PDA

View Full Version : KW Skipping Draft, Made Unplanned Trip to Cleveland

Viva Magglio
06-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Kenny Williams will not be in the White Sox War Room Tuesday when the MLB Amateur Draft takes place, according to the Tribune. He changed plans, going to Cleveland. He made an unplanned trip to Cleveland. Hmmm.

Scroll down to "In the house," for those of you Tribune-registered. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030602insidesox,1,256712.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines)

Daver
06-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Without reading the article it tells me that he has already agreed with the decisions made by Bob Fontaine,Duane Schaffer,and Rick Hahn,it is not really news.

Hangar18
06-03-2003, 12:18 AM
only good thing I can think of is that HE wont have anything to do with the draft. Let Fontaine, Schaffer and Co run the show like they should be.

Randar68
06-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
only good thing I can think of is that HE wont have anything to do with the draft. Let Fontaine, Schaffer and Co run the show like they should be.

KW was at the top of the list of people running the show that got the Sox ranked #1 in baseball in 2000. He may not be everyone's favorite general manager, but he's a pretty good scout and personnel director.

Tragg
06-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Why isn't he going to be there? You can't script-out a draft. All sorts of goofy things happen.
You can't list players 1-1000 and just pick the person at the top of your list - you could end up with 35 outfielders, or pitchers or infielders.
This is the one thing that Kenny Williams appears to be able to do pretty well.

Daver
06-03-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Why isn't he going to be there? You can't script-out a draft. All sorts of goofy things happen.
You can't list players 1-1000 and just pick the person at the top of your list - you could end up with 35 outfielders, or pitchers or infielders.
This is the one thing that Kenny Williams appears to be able to do pretty well.

He hasn't personally overseen the draft for two years now,and there is such a thing as a Cell Phone.

Tragg
06-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by daver
He hasn't personally overseen the draft for two years now,and there is such a thing as a Cell Phone.

he's the general manager - this is his big day. I'm sure he's available for input but it seems odd that he isn't running the damn thing.

Daver
06-03-2003, 01:12 AM
he's the general manager - this is his big day. I'm sure he's available for input but it seems odd that he isn't running the damn thing.

No this is Rick Hahn's big day,Kenny has not made the mistake Shue made,which was to control the draft top to bottom,look back at some of the Schueler drafts.

Tragg
06-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by daver
No this is Rick Hahn's big day,Kenny has not made the mistake Shue made,which was to control the draft top to bottom,look back at some of the Schueler drafts.

Now I'm confused - I thought Kenny ran schu's drafts. Anyway, when did Kenny take over the drafting for Schu?

Daver
06-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Now I'm confused - I thought Kenny ran schu's drafts. Anyway, when did Kenny take over the drafting for Schu?

pudge
06-03-2003, 02:13 AM
If KW is missing something as big as the draft, does this mean something major is going down with the ML club? I sure as hell hope so.

NC_sox_fan
06-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Last year at this time, Kenny was in Winston-Salem. I spoke to him just before the game. He had cell phone and laptop working overtime and said he was busy "with the draft". He always acts so self-important, I never know when he's really doing something important or not.

In his mind, he is THE KING.

MHOUSE
06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Last year at this time, Kenny was in Winston-Salem. I spoke to him just before the game. He had cell phone and laptop working overtime and said he was busy "with the draft". He always acts so self-important, I never know when he's really doing something important or not.

In his mind, he is THE KING.

:KW
"This damn Solitaire game is a b****!"

34 Inch Stick
06-03-2003, 11:09 AM
If he is King when is the circle of life going to come down on him?

gosox41
06-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Kenny Williams will not be in the White Sox War Room Tuesday when the MLB Amateur Draft takes place, according to the Tribune. He changed plans, going to Cleveland. He made an unplanned trip to Cleveland. Hmmm.

Scroll down to "In the house," for those of you Tribune-registered. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030602insidesox,1,256712.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines)

Maybe KW feelsthat since he's already got Gwynn locked up to help destroy the minor league system he should go to Cleveland to finish off the big league team.

:KW
My cell phone battery died so now I have to go to Cleveland to undermine Jerry face to face.