PDA

View Full Version : The real reason for shorter games?

Daver
05-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Mel Antonen from USA Today thinks so. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2003-05-30-strike-zone-hit-batsmen_x.htm)

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2003, 01:30 AM
I think so. Call the strike zone. I saw the tape of Shilling getting all cranked because the ump wasn't giving him strikes on pitches 6 inches outside, which is what they had done as a result of not calling the inside strike or the high strike. They had turned the strike zone on its side.

He's absolutely correct that the aluminum bat has been an abomination on baseball. Pitchers come through high school and college afraid to pitch inside. Go back to wooden bats, and have the umpires stop issuing warnings every time a pitch comes inside, and games will pick up.

Also, there was talk a couple of years ago about cracking down on batters wandering around between pitches, requiring them to keep a foot in the batter's box. That didn't last long. Some of them practically go back to the dugout between pitches.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Today's pitchers grew up learning their craft going against high school and college hitters using aluminum bats. Inside pitches are far less effective against metal bats, which don't break at the handles as their wooden counterparts do.

Not true. Check out the SportsCenter highlights of today's Auburn/Clemson game where the thirdbasemen wound up chasing the barrel of the aluminum bat as opposed to the ball. They can be broken. (I did not mean for this to be the norm, just pointing out a funny circumstance.)

The key to the inside strike will be eliminating the use of body armor at the plate. A guy will take a shot on the elbow when he gets to wear the big pads. I say, make a player walk up there with nothing but a shin guard, regardless of their current physical status. If a guy cannot stand at the plate like that, then he gets to go to the DL, plain and simple.