PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Draft tidbits and second day thread

Randar68
06-04-2003, 10:49 AM
From MLB.com. We'll see where they put Sweeney. I think Pitcher is a mistake.

Chicago: Baseball America rated Brian Anderson as the second-best five-tool talent in the draft among collegians, trailing only Rickie Weeks of Southern. The University of Arizona player is indeed a five-tool prodigy, and he's also perhaps the property of the White Sox after the club took him with the 15th pick of the first round.

"We needed a position player who could come in and move quickly, and we had targeted Brian for three or four months," White Sox director of scouting Doug Laumann said. "Training in Arizona, we had a lot of scouting and player development people see him. He's a [five] tools player and also has good performances. He can pretty much do everything."

The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder batted .366 (85-for-232) this season, with 14 home runs and 62 RBIs in 57 games.

Anderson wasn't the only five-tool prospect the White Sox selected.

Robert Valido, a high school shortstop from Miami, has impressed the scouts for some time now. With great hands, quickness and good range, Valido is already a polished defender and an above-average hitter. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder is still growing and the White Sox believe he will display even more power when he matures physically. Valido has all the tools; he just isn't as close as Anderson is to making it to the Majors.

Ryan Sweeney, a high school left-hander/outfielder from Iowa with a tailing fastball and a slider that has improved markedly this season, was taken by the White Sox with the 52nd pick. Sweeney was rated as the high school player with the best strike zone judgment by Baseball America and the 24th best prospect in the draft by that publication. The White Sox are projecting Sweeney as a pitcher.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Also from MLB.com. Sorry if this should be a link.

Sox address needs on first day
Six of club's first 10 picks position players
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

• White Sox draft picks
CHICAGO -- With a plethora of pitching talent already making its presence known throughout the White Sox minor league system, the team’s focus moved to position players for Tuesday’s opening day of the First-Year Player Draft.

Factoring in Brian Anderson, the University of Arizona center fielder taken with the 15th overall pick, the White Sox used 11 of their 20 picks and six of the first 10 on non-pitchers. They selected Ryan Sweeney in the second round, a power-hitting outfielder who was projected by some to be a first-rounder.

Sweeney played at Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a state where the high school baseball season does not begin until the summer. He might have slipped from the first to late in the second because of the lack of chances to scout him in game situations.

“Ryan is an awfully good player, but he comes from a remote part of the country (baseball-wise),” said Doug Laumann, the director of scouting for the White Sox.

“We judged him on workouts, and it’s somewhat of a gamble involved when you take a player who hasn’t shown himself in game-type competition. But we know he is a quality individual from a quality family.”

Robert Valido, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound shortstop from Miami, was taken by the White Sox in the fourth round. He played this past season at Coral Park High School, as did Guillermo Martinez, another middle infielder taken by the White Sox in the 17th round.

The teammate principle was followed again when Matthew Nachreiner, a talented right-hander pitcher with a 94 mph fastball and 84 mph slider, was chosen by the White Sox in the fifth round out of Round Rock High School in Texas. John Danks, his teammate and a member of the same high school rotation, was taken by Texas with the ninth pick overall Tuesday.

The White Sox evenly split their first-day picks, with 10 coming from the college ranks and 10 coming from the high school level.

“We look for the better player,” Laumann said of choosing college versus high school. “You can’t get yourself locked in too far going in one direction.

“Our board is lined up by the quality of player, not necessarily pitcher or position player or college or high school. We go by the top 100 players, put it by position and then go by organizational needs. If two guys were close, we would lean toward the position player this year.”

The White Sox took Clinton King, a record-setting power hitter for Southern Mississippi, in the third round, with outfielder Chris Kelly taken out of Pepperdine in the sixth. James Casey, a right-handed pitcher from Azle High School in Texas taken in the seventh, began a run of six pitchers taken in the next seven rounds.

