PDA

View Full Version : How long can this go on?

hold2dibber
06-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Another loss to a terrible team today - swept by the Indians, the Sox scored a whopping 9 runs in the three game set against one of the worst teams in the league. All the while, JM and KW sit on their hands, confident that this team will magically turn it around and become a good team. Although I also fully expect that to happen, it will not happen until August when the Sox are 14 games out of first without any hope of catching up. Lucky for the Sox the Twins haven't run away with this thing yet. But they're going to do so soon. To simply sit by idly while it happens is inexcusable. This team needs to shake things up NOW - be it a trade, firing Manuel, sitting PK in favor of Daubach indefinitely, it is time to take action.

Konerko has been horrific - probably the worst regular in the majors this year. Valentin has been terrible. Crede has been an abomination. Thomas, Ordonez and Lee have all been mediocre at best. Jimenez is the only guy in the line-up that has been anywhere near what I expected - and he drives me nuts with sloppy defense and baserunning and a lack of timely hitting. The offense needs a jump start immediately.

Procol Harum
06-02-2003, 01:59 PM
In answer to your question, I paraphrase the answer Marlon Brando gave in "The Wild Ones:"

"How long ya got?"

A.T. Money
06-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Truly is getting depressing. It sucks to come to this board and read the same depressing things. I love this team to death, but I can't stand them right now. I bought season tickets to get All-Star tix, and because I felt this team had a legitimate shot to win the division and go into the playoffs. Now, I'm not even looking forward to the All-Star game, and I spent like $2000, not to mention food, beer, peanuts and other BS that I can be spending my hard earned dollars on.

THAT is depressing my friend. The White Sox don't need my money. As a matter of fact, they don't need any of our money. These guys make more in one season than I will probably make in my lifetime.

:selljerry

Paulwny
06-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Has JR become another Howard Hughes, shutting himself off from the real world and letting his flunkies run the show?

FarmerAndy
06-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Konerko and Valentin should be taken out back and shot.

Hangar18
06-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Just when I think this cant keep going on.......On and On it goes.
There is such an air of negativity around this team....

FarmerAndy
06-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Just when I think this cant keep going on.......On and On it goes.
There is such an air of negativity around this team....

It's getting pretty depressing.

See you in L.A.

Tragg
06-02-2003, 02:26 PM
There was a bright spot to today's action.

Rick White almost pitched a scoreless inning and lowered that ERA to 9 flat.

ON the other hand, Gary Glover is filling White's spot as chief arsonist quite nicely.

Foulke You
06-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
There was a bright spot to today's action.

Rick White almost pitched a scoreless inning and lowered that ERA to 9 flat.

ON the other hand, Gary Glover is filling White's spot as chief arsonist quite nicely.

Yep, Glover is quietly having himself a pretty terrible year. Rick White still gets the honorary "Gas Can" award of '03 this year. When White comes in, you know it is over.

pudge
06-02-2003, 03:08 PM
I disagree that KW and JM really think this team will magically turn it around. They both have to realize by now that this season is long over, and that this team needs to be exploded and re-built (yet again, lucky us!). Ship Colon, ship Loaiza, ship Valentin, ship Konerko if you can. Bring in the next wave of kids. Yippee!

hold2dibber
06-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I disagree that KW and JM really think this team will magically turn it around. They both have to realize by now that this season is long over, and that this team needs to be exploded and re-built (yet again, lucky us!). Ship Colon, ship Loaiza, ship Valentin, ship Konerko if you can. Bring in the next wave of kids. Yippee!

Why do you think that? EVERY single quote I have seen from both JM and KW over the last few weeks is of the "we're about to turn the corner, no need to panic, everything will come together" variety -- no indication whatsoever that either of them thinks the season is long over.

pudge
06-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why do you think that? EVERY single quote I have seen from both JM and KW over the last few weeks is of the "we're about to turn the corner, no need to panic, everything will come together" variety -- no indication whatsoever that either of them thinks the season is long over.

Yep, that's what they say to the media. If you take that for face value, I have a few issues of the New York Times I'd like to sell ya!

:)

hold2dibber
06-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Yep, that's what they say to the media. If you take that for face value, I have a few issues of the New York Times I'd like to sell ya!

:)

I disagree; if KW thought the season was slipping away, he'd fire Manuel. He's in the last year of his contract anyway and the team surely wants to capitalize on the All Star game being there by generating as much good will as possible. Just doesn't make sense that he would stand pat until it is too late - my conclusion is that he still thinks they'll turn it around.

Mammoo
06-02-2003, 03:22 PM
This season as been an abysmal downer :(: since the first series in Kansas City. I am amazed that White Sox management can sit idly by and watch this go on game after game.

pudge
06-02-2003, 03:24 PM
I disagree; if KW thought the season was slipping away, he'd fire Manuel. He's in the last year of his contract anyway and the team surely wants to capitalize on the All Star game being there by generating as much good will as possible. Just doesn't make sense that he would stand pat until it is too late - my conclusion is that he still thinks they'll turn it around.

I agree that he's been waiting it out, but he really can't start making moves until the second half anyway. I assure you that as of today, KW realizes his season is a disaster, from Colon down to White, nothing has worked as planned this year. As for Manuel, I think there's some money issues involved there, and just plain stubborness. I think they were *hoping* the team would turn it around before the All-Star Game to create some good feelings. But it's pretty clear the team is awful. Everyone knows by now. He won't admit it publicly until he starts to deal players later this summer.

Daver
06-02-2003, 03:28 PM
I disagree; if KW thought the season was slipping away, he'd fire Manuel. He's in the last year of his contract anyway

JM is under contract through 2004.

ssang
06-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Let's just be honest with ourselves. We are all masochists and our favorite baseball team, the Chicago White Sox, are the most pathetic organization in all of baseball. I've never seen a combination of such and inept owner, general manager, field manager, and players rolled into one HORRIFIC organization!

alohafri
06-03-2003, 03:01 PM
(from Mrs. Aloha)

What's the most depressing thing to me is that this season has reduced me (and some other Sox fans) to resort to rooting for the scrubs to lose. The only thing that can bring me out of this depression (assuming that the Sox continue their freefall) is for the scrubs to crash and burn....soon.

Thunderstruck30
06-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Not to sound pessimistic or anything, but I somewhat expected a slight disappointment this year. But I never imagined they would suck this bad. I thought they would be one of the best hitting clubs in the league. Ordonez, Jiminez, and occasionally Lee have been the only ones to hit consistently this year. However our rotation really isnt that bad at all. Loaiza dominates, Colon can get deep into the game and still throw hard, and Garland seems to be improving. If the Sox started giving more run support to Buehrle, he could turn it around and start getting wins. Remember in 94 when McDowall started I think it was 1-9 before having 9 straight wins and finishing 10-9. That could happen to Buehrle. Also of course Ill mention, like everyone else has, that Manuel needs to get fired.