PDA

View Full Version : Sox Cut Deal With 1st Round Pick?

joecrede
06-01-2003, 01:08 PM
According to Baseball America, rumors abound that the Sox have cut a deal with University of Texas SS Omar Quintanilla to take him with the 15th pick. Quintanilla, who'll play second base in the pros, was thought to go somewhere between the third and fifth rounds, projects as a Fernando Vina type player.

BA thinks though that this rumor seems unlikely and is part of the gamesmanship in the final few days leading up to the draft.

I wouldn't put anything past this outfit however.

gosox41
06-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
According to Baseball America, rumors abound that the Sox have cut a deal with University of Texas SS Omar Quintanilla to take him with the 15th pick. Quintanilla, who'll play second base in the pros, was thought to go somewhere between the third and fifth rounds, projects as a Fernando Vina type player.

BA thinks though that this rumor seems unlikely and is part of the gamesmanship in the final few days leading up to the draft.

I wouldn't put anything past this outfit however.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Pretty soon JR will erode the farm system with his cheapness.

Bob

Daver
06-01-2003, 07:46 PM
I don't beleive this one as far as I can drop kick an elephant.Here's why.

Omar Quintanilla, ss

School: U. of Texas. Class: Jr.
Hometown: El Paso, Texas.
B-T: L-R. Ht.: 5-9. Wt.: 185. Birthdate:
Previously Drafted: Never drafted.

Scouting Report: Quintanilla doesn’t do anything spectacularly, but he's a solid all-around player with exceptional hand-eye coordination. His strong suit is his ability to hit for average and being lefthanded only helps his cause. He makes contact, draws walks and provides the occasional stolen base and extra-base hit. While Quintanilla has played mostly shortstop and third base at Texas, his size (5-foot-9 and 185 pounds) and range will fit better at second base as a pro. Then again, he's bigger and has more arm strength than David Eckstein. At worst, Quintanilla should be a super utility player, and he's generating third- to fifth-round interest.

cornball
06-01-2003, 10:53 PM
It can't be true, there will be several very good prospects available at the time of the Sox selection. I think they will go with a college pitcher, personally.

Tavarin
06-02-2003, 12:46 AM
I personally hope that Lastings Milledge drops far enough for the Sox to pick him up. He should be a good leadoff hitter/CF for the future

Daver
06-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Tavarin
I personally hope that Lastings Milledge drops far enough for the Sox to pick him up. He should be a good leadoff hitter/CF for the future

Are you saying you have no faith in Anthony Webster? And if so why?

doublem23
06-02-2003, 01:25 AM
Any chance the Sox might finally land a catcher and... *GASP*... sign him?

dasox24
06-02-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Any chance the Sox might finally land a catcher and... *GASP*... sign him?

Actually, I could realistically see the Sox draft maybe Tony Richie, Landon Powell, or Jarrod Saltalamacchia(probably not since he's coming out of HS and we might not be able to sign him) in the 3rd round if one of them is still there, which is very likely.

Dadawg_77
06-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by daver
I don't beleive this one as far as I can drop kick an elephant.Here's why.

Omar Quintanilla, ss

School: U. of Texas. Class: Jr.
Hometown: El Paso, Texas.
B-T: L-R. Ht.: 5-9. Wt.: 185. Birthdate:
Previously Drafted: Never drafted.

Scouting Report: Quintanilla doesn’t do anything spectacularly, but he's a solid all-around player with exceptional hand-eye coordination. His strong suit is his ability to hit for average and being lefthanded only helps his cause. He makes contact, draws walks and provides the occasional stolen base and extra-base hit. While Quintanilla has played mostly shortstop and third base at Texas, his size (5-foot-9 and 185 pounds) and range will fit better at second base as a pro. Then again, he's bigger and has more arm strength than David Eckstein. At worst, Quintanilla should be a super utility player, and he's generating third- to fifth-round interest.

Sounds like a Billy Beane pick.

kermittheefrog
06-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Sounds like a Billy Beane pick.

He doesn't seem to have quite the plate discipline of a Beane pick but he sounds more like a Beane pick than a Kenny pick. I like the idea of picking Mitch Maier or Vince Sinisi more than this guy. Brian Anderson would be an OK pick. Pretty much any college guy high on the board would be solid except for Anthony Gwynn. Gwynn doesn't have the right tools.

