PDA

View Full Version : *Official* - First Round Draft Thread


Randar68
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Please post first round draft posts here.

Order of picks is:

FIRST ROUND
___Club ____ Pick From __ For (Type)
1. Devil Rays
2. Brewers
3. Tigers
4. Padres
5. Royals
6. Cubs
7. Orioles
8. Pirates
9. Rangers
10. Rockies
11. Indians
12. Mets
13. Blue Jays
14. Reds
15. White Sox
16. Marlins
17. Red Sox
18. Indians ____ Phillies __ Thome (A)
19. D-Backs ____ Mariners _ Colbrunn (B)
20. Expos
21. Twins
22. Giants ______ Astros __ Kent (A)
23. Angels
24. Dodgers
25. Athletics
26. Athletics ____ Giants ___ Durham (A)
27. Yankees
28. Cardinals
29. D-Backs
30. Royals ______ Braves __ Byrd (B)

SUPPLEMENTAL FIRST
____Club___For (Type)
31. Indians __ Thome
32. Red Sox _ Floyd
33. Athletics _ Durham
34. Giants ___ Kent
35. Braves ___ Glavine
36. Braves ___ Remlinger
37. Mariners __ Mayberry*

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Top five players I'd like to see the Sox take with the first pick:

1. Mitch Maier
2. Aaron Hill
3. Conor Jackson
4. Brian Anderson
5. Brad Snyder

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Top five players I'd like to see the Sox take with the first pick:

1. Mitch Maier
2. Aaron Hill
3. Conor Jackson
4. Brian Anderson
5. Brad Snyder

I would also not be upset about Brandon Wood, Ryan Wagner, or Nick Markakis.

However, I had a nightmare last night that the Sox had made a pre-draft deal with Miguel Vega for below-slot money. ARRRGH! ;-)

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would also not be upset about Brandon Wood, Ryan Wagner, or Nick Markakis.

However, I had a nightmare last night that the Sox had made a pre-draft deal with Miguel Vega for below-slot money. ARRRGH! ;-)

I've been having the same dream about Anthony Gwynn :smile:.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:05 PM
With the first pick in the draft, Tampa Bay selects Delmon Young


Delmon Young, of

School: Camarillo HS Class: Sr.
Hometown: Camarillo, Calif.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 205
Birthdate: Sep. 14, 1985.
College Commitment: U. of Arizona.

Scouting Report: Young, who will turn 18 in September, has been one of the most celebrated youth baseball players ever. He has starred in national showcase events even before he attended high school, and was recognized as Baseball America's Youth Player of the Year in 2002 when he shattered the tournament home run record at the World Junior Championship. He has excelled in high school and summer league play as both a hitter and pitcher. He has dominated his competition much like his brother Dmitri, an eight-year major league veteran, did when he was a southern California high school legend himself before signing with the Cardinals in 1991 as a first-round pick. Young is an outstanding hitter, particularly for his age. He routinely puts on a big show in batting practice and carries his power into games, often hitting balls 450 feet or better. He has extremely quick hands and the ball jumps off his bat. Young also has a powerful arm, and has been clocked up to 95 mph on the mound. He elected not to pitch this spring because of a basketball-related ankle injury that delayed the start of his season and some nagging shoulder soreness. Even with his obvious arm strength, Young projects as a left fielder in pro ball. He's shown average speed in the past, but there's some stiffness in his running, limiting him to a corner. He may even up at first base as he bulks up. Young is certain to be one of the first two or three players drafted; he has a commitment to Arizona as a bargaining chip.

Spiff
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
haha, DEVIL RAYS, PLEASE CHECK YOUR MUTE BUTTON.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:07 PM
With the second pick, the Brewers select 2B Rickie Weeks of Southern U.


School: Southern U. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Altamonte Springs, Fla.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 195. Birthdate: Sep. 13, 1982.
Previously Drafted: Never drafted.

Scouting Report: If Weeks is drafted No. 1 overall, Southern would join Arizona State as the only schools to produce multiple No. 1 overall picks. Weeks would follow Danny Goodwin (1975, Angels), though the Devil Rays were undecided whether they would take Weeks or California high school OF Delmon Young; the odd-man out likely would go third to the Tigers. Weeks has the best tools and is the purest hitter in college baseball. His hands are so quick that he generates amazing bat speed and can turn around any inside fastball. With back-to-back .495 and .493 seasons, he's virtually assured of becoming only the second repeat batting champion in NCAA Division I history. His career .469 average is the best Division I mark ever. Though his quality of competition is suspect, scouts think Weeks will only have to develop a little more pitch recognition to mash as a pro. Besides hitting for average, Weeks also has plus power and speed. After scuffling at shortstop earlier in his career at Southern he has settled in at second base. He's still a little raw there, but he has more than enough arm strength and athleticism to play there in the majors.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:09 PM
With the 3rd pick, the Detroit Tigers select Kyle Sleeth.

