PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness Manuel....

Tragg
06-03-2003, 11:33 PM
yanks Loaiza (ERA: 1.90) and Marte (ERA: 1.27) at the first whiff of trouble, yet keeps ace pitcher Flash Gordon (ERA: 4.72) in for however long it takes for him to blow yet another game.

Procol Harum
06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
yanks Loaiza (ERA: 1.90) and Marte (ERA: 1.27) at the first whiff of trouble, yet keeps ace pitcher Flash Gordon (ERA: 4.72) in for however long it takes for him to blow yet another game.

How many of us felt that Loaiza being allowed to try and pitch a complete game was about our only shot at winning this stinkin' game?

jeremyb1
06-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
How many of us felt that Loaiza being allowed to try and pitch a complete game was about our only shot at winning this stinkin' game?

nah. once loiza's pitch count was getting up and there were only two innings left i said "play it safe marte the 8th and koch the 9th and we should be set".

Fridaythe13thJason
06-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
nah. once loiza's pitch count was getting up and there were only two innings left i said "play it safe marte the 8th and koch the 9th and we should be set".

Yeah, ya know like every other team that has a setup guy and a closer. I don't get why this team is so obsessed with not letting Marte pitch longer outings. It's infuriating.

LauraJ14
06-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Loiaza only had 96 pitches when they took him out in the 8th.
I say let him keep pitching.
And where was Koch in the 9th???
I don't want to see Gordon anymore, he sucks!!!

hold2dibber
06-04-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

I agreed - but once they tied it up in the 8th, why not keep Marte out there for the 9th? Because Manuel is an idiot - "I only pitch Marte with the lead!" Give me a break. They're in a tie game in the midst of a horrible stretch of losing, Gordon has pitched poorly lately, Marte is well rested. What the hell is he pulling Marte for? I would have left him in for at least one more inning. Manuel's use of the bullpen this year (and previously) has been HORRIBLE.

Dadawg_77
06-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Jerry was playing Lefty Righty BS, while it is a factor, it is way less then how they use it, like a good lefty doesn't have a better chance the an avg righty vs a righty batter.

34 Inch Stick
06-04-2003, 09:50 AM
I said it at the start of the season and I still believe it today: Glover gets the 7th, Marte gets the 8th and Kock gets the 9th of every game. Throw in Wunsch in a relevant situation and the occasional starter going long and this staff would be set.

MHOUSE
06-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Loaiza pitched 7 great innings. So give Marte the 8th and Koch the ninth. Why let him start the 8th and put a guy on? It seems like Flash can pitch in key spots with runners on, but not to start an inning. The last two outings he got the DP and then the strikeout. Great! But the start of the next inning he imploded. Hmmm take note Jerry!

gosox41
06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

So who is the Sox 9th inning pitcher. I always thought Marte was the pitcher in the 8th and Koch in the 9th. As much as I don't like Koch, if that's the plan then they should stick with it.

Jerry's begging to be fired.

Bob

hold2dibber
06-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
So who is the Sox 9th inning pitcher. I always thought Marte was the pitcher in the 8th and Koch in the 9th. As much as I don't like Koch, if that's the plan then they should stick with it.

Jerry's begging to be fired.

Bob

For reasons that make no sense to me, that is the plan ONLY when the Sox are ahead.

And I agree that Jerry's begging to be fired. KW -- get your head out of your arse and give the man what he's clearly asking for!

Foulke You
06-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Another thing Manuel seems blind about is the fact that Gordon cannot pitch out of the stretch when runners are on base. Besides the fact that Flash shouldn't have been out there in the first place, Manuel should have recognized another "Flush" Gordon disaster in progress and immediately yanked him when Hillenbrand got on base. Gordon NEVER gets out of situations like this when the wheels start coming off the wagon. The guy is 2W-5L and I don't know how many hold situations he has blown this year. Let Marte pitch to righty batters for God sakes. He is MORE effective against righty batters this year. Right handers are only hitting .203 off of Damaso this year. When you aren't hitting, these key decisions are so important and it is clear that Manuel has no idea what he is doing.

soxruleEP
06-04-2003, 04:47 PM
And this is why Manuel shold be fired! Everybody knew that Gordon was going to blow that--I couldn't believe that he wasn't replaced after the intentional walk.

At this point, we expect to lose.

Tavarin
06-04-2003, 05:06 PM
I think Manuel wants to be fired. Why else would he leave in a guy after he has loaded the bases?

TornLabrum
06-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Tavarin
I think Manuel wants to be fired. Why else would he leave in a guy after he has loaded the bases?

He didn't want him to lose confidence? Yeah, right....

Iguana775
06-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

he should have let him pitch the inning or never had started him that inning.

Jerko
06-04-2003, 11:04 PM
I still want to know why Marte can't (isn't allowed) to face righties but Flush Gordumb is in there vs. a lefty, who got a hit by the way before the inentional walk and GW hit. Brutal. It's been Brutal for years. I used to rip Boomer Bevington, rightfully so, by saying the worst thing I ever saw in baseball was when he went to change pitchers and nobody was warming up. I would have welcomed that yesterday if only to keep Gordumb out of the game!!! I can see JM now going for his Flash card and nobody being up there. He would shrug his shoulders, leave, and fire the batting coach, since it WAS his decision after all. That's how screwed up this team is. Oh looks like Minnesota will win again against a team that's 9.5 games up against the team that is beating our brains in. And lucky us, we get the Dodgers next. I hope the people that go to that sleepover night don't fall asleep before they get their money's worth (Manuel getting fired on the brand new big screen scoreboard would be a start)