PDA

View Full Version : The Media's Cubs-Yankees Orgy

Viva Magglio
06-03-2003, 06:11 PM
This is getting completely silly. The media has begun to act like the coming of the New York Yankees to Wrigley Field this weekend is nothing short of the Second Coming of Christ. It's a big series, granded. And potential baseball history could take place if Roger Clemens gets No. 300. However, it's only Tuesday and the Yankmee orgy is in full swing.

Meanwhile, has the media made any mention of us playing the Los Angeles Dodgers this weekend? You know, it's our first meeting with the Dodgers since the 1959 World Series.

Konerkoholic
06-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Give it up. Of course the media is going to cover the Cubs-Yankees series, for the following reasons:

1) The Cubs have a winning record.
2) It's the Yankees.
3) Wrigley Field is the site of Babe Ruth's legendary "called" home run.
4) You have Clemens vs. Wood for win 300 and possibly 4000 strikeouts.

The attention is there for a good reason. Instead of being bitter about it, I'm going to watch the Clemens game.

LuvSox
06-03-2003, 07:07 PM
The Sox are not a "national" team. We are the only people that care about them. (JR's fault.) It's weird, I've never rooted for the Yankees before.

Viva Magglio
06-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Give it up...

No, I will not give it up. I already stated the importance of the Yankees coming to town, but we not need a full blown orgy over it.

LuvSox
06-03-2003, 07:27 PM
The BoSox/Pirates are wearing throwback jerseys in honor of their last meeting, the 1903 World Series. I realize the Sox/Dodgers series isn't a 100 year anniversary but do you think they will wear '59 jerseys? If the Sox have any say so, I doubt it.

MHOUSE
06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah they are making a huge deal out of this. Chip Carey goes a far as to say he hoped for Clemens to not win his last two just so he could see him beat the Cubs at Wrigley for number 300. What a dolt! He wants to root against his team so he can see #300. Stone let him have it for that one. I guess it will only add to the "prestige" of Wrigley Field. What a joke. I wanna barf.

Viva Magglio
06-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
The BoSox/Pirates are wearing throwback jerseys in honor of their last meeting, the 1903 World Series. I realize the Sox/Dodgers series isn't a 100 year anniversary but do you think they will wear '59 jerseys? If the Sox have any say so, I doubt it.

I have not heard that, but I will be in St. Louis this weekend for the Cardinals-Orioles series. In a sense, the Orioles will only be there for the Friday and Sunday's games. On Saturday, the Cardinals are taking on the St. Louis Browns with the teams wearing throwback jerseys.

DonkeyKongerko
06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
but do you think they will wear '59 jerseys? If the Sox have any say so, I doubt it.

I think the Sox using the '59 jerseys would be an insult to their former wearers.

Procol Harum
06-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
I think the Sox using the '59 jerseys would be an insult to their former wearers.

True 'dat....

LuvSox
06-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko

Good point

T Dog
06-04-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
No, I will not give it up. I already stated the importance of the Yankees coming to town, but we not need a full blown orgy over it.

Don't give it up. You can only hope that fans who go year in and year out without caring if the Cubs win or lose will feel genuine pain this year when it inevitably falls apart.

At the Sox opener, I said I hoped Sosa would break a wrist or leg or something so we wouldn't have to put up with all of his 500th home run crap. As things turned out, Sosa might have been better off.

Hangar18
06-04-2003, 09:33 AM
I too am REALLY SICK AND TIRED OF THE MEDIA, GIDDY WITH PUPPY-LOVE EXCITEMENT over this series. Has anyone Informed them that the White Sox have been playing the Yankees for the entire 20th Century? The Media is behaving like the Cubs are some 2nd rate expansion team, playing a Major League Team for the 1st time ever. Ridiculous.