Those pitchers included John Russ (RHP, Frank Phillips Junior College) in the eighth round, Fraser Dizard (LHP, USC) in the 10th, Richard Brooks (RHP, North Tanawanda High School in New York) in the 11th and Donald Veal (Buena High School in Arizona) in the 12th. David Cook, an outfielder from Miami of Ohio, broke that streak with his ninth-round selection.

Wes Hodges, a shortstop from the Baylor High School in Tennessee, was selected in the 13th round, and the White Sox added pitchers Gregory Moviel (LHP, St. Ignatius High School in Ohio) and Cody Dickens (RHP, Surrey Community College in North Carolina) in the 15th and 16th rounds, respectively.

Cory Haggerty, an infielder from Cortland St., was taken in the 18th round, while right-handed pitcher Michael Moat from San Diego St. became the team’s 19th-round selection. Shortstop Jeffrey Schmidt, from Mira Mesa High School in San Diego, was the first day’s final pick for the White Sox in the 20th round.

Ricardo Nanita, a young player from the Dominican Republic who starred at Florida International, became one of the day’s more interesting picks for the White Sox. Touted by some as a possible top-five round selection, the five-tool player from Florida International was picked up in the 14th round.

Nanita’s .388 average, 12 home runs and 52 RBIs for the Panthers were favorably comparable to many first-round Division I collegiate picks. But Nanita becomes more of a project, at this point, as do many picks after the first few rounds.

“He’s a very good runner,” Laumann said of Nanita. “We will watch him, like other picks, and make sure what we got.”

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

MarkEdward
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Stuff I'm looking for today:

- More college pitchers, preferably from Division One schools.

- Less high school players.

- More college position players.

Should the Sox even bother drafting Powell? Isn't it almost a sure thing that he'll return to college now?

I'm going to be out of the house for most of the day, so I won't be able to chat about the draft with ya'll today.

chosk8
06-04-2003, 11:30 AM
23rd round

RHP/OF John Hurd generated modest interest as a strong-armed right fielder and No. 3 hitter for the College of Southern Idaho, but it escalated considerably when he was tried as a closer. Hurd pitched for the first time last year and scouts took notice this spring when his fastball sat at 92-93 and peaked at 95 mph. An 83-84 mph slider remains a work in progress.

Tough to find info on these second day guys. I'll keep looking.

chosk8
06-04-2003, 11:33 AM
21st and 22nd picks

Matt Lenderman - HS catcher
Travis Doyle - HS pitcher

Randar68
06-04-2003, 11:34 AM
21st round:

MATTHEW LENDERMAN PLANO EAST SR HS C R/R 5'11" 205 1984-04-18 HS
COMMENT: Strong. Slight open, upright stance. Good strength. Hand quickness. Good receiving skills. Strong runner. Has passion for game. Wants pro ball.

22nd round: Draft and Follow candidate

TRAVIS DOYLE GRAND RAPIDS CC LHP L/L 6'5" 205 1983-08-15 JR

23rd round:

JOHN HURD COL SOUTHERN IDAHO RHP R/R 5'10" 175 1983-01-29 JR
COMMENT: Small frame. Lean, wiry build. Small sized RHP with live arm. Plus fastball with good movement inside. Airs it out in late relief. Needs to develop secondary pitches. Short history on the hill.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Should the Sox even bother drafting Powell? Isn't it almost a sure thing that he'll return to college now?

I would, but I would also spend the 3th or 4th round money if that's what it took to sign him. The Sox shouldn't bother because they wouldn't spend the cash.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would, but I would also spend the 3th or 4th round money if that's what it took to sign him. The Sox shouldn't bother because they wouldn't spend the cash.

Powell was drafted by the Cubs.

chosk8
06-04-2003, 11:49 AM
25th round

3B Antoin Gray finished fourth in Division I with a .449 average last year and projects as an offensive second baseman. Played at Southern University with Ritchie Weeks.

Gray hit 19 home runs as a junior. He's got a wicked right handed hack and a good glove and arm as well.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Powell was drafted by the Cubs.

