PDA

View Full Version : Score Caller Regarding Sunday's Game

TornLabrum
06-02-2003, 08:29 PM
A caller brought up a very cogent point about Jerry Manuel's mismanagement Sunday that had nothing to do with leaving Gordon in (which for some reason some have given him slack on). Okay Manuel defenders, try this:

Crede due up, runner on second, no outs. Manuel pinch hits Rios to sacrifice. He fails, run doesn't score. Graffanino goes in at third for Crede.

Yup, Manuel burned three players for a lousy bunt !

:angry: :angry: :angry:

gosox41
06-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
A caller brought up a very cogent point about Jerry Manuel's mismanagement Sunday that had nothing to do with leaving Gordon in (which for some reason some have given him slack on). Okay Manuel defenders, try this:

Crede due up, runner on second, no outs. Manuel pinch hits Rios to sacrifice. He fails, run doesn't score. Graffanino goes in at third for Crede.

:jerry
There's nothing I like more then a chance to do some tinkering.

WinningUgly!
06-02-2003, 10:23 PM

If Rios did his job & got the man over to help the Sox win, Manuel wouldn't have been given any credit for it, either. Since 2000, he's only been given blame, never credit. Jerry Manuel is not the type of manager that can win with this current team. Such a manager probably doesn't exist. Jerry Manuel is a small-ball type manager, with a team full of players unable to bunt, run or play defense. I actually kinda feel bad for the guy. He could end up having his managerial abilities judged by the lousy hands he's been dealt by KW & JR the last few years & never get another shot at a job.

voodoochile
06-02-2003, 10:31 PM
It cost the Sox in the 10th too when Graff couldn't make a play that Crede would have made and the out ended up being damned important.

Besides, anyone else see Crede try to bunt for a hit today? Bringing in a pinch bunter is pretty damn stupid, but doing it for a guy who can already bunt is just plain idiotic...

TornLabrum
06-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It cost the Sox in the 10th too when Graff couldn't make a play that Crede would have made and the out ended up being damned important.

Besides, anyone else see Crede try to bunt for a hit today? Bringing in a pinch bunter is pretty damn stupid, but doing it for a guy who can already bunt is just plain idiotic...

And to use up three players in the process is imbecilic, nay moronic!

RKMeibalane
06-02-2003, 10:49 PM
The sad part is that Reinsdorf is going to blame all of this on us. He thinks we don't care. If JR spent any time on this site, he would see the passion we have for White Sox baseball. He would know that we give a ****. I am sick and tired of the excuse-making and whining I hear from Sox management every year. It's old.

Jerry Manuel is not capable of managing this team. Wally Backman needs to be brought in as his replacement. The Sox need someone who will light a fire under them. More importantly, they need somone who can actually teach them how to play baseball. Manuel has been unable to do this, and he's had six years to get it right. 2000 was a fluke. How that happened, we'll never know, because this team absolutely sucks.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the hell out, and take "tinker boy" with you.

mack10zie
06-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If Rios did his job & got the man over to help the Sox win, Manuel wouldn't have been given any credit for it, either. Since 2000, he's only been given blame, never credit. Jerry Manuel is not the type of manager that can win with this current team. Such a manager probably doesn't exist. Jerry Manuel is a small-ball type manager, with a team full of players unable to bunt, run or play defense. I actually kinda feel bad for the guy. He could end up having his managerial abilities judged by the lousy hands he's been dealt by KW & JR the last few years & never get another shot at a job.

Ok, I'm gonna agree with you on a few points here. 1) Rios SHOULD have been able to get a bunt down, which would have made things much easier, and 2) Jerry probably wouldn't have gotten any credit had Rios gotten the job done. That being said, I must question whether Rios really had that much of a better chance of laying down a bunt than Crede or Graffy, who he immediately replaced Rios with, it just doesn't seem to make sense to use three players in one move, especially when the player used is not noted as a spectacular bunter. Secondly, I don't care what 'kind' of manager JM is, small-ball or what, a manager's job is to manage the team he has been given, if that team can't play small-ball very well, you simply don't force them to, as it reduces the chances of success. Part of the success of a manager is knowing his team and using his players properly, which JM did not due in this situation, and has failed to do in a number of other situations. Lastly, Jerry is the coach, so if he is hellbent on playing small-ball, then IT IS HIS JOB to make his team practice this style and get good at it. If his players are not fundamentally sound, then he must put in the effort to change that. Easier said than done I'm sure, but at this level that is what it takes, and IMO if you can't get things like this done then maybe you aren't cut out for the job...

Jerko
06-03-2003, 12:20 AM

Just wait until the first time he tries a "double switch" in the NL parks. We'll need a 50 man roster just to avoid Colon winding up in center field for an inning or 2 with this moron in charge.

34 Inch Stick
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Mack I am with you. If he wants to play small ball but has a big ball team, I can cut him some slack in the first year of coaching. You play with what you were given. After that it is Jerry's job to stress bunting, baserunning and fielding in spring training.

Jerry has failed us in each of the last three years BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTED. The last weeks of the year he acknowledges deficiencies. The next year we do the same things. He must go.

By the way I have no doubt that he will succeed somewhere else. It is just not working here.

gosox41
06-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Manuel only getting the blame and not the credit for situations like Sunday probably has something to do with the fact that the team has not played well since the first half of 2000.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. JM's managerial decisions are consistently inconsistent and certainly has not helped the team win.

Bob