PDA

View Full Version : What If...

RKMeibalane
06-01-2003, 11:23 PM
...Jerry Reinsdorf finally decides to sell the Chicago White Sox, but he is unable to find anyone interested in purchasing the franchise? Is it possible that this organization is so screwed up that no one would want it if the team were for sale? :o:

Daver
06-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...Jerry Reinsdorf finally decides to sell the Chicago White Sox, but he is unable to find anyone interested in purchasing the franchise? Is it possible that this organization is so screwed up that no one would want it if the team were for sale? :o:

No way that happens,an MLB franchise in the third largest market in the US is guaranteed money,with a twenty percent return on investment in as little as five years.

voodoochile
06-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by daver
No way that happens,an MLB franchise in the third largest market in the US is guaranteed money,with a twenty percent return on investment in as little as five years.

I agree, but it may come down to can JR and his fellow investors get their asking price. I think Disney had to seriously lower their demands to actually sell the angels and the way MLB owners have been crying poor for the last several years can't help franchise values. In addition the shrinking fan base that JR has created with his lousy decisions and assinine comments can't be helping the franchise value. It will still be far up from where they purchased it (duh), but if it is still going up, I will be shocked and at the rate they are wrecking things, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the value peaked after the 2000 season and has been steadily declining since...

Daver
06-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I agree, but it may come down to can JR and his fellow investors get their asking price. I think Disney had to seriously lower their demands to actually sell the angels and the way MLB owners have been crying poor for the last several years can't help franchise values. In addition the shrinking fan base that JR has created with his lousy decisions and assinine comments can't be helping the franchise value. It will still be far up from where they purchased it (duh), but if it is still going up, I will be shocked and at the rate they are wrecking things, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the value peaked after the 2000 season and has been steadily declining since...

The value is not based on the team,or on it's history,but on it's market.Michael Enberg learned this lesson when he overpriced the Angels in a market that is not a large baseball market,or a large TV market.Chicago is a huge baseball market,in an area that has a large baseball interest,as well as the TV market,the Sox are worth a lot more than you think.

LuvSox
06-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Maybe they will put the team up for sale after the All-Star break. JR can show fan support by citing the number of season ticket holders there are. If he can sell the team before the end of the season he can dupe a buyer because some ticket holders won't renew as they just wanted All Star tix.

I'm hanging my hopes on this theory. I'm gonna start drinking early today :D: :gulp:

gosox41
06-02-2003, 10:16 AM

This team would be an excellent investment opportunity (for a realistic price.) What JR sees as empty blue seats a good owner with good managmeent sees as huge potential to make money if the team is marekted right and invests wisely in its product.

The potential for gain is huge. There would probably be a jump in attendence the day JR is no longer owner.

Bob

Dan H
06-02-2003, 01:48 PM

This is a train of thought that there are no local businessman interested in taking on the franchise, and if Reinsdorf sells, that means moving the team. I really don't think the American League would leave this market to the Cubs, but it might be true no one is interested in the Sox. It also may be true that Reinsdorf has no actual interest in selling.

During the '60's and '70's there were no prospective buyers but then the team had an old ballpark that was costly to maintain with no backers for a new park. What really is a shame is that this team continues to flounder, leaving us passionate fans totally discouraged. I at least wish there would be some sense of urgency. There certainly doesn't appear to be any.

A.T. Money
06-02-2003, 01:55 PM
ReinsDORK isn't going anywhere. And if he did sell, someone would buy it in a heartbeat.