PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Sox should go after Matt Williams?

hsnterprize
06-01-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm just asking this because the official AP report says Williams had been sent "to assignment", and after Arizona signed Sean Hillebrand in a trade with Boston, I figured...why not ask? Besides, Matt could possibly be a help to us with the bats and some defense. I know he's beeb hurt a lot, but I wondered if many of you think he's worth a look-over.

Brian26
06-01-2003, 03:11 PM
No.

Moot point anyway since he doesnt want to play anywhere else. He turned down an offer to Colorado, which is closer to home and much more hitter-friendly.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-01-2003, 03:16 PM
I would also say no. Williams is a HUGE injury risk. We already have one of those (Alomar) on the roster. We don't need another.

MHOUSE
06-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Williams is a big injury risk and plus he's in his 30s. We have a young and talented Joe Crede to play third. Why give away a prospect for Williams when he won't really help our situation?

ShoelessFred
06-01-2003, 04:27 PM
IS GARY GAETTI AVAILABLE?

hsnterprize
06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Here's something else to ponder...if Mike Lowell is such a hot commodity as the Cubs and Dodgers are saying, then why aren't the Sox looking at him? It's not like we can't use a 3rd baseman anyway?

MHOUSE
06-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Here's something else to ponder...if Mike Lowell is such a hot commodity as the Cubs and Dodgers are saying, then why aren't the Sox looking at him? It's not like we can't use a 3rd baseman anyway?

I'm not giving up on Crede, but maybe Lowell's presence on this team might spark a little motivation to play better. If only there was a way to spark up the bullpen.

What are you willing to give up to get Lowell? Second, do you expect him to put our team "over the top "? Thirdly, is JR going to shell out the money to pay him? He'd be worth the money, but when we're looking to dump payroll, why add more?

LuvSox
06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
No. Let me re-phrase that. HELL NO. Williams would be pointless here. Unless of course we trade White for him :D:

TornLabrum
06-01-2003, 06:05 PM
They might as well go after Ted Williams' frozen corpse.

TornLabrum
06-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Bruce Levine just reported (with tape of Dusty Baker) that the Cubs will very likely be going after Matt Williams.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Bruce Levine just reported (with tape of Dusty Baker) that the Cubs will very likely be going after Matt Williams.

HA HA HA HA!!! That's great. Put that tool on the northside and let him use up a roster spot.

MHOUSE
06-01-2003, 06:33 PM
I liked him with the D-Backs when they won the WS. Always seemed like a classy guy. The injuries are a bother though.

Procol Harum
06-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Williams would make a great back-up and spot starter for a WS contender. For us, he'd be another slow, mediocre hitting dp machine...

gosox41
06-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I'm just asking this because the official AP report says Williams had been sent "to assignment", and after Arizona signed Sean Hillebrand in a trade with Boston, I figured...why not ask? Besides, Matt could possibly be a help to us with the bats and some defense. I know he's beeb hurt a lot, but I wondered if many of you think he's worth a look-over.

This would be a dumb thing. Let Crede play because he's young. All Matt Williams will do is hinder his development for not much more (if any) offense.

Bob

duke of dorwood
06-01-2003, 08:53 PM
No thanks-

MHOUSE
06-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Sounds like the Cubs are really into signing him. Certainly a lot cheaper and easier than getting Lowell, but not as good for the long term. They'd have to feel that this was it and he could help them to a WS which I don't think is that realistic of a possibility. If I were the Cubs I would definately go after Lowell instead of Williams.

Either way the media will tout the brilliant signing of veteran third baseman Matt Williams or the crafty steal of a bright talent in Lowell from FLA.

BTW, I am damn sick of hearing about the 65 years in the making of the Cubs-Yanks series.