My connection went down, can anyone pick this up?

maurice
06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for reminding me that the Sox (essentially) traded the 26th and 33rd overall picks for Jon freaking Adkins. My head hurts now.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Anyone else keep losing the connection, or is that just me?

Spiff
06-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
With the 3rd pick, the Detroit Tigers select Kyle Sleeth.

My connection went down, can anyone pick this up?

I think everyone's connection went down.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
I think everyone's connection went down.

MLB really, really sucks.

Spiff
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
4. Tim Stauffer, SD
5. Chris Lubanski, KC
6. Ryan Harvey, CHC
7. Nick Markakis, BAL

PaleHoseGeorge
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Thanks for reminding me that the Sox (essentially) traded the 26th and 33rd overall picks for Jon freaking Adkins. My head hurts now.

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing! But remember how much money the Sox saved on Durham's salary those last 8 weeks of the season. Who doubts every penny will be plowed right back into making the Sox champions just that much quicker!!!

:)

Vsahajpal
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Ryan Harvey!

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
4. Tim Stauffer, SD
5. Chris Lubanski, KC
6. Ryan Harvey, CHC
7. Nick Markakis, BAL

Thanks. Where are you getting this?

Spiff
06-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Thanks. Where are you getting this?

Just the little area in the top right of the mlb.com homepage.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Ryan Harvey!

Gonna regret letting Aubrey go...

Vsahajpal
06-03-2003, 01:20 PM
No chance, Harvey is the best prospect in the draft, IMO. Damn, what a steal.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Baseball Primer is running a draft day thread with constant updates.

Aaron Hill went to the Jays. Damn!

Vsahajpal
06-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Sox select OF Brian Anderson

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Sox select OF Brian Anderson

:)

Happy, happy, happy... he's no Maier, but he'll do.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
:)

Happy, happy, happy... he's no Maier, but he'll do.

Another OF'er. Just what the Sox need.

School: U. of Arizona. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Tucson.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 195. Birthdate: Mar. 11, 1982.
Previously Drafted: Never drafted.

Scouting Report: Anderson improved his draft worth as much as any player in the country. He was hardly on the radar at the start of the year after an injury-plagued 2002 season but now finds himself in the first round, possibly as high as the 15th pick. His numbers tell the whole story. A .275 hitter with five homers and six stolen bases in 2002, the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder jumped his average more than 100 points while tripling his home run and stolen base totals. He was the best everyday performer in the Pacific-10 Conference. Anderson worked closely with Wildcats coach Andy Lopez to revamp his swing and entire approach to hitting. The result has been better rhythm and better bat speed. All other parts of his game have come together as well. He's a solid center fielder with above average arm strength. Though he did not pitch this year after leading the Wildcats with four saves a year ago, his fastball was clocked as high as 94 mph. With his improved showing offensively this year, his performance has finally matched his considerable tools.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Another OF'er. Just what the Sox need.

Like I said, I would've wanted Maier or Hill. KW's probably hoping that either Powell or Morgan or Herrera is there in the second.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Notable picks:

Cleveland took Brad Snyder
Arizona took Conor Jackson

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Like I said, I would've wanted Maier or Hill. KW's probably hoping that either Powell or Morgan or Herrera is there in the second.

In my dream, I also saw the Sox select Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the second round, but he probably won't be there.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Here is a video on Anderson (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/tracker_lastName_A_1.html)

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:35 PM
By the way, is Brian Anderson really projected to be a center fielder? I can't get to BA's scouting reports because their site seems to be down.

Daver
06-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
By the way, is Brian Anderson really projected to be a center fielder? I can't get to BA's scouting reports because their site seems to be down.

Yes he is.

dasox24
06-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
In my dream, I also saw the Sox select Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the second round, but he probably won't be there.

I sure hope your dream is right Randar, Saltalamacchia could be a steal.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
By the way, is Brian Anderson really projected to be a center fielder? I can't get to BA's scouting reports because their site seems to be down.

I'm not sure, but the most important day of the year for BA and their site is down....not good.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
Yes he is.

Oh. Well, then... maybe I'm not really happy with this pick.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Radio coverage seems to be back up...

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Are the Sox not high on Jeremy Reed? This pick is telling me that Borchard will be roaming one of the corner outfielder spots in the future...

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:41 PM
There goes Maier.

Damn it!

Daver
06-03-2003, 01:42 PM
KC takes Mitch Maier at #30.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Oh. Well, then... maybe I'm not really happy with this pick.

5-tool CF'er. Not a long track record of success. This was a breakout year. He has a compact swing with good bat speed. MLB.com's report says he has light tower power, but he doesn't have Borchard-type power. He is a more polished hitter and will use all fields. However, he needs to quiet his hands and stop leaning back and forth as the pitcher starts his delivery.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Are the Sox not high on Jeremy Reed? This pick is telling me that Borchard will be roaming one of the corner outfielder spots in the future...

