PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Ripped Again

RKMeibalane
06-02-2003, 10:20 PM
This time it was Bobby Valentine. The ESPN Baseball Tonight crew was discussing the numerous problems the Sox are having, and Valentine basically tried to blame everything on Frank. He said, "When is Frank gonna' stand up and say, 'It's my fault?'"

There is a reason why Bobby Valentine was fired by the Mets. He's an idiot. I would say that to his face if I ever saw him, and I would have the most arrogant smirk I could come up with on my face.

This situation is a microcosm of a much large issue. I'm beginning to think that the media don't even bother to examine each aspect of the disaster that is the Chicago White Sox. They just assume that Frank is somehow responsible for everything negative that happens. Harold Reynolds brought up the incident in 2001, when Frank walked out of camp. Why can't people just let these things go? Other players have done much worse and not been ripped for it.

Daver
06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Frank is paying the price for his past comments,plain and simple.Is it fair? Probably not,but he made his own bed with the media,and now he has a choice,lie in it or prove them wrong.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
Frank is paying the price for his past comments,plain and simple.Is it fair? Probably not,but he made his own bed with the media,and now he has a choice,lie in it or prove them wrong.

What you say is true; however, one would think that the media would be more interested in actually reporting sports news, as opposed to settling personal vendettas with athletes. It is precisely this type of behavior that has caused so many athletes, including Frank, to dislike the media in the first place. Too many members of the media think it's acceptable to say whatever happens to be on their mind just because they can use a pen or a keyboard. As Bob Knight said, "We learn to write in the second grade, then most of us go on to better things."

Daver
06-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What you say is true; however, one would think that the media would be more interested in actually reporting sports news, as opposed to settling personal vendettas with athletes. It is precisely this type of behavior that has caused so many athletes, including Frank, to dislike the media in the first place. Too many members of the media think it's acceptable to say whatever happens to be on their mind just because they can use a pen or a keyboard. As Bob Knight said, "We learn to write in the second grade, then most of us go on to better things."

You are forgetting the fact that you have two networks committed to broadcasting nothing but sports,24/7,therefore they have to, in fact "make news".It is not new,but it is getting pushed to the limits nowadays,which is why you take what you see with a grain of salt,I would hope that the players have learned to do the same.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
You are forgetting the fact that you have two networks committed to broadcasting nothing but sports,24/7,therefore they have to, in fact "make news".It is not new,but it is getting pushed to the limits nowadays,which is why you take what you see with a grain of salt,I would hope that the players have learned to do the same.

I agree that ESPN faces difficult challenge when trying to find enough material for their regular programs. It's not easy reporting on nothing but baseball for a few hours every night. However, this does not mean that it's acceptable for someone to say something ridiculous, which is what Valentin was doing. Frank has not had as a good a season as many of us had hoped, but he is not the only reason why this team is struggling. Valentine needs to come up with something better than "It's Frank's fault" every time the Sox lose.

Valentine could just as easily have used that time to speculate on what he would do to improve the club, since he was a manager as recently as last year. I find that type of analysis much more interesting. I would much rather listen to insightful, intelligent discussions, as opposed to the ravings and ramblings of a misguided fool.

Daver
06-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Valentine could just as easily have used that time to speculate on what he would do to improve the club, since he was a manager as recently as last year. I find that type of analysis much more interesting. I would much rather listen to insightful, intelligent discussions, as opposed to the ravings and ramblings of a misguided fool.

And now you know why Bobby V. is working for ESPN and not for an MLB team.

:)

Saracen
06-02-2003, 11:18 PM
I always harken back to the early 90's Texas Rangers:

A starting rotation including Kevin Brown, Nolan Ryan, Kenny Rogers, Floyd Bannister & Charlie Hough. Bullpen with Jamie Moyer.

Lineup featuring Rafael Palmeiro, Julio Franco & Juan Gonzalez.

And sucking every single year.

Bobby V. is a prima donna only concerned with his own image. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

pearso66
06-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Bobby V. looked to have a pretty solid team last year in New York, but we all saw how far they went.

As for blaming Frank for it all, that is rediculous. He hasn't been that bad. He isn't as good as the Frank we all grew to love in the 90's, but he is producing more than 3/4 of the team. So to say its frank, he must have some vendetta against him.

fquaye149
06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
so much for bobby as a coaching candidate

doublem23
06-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
so much for bobby as a coaching candidate

That's fine... The last thing this organization needed was another ego the size of a small planet.