PDA

View Full Version : solid players in minor leagues

southpaw40
05-31-2003, 11:03 AM
I saw the W-S Warthogs play at the Salem Avalanche last night. This game proved to me that the White Sox organization does attempt to teach fundamental baseball to their minor league players.
This team very much resembled a well coached, well taught unit. Their performance in the routine plays (sacrifice bunts, shifting to cover bases in certain situations, outfielders hitting the cut-off man or throwing to the correct base) shows why they are a first place team. It's been pointed out that they lead the league in hitting and are second in pitching, so they have talent to go along with their strong fundamental play. And the calibre of the defensive play almost had me convinced that there is no way this team could be associated with the Chicago White Sox (hurts me to say that).
They displayed an enthusiasm for the game, and seemed to truly enjoy each other as teammates.
I am curious about our other minor league teams, whether they
have these same characteristics. And if so, what happens to this enthusiasm and strong funamental play when (if) they reach Chicago?

Hullett_Fan
05-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
I saw the W-S Warthogs play at the Salem Avalanche last night. This game proved to me that the White Sox organization does attempt to teach fundamental baseball to their minor league players.
This team very much resembled a well coached, well taught unit. Their performance in the routine plays (sacrifice bunts, shifting to cover bases in certain situations, outfielders hitting the cut-off man or throwing to the correct base) shows why they are a first place team. It's been pointed out that they lead the league in hitting and are second in pitching, so they have talent to go along with their strong fundamental play. And the calibre of the defensive play almost had me convinced that there is no way this team could be associated with the Chicago White Sox (hurts me to say that).

Sending all the 'Hogs up now and send these 'major leaguers' down there to (re)learn the fundamentals!!!

Seriously, sounds like a good time. I'm definitely leaning toward seeing more minor league games (and fewer ML games) in future. It's a good time, food/beer is cheaper and the players give a darn.

southpaw40
05-31-2003, 11:47 AM
It's a good time, food/beer is cheaper and the players give a darn. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't know about the price of a beer at the Cell, but here at a Class A game, the cold Bud was $4.50 each. I complained all six times I bought one!

Lip Man 1
05-31-2003, 12:43 PM
If that's true then what happens when all these fundamentally sound kids hit the big leagues?

Olivo's the latest example with two stupid base running mistakes in the last week alone.

Or is this another indictment of the big league club's manager and coaching staff? (i.e. an inability to keep the fundamentals going when the rookies hit the highest level.)

Lip

duke of dorwood
05-31-2003, 01:24 PM
I'd like to see Rauch get the same opportunity Wright keeps getting

southpaw40
05-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If that's true then what happens when all these fundamentally sound kids hit the big leagues?

Olivo's the latest example with two stupid base running mistakes in the last week alone.

Lip

That's the question I'd like to see answered! What happens to them when they reach the big leagues? The Warthogs team impressed me as being exact polar opposites of the Chisox!

A theory that I believe might partially explain the apparent lack of fundamentals by the major league club:

The ineptness feeds off itself! I believe part of the explanation is that a big portion of the fundamental mistakes at the big league level is due to over agressiveness by the players trying to make something positive happen! Any major league player must know that you don't make the final out at third base by running in front of the third baseman when he's fielding the ball (I assume that's what you're talking about), but he does it trying to make something exciting and positive happen to shake the team out of it's lethargic play. And the sad part of it is, the letharic play continues because of the bonehead plays!

DonkeyKongerko
05-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Sending all the 'Hogs up now and send these 'major leaguers' down there to (re)learn the fundamentals!!!

Sounds like Major League 3: Back to the Minors. Perhaps Scott Bakula would like to get a piece of this action.

NC_sox_fan
05-31-2003, 04:41 PM
I saw Kannapolis play for the first time last night. Any thoughts of having a good team in Winston-Salem next year flew out the door when I watched them.

They are extremely young.....I would like to first point out. BUT....not fundamentally sound . That was also said of our Warthog team last year by a scout sitting near us at a game. He was right, unfortunately. We finished 50 - 90.

The Kannapolis team has poor fielding, poor base-running and the pitching was not the best. I left feeling depressed, although they managed to win the game. Hopefully, with good coaching and instruction, they can learn the fundamentals this season.

A side note about the Sox minors: has anyone else noticed that as players go up the ladder, they quit stealing bases? When Chad Durham was here, he stole 50 bases (or near that). This year he has 8. Also, Olivo stole a lot at Birmingham but I don't think he's attempted many in the big leagues. Just another puzzle. What happens to those skills????

jeremyb1
05-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
I saw Kannapolis play for the first time last night. Any thoughts of having a good team in Winston-Salem next year flew out the door when I watched them.

They are extremely young.....I would like to first point out. BUT....not fundamentally sound . That was also said of our Warthog team last year by a scout sitting near us at a game. He was right, unfortunately. We finished 50 - 90.

The Kannapolis team has poor fielding, poor base-running and the pitching was not the best. I left feeling depressed, although they managed to win the game. Hopefully, with good coaching and instruction, they can learn the fundamentals this season.

A side note about the Sox minors: has anyone else noticed that as players go up the ladder, they quit stealing bases? When Chad Durham was here, he stole 50 bases (or near that). This year he has 8. Also, Olivo stole a lot at Birmingham but I don't think he's attempted many in the big leagues. Just another puzzle. What happens to those skills????

i think a lot of it is just that its much more difficult to steal against catchers and pitchers more skilled at keeping base runners in check.

southpaw40
05-31-2003, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
[B]I saw Kannapolis play for the first time last night. Any thoughts of having a good team in Winston-Salem next year flew out the door when I watched them.

NC_sox_fan, don't be too hasty with your decision. I know you're aware that Kannapolis is a Lo "A" team, which is to say, in theory most of the players are either one year removed from rookie league, or in some cases, this is their first year of pro baseball. Teams at this level of play are lucky to have more than two or three legitimate prospects, and even they have to go through a learning period.
When I read your post, I checked the current Warthog roster, and there are 11 members who were at Kannapolis last season. As I recall, Kannapolis didn't have a great won-loss record last season (just going by memory, might be mistaken). I recall seeing last year's version of the Warthogs, and they were truly a horrible baseball team, too.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, based on the level of improvemet in the Warthogs this year, there has to be a reason, and I'm hoping it's due to good coaching techniques applied to coachable players.

hogsmom
05-31-2003, 08:33 PM
As much as I love to cheer on the ' Hogs, unfortunately, once their errors cost them a lot of runs. I listen to all the games if I can't go to the game and usually once the errors start, the game goes downhill. We have some great talent at bat and in the field, but mistakes happen. We are just about to go into second place if the boys have another bad night. Oh well, what can you do on sitting in the bleachers?