PDA

View Full Version : Does

hsnterprize
06-04-2003, 07:15 AM
It's not 12 hours since Sammy Sosa got caught with a corked bat, and already, the media feeding frenzy has begun. As of now, it's 7 o'clock in the morning, and this story is so big on both a local and national perspective, that even WGN-TV can't avoid it, sweep it under the rug, or spin it to make their favorite player look good. WGN is even leading their morning news casts with the Sammy story...this story is just that big. There's no denying the fact...whether Sosa meant to use that bat or not, he used it, it was corked, and he's going to be suspended.

However, there are Sammy supporters that are already complaining that there is too much media coverage about this event. Never mind that probably the most popular baseball player in Chicago was caught with his hand in the cookie jar...it was a "mistake", an "accident", and he says he's sorry. In my eyes...he deserves whatever he gets.

Look...I'm for showing compassion for someone who makes a mistake. I'll give Sammy the benefit of the doubt for, as he says, using this bat by mistake. There was a "C" on the tip of the bat...and I'm assuming that meant "corked", but Sosa says he didn't know he was using. We all know he says he only uses such a bat for batting practice. What I want to know is why in the workd was he using corked bats in the first place? Regardless on whether he wanted to give the fans a "show" as he says, he's strong and powerful enough to hit home runs without having to cheat. As much as we like to rip on Sammy, there's simply no excuse good enough to pacify this situation. It's as simple as that.

Here's another point...I've seen the bag with Sammy's bats in it, and he has a TON of bats in his arsenal. Why in the world would anyone use a corked bat for any reason? I thought with all the negative repercussions a player suffers if he's caught using a tainted bat in a game that the rules would also apply to exhibitions and batting practices. Well, I guess MLB should implement such a rule. I've already written my suggestion about how MLB can check for bats and punish those who use them. Whether or not that happens or not remains to be seen, but the whole bottom line of this situation is that MLB should suspend Sosa, and send a message that corked bats by anyone will not be tolerated. I don't care how the Cubs or Cubs' fans feel about it...they'd be rejoicing if Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez were caught with such bats.

Whether it was mistake by Sosa to use such a bat is irrelevant...he's not supposed to have corked bats in the first place. No one is supposed to have corked bats in the first place...no one.

Paulwny
06-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

Whether it was mistake by Sosa to use such a bat is irrelevant...he's not supposed to have corked bats in the first place. No one is supposed to have corked bats in the first place...no one.

I suspect many hr hitters have a "Special Bat" for such things as the All Star HR Contest. Their was some talk last year about the "Special Ball" that mlb provided for the contest.

The "Special Bat" should be kept in a "Special" place not the club house were the "I grabbed it by mistake" excuse can be used.