PDA

View Full Version : sporting news

fquaye149
06-01-2003, 01:02 AM
i just saw the sporting news tonight, trashed off my ass so i don't remember who wrote the article...rosenthal maybe? but it's called "these sox are full of holes" or something like that. check it out. it's about how we lack a left-handed power hitter and that reinsdorf will probably dump all our liabilities if we keep slipping. a decent article since it is one of the few to mention the fact that we will NOT keep hitting like we are right now.

jeremyb1
06-01-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i just saw the sporting news tonight, trashed off my ass so i don't remember who wrote the article...rosenthal maybe? but it's called "these sox are full of holes" or something like that. check it out. it's about how we lack a left-handed power hitter and that reinsdorf will probably dump all our liabilities if we keep slipping. a decent article since it is one of the few to mention the fact that we will NOT keep hitting like we are right now.

what makes me the most angry about out struggles is that it gives the naysayers a chance to say "i told you so" about our club. what infuriates me is that you won't find one columnist anywhere that claimed we would struggle because of our offense or more specifically that paul konerko would hit .220. our actual struggles and the struggles predicted by analysts prior to the season do not resemble each other at all.

analysts claimed we'd struggle because the back of our rotation wasn't strong enough. however, loaiza has been strong and garland has been excellent as of late these predictions were not based on wright's health problems. as far as our ability to hit righthanded pitching i doubt it would be as large an issue if paully was hitting at an all-star calliber level and hitting righties better than lefties as he did last season. the same more or less applies to carlos. predicting a team will struggle for reasons a, b, and c and then watching them struggle because of reasons d, e, and f is not vindication, its simply being wrong.

jeremyb1
06-01-2003, 02:06 AM
a prime example of shoddy analysis:

The Sox's on-base/slugging percentage against lefthanders was .796 compared with .694 against righties -- a reflection of their imbalanced lineup.

this would appear to the be the case with so many right handed hitters in the lineup, right? however, if you were to actually research these things you would discover that last season a very similar lineup had ops splits of .737 against lefties and .802 against righties!! since it seems unlikely that the subtraction of lofton and clayton alone drastically altered the teams ability to hit right vs. lefthanded pitching, the reality is that a number of players who had hit right handed pitching very well in the past miraculously find themselves unable to hit righthanded pitching. of course, to rosenthal and other writers this incredible shift was somehow predictable prior to the season, right?

the more you look at it in my opinion there's no other explanation other than something along the lines of this team being cursed. you can try to pin it on intangibles such as poor chemistry, a poor approach, poor leadership, a poor manager but it doesn't seem logical that those factors could so easily transform a 95 win club into a team that appears to be headed into the all-star break 5-10 games under .500 if they're lucky.