As a backup plan to Tony Ritchie??? I doubt they would sign both, but we'll see.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 11:55 AM
24th round:

BURKE BALDWIN NEUQUA VALLEY HS LHP R/L 6'5" 215 1985-05-28 HS

Local kid from Naperville

25th round:

ANTOIN GRAY SOUTHERN U 3B R/R 5'10" 200 1981-05-19

Chisoxfn
06-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Thats interesting. So the Sox are going to use Sweeney as a pitcher. I'd prefer using him as a hitter, mainly because I think he's a better a talent in that area.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
As a backup plan to Tony Ritchie??? I doubt they would sign both, but we'll see.

He was the 4th catcher they selected, 3rd collegian. They'll definietely sign Jake Fox (3rd rounder), and possibly Richie. Hopefully they break the bank again and get Powell in .

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:08 PM
He was the 4th catcher they selected, 3rd collegian. They'll definietely sign Jake Fox (3rd rounder), and possibly Richie. Hopefully they break the bank again and get Powell in .

They got 3 of the top 10 catchers in the draft, huh? How about the Cubs stop hogging all the backstops! Sox need them badly!

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Thats interesting. So the Sox are going to use Sweeney as a pitcher. I'd prefer using him as a hitter, mainly because I think he's a better a talent in that area.

I haven't seen a Sox scout or rep. quoted on that yet. I'll wait to make a judgement, but I think he's a better hitting prospect as well.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2003, 12:11 PM
They got 3 of the top 10 catchers in the draft, huh? How about the Cubs stop hogging all the backstops! Sox need them badly!

I think the HS catcher has the best upside, Matthew LaPorta.

OfficerKarkovice
06-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen a Sox scout or rep. quoted on that yet. I'll wait to make a judgement, but I think he's a better hitting prospect as well.

You know I would love to say that too...but the 0-3 with 3 K's I took against him the first time I faced him might lead my opinion to be slightly biased.

chosk8
06-04-2003, 12:21 PM
27th round

Dwayne Pollok, RHP, Texas A & M

http://sports.tamu.edu/bios.php?SID=MBA&PID=260

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
26th round:

LOGAN WILLIAMSON PENSACOLA CATHOLIC HS LHP L/L 6'0" 190 1985-03-31 HS
COMMENT: Medium, solid build. Similar to Jeff Fassero. Has feel for pitching. Savvy for game. Competes. Good athlete. Likes to use change a lot.

27th round:

DWAYNE POLLOK TEXAS A&M U RHP R/R 6'3" 195 1980-11-12 4YR

28th round:

PETER POPE MERIDIAN CC 3B R/R 6'1" 195 1984-02-26 JR

Vsahajpal
06-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Just found out that Richie is leaving FSU after the CWS, so that's at least 2 of the 4. BA thinks Powell will return to USC.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Just found out that Richie is leaving FSU after the CWS, so that's at least 2 of the 4. BA thinks Powell will return to USC.

I would have to guess so.

It'll be interesting to see if the C the Phillies got late yesterday will now sign. Philly took a very educated pick.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I would have to guess so.

It'll be interesting to see if the C the Phillies got late yesterday will now sign. Philly took a very educated pick.

Yep, but it still doesn't make up for the rest of their horrible draft.

joecrede
06-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Phil Rogers From Baseball America:

'After stockpiled pitching in recent years, the White Sox spent six of their first 10 picks on position players. Their second pick was outfielder Ryan Sweeney, a power hitter from Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They also took Clinton King, a record-setting power hitter for Southern Mississippi, in the third round.

While the White Sox took 11 position players and nine pitchers during the first day of the draft, the top four picks were all position players.

"This year we decided to lean a little more to position players," Laumann said. "We feel our minor leagues have quite a few pitchers down there. But we didn't really have that impact, power player down there."'

Inferring from Laumann's quote here that they will use Sweeney as an OF'er.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:43 PM
29th round pick. Good pick, DFE candidate.