Procol Harum
06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Perhaps the true "money" quote on the Sox approach to this year's draft was given by some Baseball America dude who guested on Boers & Bernstein this afternoon--something to the effect of "Speculation is that the Sox will try to draft someone they can sign for under the going price for their slot in the draft." Hmmmm, why is that not a surprise?

:reinsy
"We can't afford a legitimate 15th pick in the 15th slot because our fans won't come out and see our quality team. So, we'll have to try something new for us--playing it on the cheap. Gee, wonder if it'll work?"

jeremyb1
06-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Perhaps the true "money" quote on the Sox approach to this year's draft was given by some Baseball America dude who guested on Boers & Bernstein this afternoon--something to the effect of "Speculation is that the Sox will try to draft someone they can sign for under the going price for their slot in the draft." Hmmmm, why is that not a surprise?

:reinsy
"We can't afford a legitimate 15th pick in the 15th slot because our fans won't come out and see our quality team. So, we'll have to try something new for us--playing it on the cheap. Gee, wonder if it'll work?"

ridiculous. we're talking about a team with a 60 million dollar payroll and we can't pop an extra couple hundered thousand to land a top player. terrible.

Randar68
06-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
ridiculous. we're talking about a team with a 60 million dollar payroll and we can't pop an extra couple hundered thousand to land a top player. terrible.

Why are people already crying about something that hasn't happenned?

Sheeesh. It may be a signability pick, but I doubt they will go after someone fromt he 5th round. We're not going to be talking Jeremy Brown here.

Brian Anderson might be considered a signability pick, but it wouldn't be a terrible pick IMO. The Sox need to stay away from HS righties for once.

Mammoo
06-02-2003, 03:39 PM
How excited can you get about a White Sox draft pick when so many "can't misses" have missed lately.

At this point, just get someone that can pick up the ****ing ball and throw it to the correct base! :angry:

Randar68
06-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
How excited can you get about a White Sox draft pick when so many "can't misses" have missed lately.

At this point, just get someone that can pick up the ****ing ball and throw it to the correct base! :angry:

I would be content with any of Maier, Hill, Wood or Anderson in terms of positional prospects. There are 5 or 6 good Pitching prospects who will be available this year, but Hill would go a long way to trying to fill the SS gap we have.

I think the Sox are going with less risk picks with their early picks as compared to the past. They will be somewhat frugal, but they are trying to get the best bang for buck. I think you saw that last year with Ring and Reed. Both are playing extremely well, while neither will ever be a superstar, but they will be contributors in the near future, not waiting 5 years down the road for any return.

jeremyb1
06-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Why are people already crying about something that hasn't happenned?

Sheeesh. It may be a signability pick, but I doubt they will go after someone fromt he 5th round. We're not going to be talking Jeremy Brown here.

Brian Anderson might be considered a signability pick, but it wouldn't be a terrible pick IMO. The Sox need to stay away from HS righties for once.

true. it hasn't happened yet but ever since we signed borchard we've been putting a huge emphasis on signability. i understand we have limited money and i'm not asking us to sign a boras client but if its a matter of only a few hundered thousand dollars naturally i want us to take the player our organization feels is the best available player when we draft.

MarkEdward
06-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would be content with any of Maier, Hill, Wood or Anderson in terms of positional prospects. There are 5 or 6 good Pitching prospects who will be available this year, but Hill would go a long way to trying to fill the SS gap we have.

Isn't Aaron Hill projected to be a third baseman?

Daver
06-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Isn't Aaron Hill projected to be a third baseman?

Here you go.

Aaron Hill, ss

School: Louisiana State U. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Visalia, Calif.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: Mar. 21, 1982.
Previously Drafted: Angels '00 (7).

Scouting Report: In a draft thin on shortstops, Hill is one of the few with legitimate offensive potential. There are questions as to whether he can handle that position all the way up to the majors, but he'll get the shot to prove he can't. His instincts and gritty makeup get the most out of his tools--which aren't lacking. He has enough arm to make plays from the hole, along with range and quickness. He's not flashy but gets the job done. At worst, the Southeastern Conference player of the year will be an all-around second baseman. Offensively, he has a beautiful swing, above-average speed and control of the strike zone. He doesn't have plus home-run power, but he can hit the occasional longball and line balls into the gaps. In a lot of ways, he is similar to former Clemson star Khalil Greene, who went 13th overall to the Padres last year. Hill could go in the same spot to the Blue Jays and won't make it past the Athletics, who choose 25th and 26th.