PDA

View Full Version : Randar

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2001, 05:29 PM
This is from the Sporting News just wanted to get your comments:

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

The team's farm system is loaded with pitching talent, but righthander Matt Guerrier is not in danger of slipping through the cracks. While he has yet to be added to the 40-man roster, the 6-3, 185-pounder is making a rapid run to the major leagues.

After being selected in the 10th round of the 1999 draft out of Kent State, Guerrier was projected to be a closer. The 23-year-old pitcher combined to save 26 games and had a 1.86 ERA at Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham last season.

After observing his live arm, the team stretched out Guerrier this season while converting him into a starting pitcher. It's pretty obvious he should have a future home in the team's rotation. Guerrier opened the season at Class AA and was promoted after going 11-3 with a 3.10 ERA. At Class AAA Charlotte, Guerrier was 3-1 with a 3.66 ERA.

Barring an unforeseen development, Guerrier has earned an invitation to spring training next February. If he continues to progress at his current pace, Guerrier should be with the team at some point next season.

Randar68
08-20-2001, 05:35 PM
Well, I still believe his future with the Sox is as a reliever. He may/may-not be capable of closing, but the starting picture in Chicago is clouded with much more talented options. So far, he hasn't exactly dominated AAA, but he has only been there a shoort time. With Rauch, Garland, Kip, Wright, Malone, Ulacia, and Lantigua all not more than a year or 2 at the most from arriving, he really has no place as a starter. Will the Sox use him as valuable trade material??? I don't know, but I just don't see how he fits.

Spiff
08-20-2001, 06:41 PM
That Sporting News blurb is the reason I asked about him the other day.

It seemed encouraging.