PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Bakker


dasox24
06-02-2003, 01:46 AM
What happened this year to Kyle Bakker from Georgia Tech? He was supposed to be a high-mid first round pick in this years draft, but he had an average year, and now I havent even seen him mentioned as a top 3 round pick. Does anyone know if he was hurt or did he just struggle really badly this year?

Daver
06-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by dasox24
What happened this year to Kyle Bakker from Georgia Tech? He was supposed to be a high-mid first round pick in this years draft, but he had an average year, and now I havent even seen him mentioned as a top 3 round pick. Does anyone know if he was hurt or did he just struggle really badly this year?

Here you go.

Kyle Bakker, lhp

School: Georgia Tech. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Omaha.
B-T: L-L. Ht.:: 6-9. Wt.: 255. Birthdate:: Oct. 21, 1981.
Previously Drafted: Phillies '00 (37).
Scouting Report: Bakker outpitched Wake Forest's Kyle Sleeth for a 2-0 victory in mid-April, but that's been the highlight of his disappointing season. Though he's 6-foot-9 and 255 pounds, he never has thrown exceptionally hard but went a combined 17-3 in his first two years at Georgia Tech thanks to his command, deception and makeup. He pitched well for Team USA last summer, posting the best strikeout-walk ratio (40-4) in a rotation that also included Wake Forest's Kyle Sleeth and Houston's Brad Sullivan, and positioned himself as a possible first-round pick for 2003. But he got draftitis and tried to pitch to the radar guns, and lost his mechanics and control. Though he touched 90-92 mph at times, he's a better pitcher at 84-87. His arm isn't quick and he lacks an out pitch, so he must be precise with his location.

doublem23
06-02-2003, 02:12 AM
Kind of sounds a little like Jon Garland or Dan Wright.

Chisoxfn
06-02-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Kind of sounds a little like Jon Garland or Dan Wright.

Except the two of them can throw real hard. Sounds like he's a winner, but with the lack of a fastball, I'd guess that he'll slide quite a bit.

dasox24
06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Daver, thanks for the report. Personally, I'd like to see us pick up Bakker in the 5th or 6th round and hopefully he'll regain his control and mechanics, and pitch how he used to.

Daver
06-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by dasox24
Daver, thanks for the report. Personally, I'd like to see us pick up Bakker in the 5th or 6th round and hopefully he'll regain his control and mechanics, and pitch how he used to.

The Sox do have a history of drafting soft tossing lefties,though usually on the second day,I can see him becoming a good LH control pitcher,but it would be a bit of a project pick because he has no out pitch per se.