PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Tribune's handling of the INCIDENT

fquaye149
06-04-2003, 08:29 AM
can anyone tell me how the tribune has handled this whole corked bat deal? i am curious as to what kind of spin they put on it

whitesoxwilkes
06-04-2003, 08:52 AM
They're playing up the whole "grabbed the wrong bat" angle for all it's worth. Rogers wrote a great column though saying there's no need for him to cheat.

Hangar18
06-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Next....theres going to be bombshell "Evidence" that the Guy that was using Sammys bat wasnt Sammy at all. Theyre going to say Sammy never wears a "goattee" and the guy wearing his Uniform is sporting a Goatee. "No way Sammy could do something like that...."

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Here's how the Cubune's print edition handles it in Wednesday's paper.

Front page.
Splintered-swing photo, page 1, col. 1, above the fold. Story headline: Apologetic Sosa: I picked the wrong bat. Sub-headline: Says corked one meant for practice. Written by our old pal, Paul Sullivan.

Sports Section.
Front-Page headline: Sosa takes the hit. Sub-headline: Admits using corked bat after ejection but calls it 'innocent mistake'. Written by Johnny Rosenstein. Starts with "innocent mistake" explanation before even explaining what Sosa was guilty of. This is what is called unbiased reporting. :smile:

In the Wake of the News, page 1, col. 1, above the fold, by Rick Morrissey. Headline: Sammy's act a lot harder to buy now.

Mike Downey column, page 1, col. 4, below the fold. Headline: Sosa's bat, credibility shatter.

Sports front page also features a large picture of teary-eyed Sammy at the press conference, and a smaller photo of umpires inspecting bat (contents hidden). Above the fold is a close-up of Sosa swinging the splintered corked bat, with a dark spot in the center of barrel. Quotes from Sosa ("I don't need this, I'm a really strong guy.") and teammate Lenny Harris ("Pretty much we lost our best player.") bracket the photo.

Inside, Phil Rogers has the headline on a page 6 feature "SOSA TAKES THE HIT". Headline: No need for Sosa to cheat. Also on page 6, Jimmy Greenfield's "Reaction on Field", headline: Players hope Sosa not tainted. Below the fold, by Jimmy Greenfield and Chris Malcolm, "Fan Reaction", headline: Followers express surprise, disbelief.

Continuing the "SOSA TAKES THE HIT" feature, page 7 headlines another piece by Jimmy Greenfield. Headline: Umpire McCelland growing accustomed to 'strange bats'

Edit:
I forgot to mention the back page of sports, which also contains "THE LAST ROW" feature, headline: Hollow achievement. Sub-headline: Sammy Sosa isn't the first major leaguer to be accused of doctoring a bat. Some players swore they were guilty only once; others admit their bats spent time in the carpenter's shop. A large picture of Cleveland's Albert Belle is featured. Short blurbs on other famous bat incidents include Belle, Billy Hatcher, George Brett, Graig Nettles, Amos Otis, and Norm Cash.

No other stories on Sosa in Wednesday's edtion.

Who is the big winner in all of this? Clearly Northwestern. Breaking news earlier on Tuesday centered on NU's admission that their doctor was responsible for the "missing" medical records after the death of football player Rashidi Wheeler. That story got buried on page 8. Not even the celebrity of a press conference and quotes by Johnny Cocharan could garner better ink for the victim's family. The Mildcats' athletic department truly dodged a bullet today.

The Sox lost, too, but there is no news in that.

Viva Magglio
06-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox lost, too, but there is no news in that.

Did you get your Tribune home delivered this morning? That may be due to the fact that the Sox played a late game. Those of you who get your newspapers home delivered will not see late game recaps, as you probably already know. If you get your newspapers at city CTA El stops or Downtown, those are later editions with late game recaps.

whitesoxwilkes
06-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Did you get your Tribune home delivered this morning? That may be due to the fact that the Sox played a late game. Those of you who get your newspapers home delivered will not see late game recaps, as you probably already know. If you get your newspapers at city CTA El stops or Downtown, those are later editions with late game recaps.

I get lucky...I live in the Loop and have home delivery, so I get the late sports edition.

xil357
06-04-2003, 10:23 AM
The only one in the Trib with any stones at all is Rick Morrissey, and even he plays up the "how bad it is for the fans" sob story angle.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

You misunderstood me. The Sox were covered. Their loss was covered on page 3, along with the draft. Greenstein had the usual "Inside the Sox" piece on page 4, too. This is ALL typical coverage for a lousy ballclub playing on the road in yet another losing effort. That's why I said there was no news here.

fquaye149
06-04-2003, 04:12 PM
i never ever thought i'd see the day morrissey got off the sosa wagon. this will be a temporary thing though, i'm sure.

did you see the article where he talked about how the cubs were winning without sosa and it was probably making sammy feel bad?

jeremyb1
06-04-2003, 04:53 PM
if you actually read roger's article its by no means anti-sammy. he says sammy doesn't need it yet he grew desperate because he hasn't hit a home run for a while. any column that depicts sammy as making a premeditated decision to use a corked bat in order to improve his performance at the plate is far from flattering in my opinion.

Foulke You
06-04-2003, 07:42 PM
The Sun-Times pulled no punches today. The headline of the back page w/full color photo "BUSTED!". The front page w/full color photo "Say it ain't So-sa!" with sub headline "Sammy caught cheating with corked bat."