GERARDO CABRERA MIAMI DADE CC SOUTH CF R/R 6'1" 173 1983-12-23 JR 56K | 300K
COMMENT: Body similar to Tom Goodwin. Gap to gap hitter. Soft hands. Long strides. Arm strength with carry. Can play all three outfield positions. Solid defensive outfielder with tools. Makes plays in outfield look easy. Surprising power.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

There was a MLB blurb that said he was going to be used as a pitcher, but everything else, although nothing has been explicitly stated, tends towards him starting in the OF.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 12:53 PM
30th round pick:

BRANDON LOWE VIDALIA HS 1B L/R 6'3" 205 1985-03-13 HS 56K | 300K
COMMENT: Same body type as Travis Lee. Occasionally short stroke with easy, fluid swing. Good wrists. Can drive gaps. Mostly line drive stroke right now. Ball jumps off bat at times. Some actions at 1B. Power hitter.

Chisoxfn
06-04-2003, 01:12 PM
All I can say is they have to just make up their minds and tell Sweeney what they want him to do. Sometimes teams fart around and wait a while and that can effect a player.

I doubt the Sox are doing this. By reading into it, and some other things you'd think they would be using him as an offensive player. Only that one piece mentioned him as a pitcher.

I'll just wait till someone in the organization is quoted (Direct Quote) or once he signs we can just see what they do with him.

Question: How long do players in college usually sit before going to the minors, if they sign right away. Do they just go straight their, with maybe a week break? Only reason I ask is that I think Anderson is pretty much signed, sealed an delivered, so the Sox are going to have to send him somewhere and since he's a college player I figure its more likely for him to go to Kannapolis instead of one of the short season teams.

Phil Rogers From Baseball America:

'After stockpiled pitching in recent years, the White Sox spent six of their first 10 picks on position players. Their second pick was outfielder Ryan Sweeney, a power hitter from Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They also took Clinton King, a record-setting power hitter for Southern Mississippi, in the third round.

While the White Sox took 11 position players and nine pitchers during the first day of the draft, the top four picks were all position players.

"This year we decided to lean a little more to position players," Laumann said. "We feel our minor leagues have quite a few pitchers down there. But we didn't really have that impact, power player down there."'

Randar68
06-04-2003, 01:26 PM
31st round:

ROBERT GRINESTAFF JEFFERSONVILLE HS C L/R 6'1" 190 1984-10-27 HS

32nd round pick:

JOSHUA MORGAN MERIDIAN CC OF R/R 6'3" 210 1984-07-29 JR

Randar68
06-04-2003, 01:51 PM
33rd through 35th round picks

ALEX ACEVEDO DR CARLOS GONZALEZ SS S/R 6'1" 172 1985-01-18 HS
COMMENT: Medium frame. Good looking middle infield body. Aggressive, proper hitting approach. Loose actions in field. Good baseball habits and game concentration. Improved maturity and strength will improve offensive game.

SCOTT MARTIN DELAWARE ST U RF R/R 0'6" 205 1981-05-16 4YR

SEAN THOMPSON U CALIFORNIA-SANTA BARB LHP L/L 6'2" 195 1981-01-03 4YR

Randar68
06-04-2003, 02:09 PM
36th round:

PAUL MOVIEL KISHWAUKEE COL RHP R/R 6'6" 220 1982-09-28 JR

Trying to find out if he's related to Gregory Moviel (same size... hmmmm)

Update, Paul is Greg's brother. Looks like this might be an attempt at a package deal???

http://studentsports.theinsiders.com/2/56102.html

Randar68
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
37th, 38th, 39th and 40th round picks:

NEIL GIESLER OKALOOSA-WALTON JC 3B L/R 6'5" 175 1983-11-06 JR

MICHAEL MENDRIN CENTRAL HS LHP L/L 0'62" 180 1984-12-10 HS

JASON SULLIVAN JOPLIN HS RHP R/R 6'4" 205 1984-07-25 HS

MATTHEW DEACHLER JAMES MADISON U C R/R 5'11" 205 1981-06-06 4YR

joecrede
06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Arizona high school lefty Donald Veal is regarded as one of the more projectable pitchers in the draft for his athleticism and effortless delivery. A 4.0 student, Veal is a tough sign because he has aspirations of becoming a doctor. But he isn't unsignable. He is reportedly looking for second- third-round money, though, which the White Sox might be able to do.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 02:53 PM

also note...

