PDA

View Full Version : **** you, ABC!

doublem23
06-04-2003, 01:14 AM
In their discussion of Corkgate, some bonehead ABC reporter mentioned the last two players to get caught with a corked bat, Wilton Guerrero in 1997 and, as he said it, "White Sox outfielder Albert Belle in 1994."

Never put anything past the Chicago media. Why get the facts straight when you can just "skew" them? ****ing Chicago sports media. Worst in the nation.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2003, 01:19 AM
I'm just surprised that no one has tried to blame the Sosa incident on Frank Thomas. I fully expect Mariotti to write a column bashing Frank tomorrow morning. I can see it now:

:moron

"Sosa's bat was corked, but I'm sure he isn't the only Chicago athlete guilty of this crime. I happen to know that Frank Thomas has fifty corked bats sitting in the White Sox clubhouse right now."

T Dog
06-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
In their discussion of Corkgate, some bonehead ABC reporter mentioned the last two players to get caught with a corked bat, Wilton Guerrero in 1997 and, as he said it, "White Sox outfielder Albert Belle in 1994."

You mean Orioles outfielder Albert Belle -- when he was with Cleveland? When last we saw Belle, he wore a Baltimore uniform. During the corked bat incident, he was an Indian -- an opponent of the Sox at the time. Wasn't the matter exposed by the White Sox? Or at least by former Red Sox catcher Carlton Fisk?

Why not say for purposes of tonight's disgrace that it is former White Sox outfielder Sammy Sosa who was caught with a corked bat?

doublem23
06-04-2003, 02:36 AM
That's the pathetic thing about it... Even though the footage they showed of Belle was taken at old New Comiskey Park, he was clearly standing there in his Cleveland jersey. Yet, they still got it wrong. Unbelievable.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
Why not say for purposes of tonight's disgrace that it is former White Sox outfielder Sammy Sosa who was caught with a corked bat?

LMAO! Good one!

I think T Dog is on to something. We'll know the Chicago Media has officially thrown Sammy Sosa over the side when they start referring to him as "former-White Sox Sammy Sosa."

:moron
"You can take the boy out of Smutville, but you can't..."

moochpuppy
06-04-2003, 09:01 AM
We all know the Cubs were deceived by the Sox when they traded Sammy to them. "It was all the corked bats that Sammy was using, we should have kept George Bell." stated a retired Larry Himes

xil357
06-04-2003, 09:16 AM
.... for perpetuating myths and lies. Click this link to the Sporting News, it tells you all you need to know about about the mentality not only of the media, but more importantly, Cubs fans. Pay special attention to the last three paragraphs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20030603/476671.html

Sosa and the Cubs have made a fortune out manipulating unintelligent and unsuspecting fans and the media to their advantage. Consider:

Wrigley being obscenely homer-friendly (360 foot power alleys, "Sandberg basket," higher daytime temperatures with rising air, minuscule foul territory, ivy)

Sosa and his rapid muscle growth beginning around 1996, to the extent that his HEAD has grown in size. (I understand that athletes can build muscle through intense weight training, but how, exactly, does one "pump iron" to make your head bigger? Smells like steroids, andro or human growth horomone to me. I don't even need to mention that he has mysteriously lost body mass this year (coincidence with the beginning of MLB's new random testing policy?) and his outrage last year when offered the opportunity to exonerate himself fully by taking drug test.

Now, this corking incident. As Torn Labrum has so graciously explained, corking a bat doesn't substantially increase power.

Isn't the idea of batting practice to get your timing down and/or work on your swing? Why use a type of bat that you "absolutely" would never intentionally use in a game for batting practice? Doesn't it make sense, from a timing/mechanics standpoint, to use the exact same types of bats in BP as you would be using in games? Not very smart. Not very team-oriented.

If we take Sosa at his word, that he uses those kinds of bats for BP, doesn't that mean that it is more important to him to put on a show of power for fans than it is to work on his timing / swing, especially with his propensity for striking out? Again, not very team-oriented.

At one point, he said he only uses the corked bats for exhibitions. Then the story was changed to only for BP. Either he uses the corked bats for both of them, demonstrating more that he is more interested in showmanship than helping his team, or he was lying to cover up his cheating. Was he lying when he said he used them only for BP? Or was he lying when he said he was using them only for exhibitions?

I won't even get into the deification of The Urinal as some kind of baseball Shrine with crowd shots of hot women and Cubs fans at other team's parks.

The media buried the fact that the imbecile who attacked the ump at the Cell was a Cubs fan. Let's see them try to bury this over the next few days.

This incident is the test of the Chicago and the national media. So far the only one who has earned a passing grade is Rick Morrissey.

This is the catalyst we need to REALLY launch our e-mail campaigns and boycotts of Cubs, Tribune, Sun-Times and Mike Murphy sponsors.

Hangar18
06-04-2003, 10:34 AM
yup. IM VERY INTERESTED in seeing how the Media plays this one off. Funny to hear cub fans saying they want to "wait to see what the League says" about all of this. HE CORKED A BAT!!!!!
WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED TO SEE/HEAR???

ihatethecubs
06-04-2003, 04:20 PM
i saw this too and i got so pissed! they said this while they were showing the shot of gene lamont on the field talking to the umps. the average idiot who doesnt know he was on the tribe at the time see this and thinks it was a sox player. also, i love hw mark giangreco was trying to downplay it and kept saying how it "happens all the time and nobody knows about it."

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
also, i love hw mark giangreco was trying to downplay it and kept saying how it "happens all the time and nobody knows about it."

:giangreco
"Enough about Sosa. Now let's roll that empty blue seat footage!"

white sox bill
06-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Simple broadcasting for simple minds...What did you expect?