Reed is not a super-star in the making. He could be very effective though. We'll see.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
5-tool CF'er. Not a long track record of success. This was a breakout year. He has a compact swing with good bat speed. MLB.com's report says he has light tower power, but he doesn't have Borchard-type power. He is a more polished hitter and will use all fields. However, he needs to quiet his hands and stop leaning back and forth as the pitcher starts his delivery.

That is very obvious in the video I posted...

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That is very obvious in the video I posted...

yep. Professional pitchers will be able to easily throw his timing off.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Reed is not a super-star in the making. He could be very effective though. We'll see.

Cant argue with his numbers at Winston-Salem. 2 hits yesterday brings his average up to .346. He also has an outstandin K/BB ratio last time I checked...

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Radio coverage seems to be back up...


Radio down again. MLB is the worst at self-promoting out of any major sport. absolute crap.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Anyone know when the 2nd round starts?

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Anyone know when the 2nd round starts?

About 10 minutes.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 01:52 PM
By the way, why is Brandon Wood being called Richard Wood?

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Cant argue with his numbers at Winston-Salem. 2 hits yesterday brings his average up to .346. He also has an outstandin K/BB ratio last time I checked...

I agree. He has impressed so far. He needs to be moved up now.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Looks like Beane got his guys again. Snyder and Sullivan to the A's.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Can we please draft a middle infielder, preferably a SS? Please. The lack of SS talent in our minor leagues is truly pathetic.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
By the way, why is Brandon Wood being called Richard Wood?

I am very surprised Arizona didn't take him with their first pick. They went the College route.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
He pitches too...??? (http://arizonaathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/anderson_brian00.html)

We'll find a way to screw this up.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Can we please draft a middle infielder, preferably a SS? Please. The lack of SS talent in our minor leagues is truly pathetic.

It's too late now to get an impact SS. This was not a great or deep SS class.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He pitches too...??? (http://arizonaathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/anderson_brian00.html)

We'll find a way to screw this up.

Pitched last year. Recorded 4 saves and was clocked as high as 94. Did not pitch at all this season.

SoxxoS
06-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Great. What am I worrying about, anyway? JR will fork over the big cash for a FA SS this winter.

kermittheefrog
06-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Great. What am I worrying about, anyway? JR will fork over the big cash for a FA SS this winter.

Well it's not like just drafting a shortstop will make the guy a success. This isn't a particularly strong draft for shortstops and if you look at the Sox recent draft history they have tried to grab a shortstop of the future but it hasn't really worked out. Tim Hummel, Mike Morse and Andy Gonzalez are all shortstops the Sox have drafted lately. Morse and Gonzalez were HS tools picks. Hummel was a good hitter in college. Hummel has since moved to third base after struggling in AAA. Morse hasn't turned into anything. Gonzalez has had some sucess but right now he's struggling at Kannapolis. On the bright side the guy is walking. Might be a sign he'll start doing other things right at the plate.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well it's not like just drafting a shortstop will make the guy a success. This isn't a particularly strong draft for shortstops and if you look at the Sox recent draft history they have tried to grab a shortstop of the future but it hasn't really worked out. Tim Hummel, Mike Morse and Andy Gonzalez are all shortstops the Sox have drafted lately. Morse and Gonzalez were HS tools picks. Hummel was a good hitter in college. Hummel has since moved to third base after struggling in AAA. Morse hasn't turned into anything. Gonzalez has had some sucess but right now he's struggling at Kannapolis. On the bright side the guy is walking. Might be a sign he'll start doing other things right at the plate.

His K's are down (although, unfortunately, his E's are not) and his BB's are up. He is putting the ball in play a lot more this year already. I'm willing to waive his first-half performance if he can turn it around in the second half.

MarkEdward
06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
A's just took Omar Quintanilla. I'd say that's pretty surprising...

kermittheefrog
06-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
A's just took Omar Quintanilla. I'd say that's pretty surprising...

It really seems like the White Sox are adopting a draft strategy similar to Oaklands at least when it comes to college hitters.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Compensation round as follows:

31 Cleveland Adam Miller RHP McKinney HS (Tex.)
32 Boston Matt Murton LF Georgia Tech
33 Oakland Omar Quintanilla SS Texas
34 San Francisco Roger Whitaker RHP Lufkin HS (Tex.)
35 Atlanta Luis Atilano RHP Gabriela Mistral (P.R.)
36 Atlanta Jarrod Saltalamacchia C Royal Palm Beach HS (Fla.)
37 Seattle Adam Jones SS

balboner
06-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Screw you KW!!!!!!!!!!

Hangar18
06-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Kerm, Randar and everyone else, thanks for the Updates...
Im at work, but able to see whats going on here, Thanks Fellas

Viva Magglio
06-03-2003, 07:06 PM
I saw Brain Anderson play when I was in Tucson. The one University of Arizona game I attended in 2003 in which I kept score shows that Anderson went 1 for 2 with a triple against lowly Wagner. I would say that he was UA's best offensive player, usually batting cleanup in the order for Andy Lopez's Wildcats.

UA Press Release (http://arizonaathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060303aaa.html)