The commissioner's office has successfully tried to decrease bonuses, and many expect this year's numbers to deflate by 10-12 percent. Also, any team who plans on offering a bonus in excess of $150,000 after the sixth round needs approval from the commissioner's office. If they proceed without approval, the organization's ownership will receive a stern warning of displeasure, according to sources.

Daver
06-04-2003, 03:20 PM
I found this kind of interesting.

Wednesday 4:02 PM ET
Athletics Take a Pass
The A's were the first team to stop drafting, by passing in the 41st round.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by daver

Athletics Take a Pass

Interesting you wouldn't just take random JC guys and try and DFE them. Seems kind of dumb to me.

seventytwo
06-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by daver

Athletics Take a Pass

I'm sure Bill Beane will be trumpeted as a genius for this "move."

Daver
06-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Interesting you wouldn't just take random JC guys and try and DFE them. Seems kind of dumb to me.

That's exactly what I thought,make the pool of ptoential signings as large as possible,especially when your budget is going to limit what you spend on bonuses.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 03:36 PM
41st through 45th round picks:

ROLANDO ACOSTA PIMA CC SS R/R 5'11" 170 1983-04-13 JR

ERIC EVERLY OLNEY CENTRAL JC LHP L/L 6'3" 200 1983-12-08 JR

DUSTIN SHAFER RUSSELL HS SS R/R 6'3" 185 1985-03-31 HS

BRANDON JOHNSON CROWDER COL 2B L/R 6'0" 195 1984-07-23 JR

MITCHELL WOOLF COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO RHP R/R 6'3" 170 1984-02-18 JR

Can we please stop drafting/employing Duane Shafer's kids!?!?!?

Josh is bad enough, please not another one!

Daver
06-04-2003, 04:20 PM
This is rather amusing.

Reds Having Some Fun as The End Draws Near
In one of the more entertaining selections of the two-day affair, the Reds came on the conference call for their 44th round selection by blaring the Notre Dame fight song, and then selecting Fighting Irish QB Carlyle Holliday, who they announced initially as a quarterback, then corrected to outfielder. Holliday did not play baseball in college.

kermittheefrog
06-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

On the conference call they announced him as an outfielder. Most if not all teams anounce the players they are drafting at the position they want them. I would assume they want Sweeney as an outfielder. I'd be pretty pissed if they want him as HS pitcher.

Randar68
06-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Last 5 picks:

GREGORY DEL GEORGE MONSIGNOR FARRELL HS SS S/R 5'11" 165 1985-11-27 HS

RICHARD O'BRIEN CATHOLIC HS C R/R 5'11" 199 1984-08-11 HS

MICHAEL ALVAREZ MONSIGNOR PACE HS RHP R/R 6'1" 189 1984-03-05 HS

TIMOTHY EDMEADES BUENA REGIONAL HS 3B L/R 6'3" 205 1984-11-16 HS

SEAN GASTON BROWNSBURG HS C L/R 6'1" 170 1985-02-12 HS

stefaninsane
06-06-2003, 08:29 AM
the sox just signed boone logan, their 20th round pick from last yr..got any info on him?

Randar68
06-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
the sox just signed boone logan, their 20th round pick from last yr..got any info on him?

Drafted from Sandra Day O'Connor HS in Texas and attended Temple JC in Texas this year. He is 6' 5" and 200. Looks like he will be assigned to Great Falls of the Pioneer League.

He was one of the top 100 unsigned picks from the last draft, but I don't know much else about him and can't find any Juco stats.

Sorry.

Daver
06-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Drafted from Sandra Day O'Connor HS in Texas and attended Temple JC in Texas this year. He is 6' 5" and 200. Looks like he will be assigned to Great Falls of the Pioneer League.

He was one of the top 100 unsigned picks from the last draft, but I don't know much else about him and can't find any Juco stats.

Sorry.

Left handed power pitcher.