked (he was booed at Wrigley) he was desperate to win his fans back. The corked bat was his solution.

So this whole corked bat is based on a series of selfish moves by Sammy.

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Reading the Sun Times, page 140 Mike Kiley reports that the Cubs asked Sammy to take a rehab assignment before coming back. Sammy refused (as is a veteran's right under the CBA).

Both Sammy and Dusty were defensive when asked about it. Sammy said "They asked me, but let's not make a big deal out of that. It doesn't make a difference now."

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Sammy say something to the effect that the Cubs would have a tough time winning without him when he went on the DL? After the Cubs had a great road trip without him, didn't Sammy attempt to come back early, only to be told by doctors that he wasn't ready? Now we learn the Cubs reccommended some rehab but he insisted on returning, only to go into a big slump.

It seems to me Sammy cannot stand the fact that this team was winning without him. The pitchers were getting the spotlight and it was no longer the Sammy show (He had a problem sharing the spotlight with Grace also). He was desperate to get back. After he got back and sucked (he was booed at Wrigley) he was desperate to win his fans back. The corked bat was his solution.

So this whole corked bat is based on a series of selfish moves by Sammy.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. You just *know* it's eating Sham-ME up inside to have the team succeed without him.

I'm not sure which is better, though, from my perspective. I think I'd rather have Sham-ME do well while the team flounders. I was talking to a Flub fan friend of mine last night, and I had to tell him that, if you take Sosa away, it's hard to really hate anyone on the Flubs right now, except maybe Patterson.

Now, the next question is: which would Flub fans rather have? Sham-ME with 66 zingers and the team with 95 L's, or this current team?

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Sosa's an idiot. I have nothing but disdain for him and everything he stands for. He's a fraud. He has lost what little credibility he had. It's only a matter of time before he's found guilty of steriod use and banned from baseball. That will be a great day.

People frequently criticize Frank Thomas for being selfish, yet every time I read a Cubs article, it seems as though Sosa has done something to disrupt his team. He doesn't care about winning. He doesn't care about helping his team. He cares about hitting homeruns with his corked bats. I hope Roger Clemens drills him this weekend. He's had it coming for a long time.