PDA

View Full Version : For those still hoping

KempersRS
08-20-2001, 03:18 PM
Well, I see there are some people still hoping we can make it the playoffs, but the chances are so slim. I undertand your thinking of why we can get in, looking at the schedule. But whats the point? OK, lets assume they somehow get in, The Tribe folds big time and we sneak in. We have already proven we can't play with the big dogs. That fact doesn't come from this last weekend alone, it comes from a whole season. We failed over and over against the big teams, if we made it to the playoffs, we'd be 3 and out before you could blink. I don't see a chance at the playoffs, but if they did, how do you think they could compete with the Yanks, A's, M's?

voodoochile
08-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Well, I see there are some people still hoping we can make it the playoffs, but the chances are so slim. I undertand your thinking of why we can get in, looking at the schedule. But whats the point? OK, lets assume they somehow get in, The Tribe folds big time and we sneak in. We have already proven we can't play with the big dogs. That fact doesn't come from this last weekend alone, it comes from a whole season. We failed over and over against the big teams, if we made it to the playoffs, we'd be 3 and out before you could blink. I don't see a chance at the playoffs, but if they did, how do you think they could compete with the Yanks, A's, M's?

Ah, but the making it would be enough of a victory this year, don't you see? With all the troubles and the injuries and Cleveland being healthy this year, it would definitely be sweet just to make the playoffs. You are right, the odds on it happening are slim. The only way the Sox really stand a chance is to win at least 8 of the next 10 games while the Tribe goes in the tank simultaneously. Yeah, we'd get spanked in the playoffs, probably, but just getting there would do wonders for the mental outlook of the team next year when Frank Thomas, 4 veteran relievers and Parque all return and the young starters from this year have a year under their belt including a pennant race.

Never underestimate the value of experience and learning to battle through adversity for a young team trying to get to the next level. Every step is part of the process and this would be huge step in the right direction, way more important than the higher draft pick would be. We might get spanked in the playoffs, but wouldn't it be sweet to rub some tribe fan noses in their choke and the Sox stunning rise to the division crown for the second year in a row?

Like I said, it is improbable, but not impossible and a guy can still dream of a day coming sooner rather than later when the Tribe is finally dead and buried...

Randar68
08-20-2001, 03:41 PM
I don't see a chance at the playoffs, but if they did, how do you think they could compete with the Yanks, A's, M's?

Mark Buehrle pitching at least twice in a 5-game series....who knows, anything's possible in a 5 game series, it's so short....

Randar68
08-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Like I said, it is improbable, but not impossible and a guy can still dream of a day coming sooner rather than later when the Tribe is finally dead and buried...

Adding that to the beauty of the Cubs' collapse would simply be super icing on the cake!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Adding that to the beauty of the Cubs' collapse would simply be super icing on the cake!!!!

:moron
That's not delicious Randar.

voodoochile
08-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Not ,much of a cake this year, so we can use all the icing we can get...

Kilroy
08-20-2001, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I don't see a chance at the playoffs, but if they did, how do you think they could compete with the Yanks, A's, M's?

How's that old quote go? Once you get there, anything can happen.

How many times have we seen it?

Nuggets over Sonics in first round that one year.

Wild Card Broncos beat Chiefs and Steelers on the road before beating heavily favored Green Bay in the Superbowl.

Marlins beat Tribe for series title.

Every year in the NCAA tourney...

All you have to do is get there and then anything can happen.

Iwritecode
08-20-2001, 04:27 PM
I want to see them win the division and make the playoffs for a few reasons.

1. Keep the Tribe out.
2. Keep the Twins out.
3. Make some history. All those stats about how no team has ever been down (insert #) games at (insert date) and won the division. I heard that many times earlier in the season. Never has a team faced it's division opponent 19 times in one season either...
4. When was the last time the Sox had back-to-back post season apperances?
5. #3 would also work the opposite way if the Cubs don't make it.

cheeses_h_rice
08-20-2001, 04:29 PM
To answer #4, I don't believe the Sox have ever made back-to-back postseason appearances.

Going backward, it's been 2000, 1993, 1983, 1959, 1919, 1917...and then I forget.

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2001, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
4. When was the last time the Sox had back-to-back post season apperances?

I don't think the Sox have made the playoffs 2 years in a row. I remember hearing that from Les Grobstein. So if it's wrong don't blame me.

voodoochile
08-20-2001, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
To answer #4, I don't believe the Sox have ever made back-to-back postseason appearances.

Going backward, it's been 2000, 1993, 1983, 1959, 1919, 1917...and then I forget.

How can you forget 1906? Quite possibly the greatest Sox team ever? They beat the flubbies (116 wins) in the series... I think Seattle is going to suffer the same fate in the playoffs this year at the hands of Oakland or NY...

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think Seattle is going to suffer the same fate in the playoffs this year at the hands of Oakland or NY...

or....the Sox!
:)

voodoochile
08-20-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

or....the Sox!
:)

Yeah!!! What he said...