PDA

View Full Version : gary glover

jeremyb1
05-31-2003, 05:08 AM
glover has stuggled quite a bit lately which dissapoints me, as i along with some others here had big expectations for him in his return to the pen this season. i'm not entirely sure what the problem is as he has had difficulties with his mechanics in the past and that could easily be the problem. one other problem i could see though is that he hasn't seen very regular work as opposed to the beginning of last season when he was dominant as our setup guy. hopefully manuel can find him more opportunities to pitch in low pressure situations so he can get it together.

Hullett_Fan
05-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
glover has stuggled quite a bit lately which dissapoints me, as i along with some others here had big expectations for him in his return to the pen this season. i'm not entirely sure what the problem is as he has had difficulties with his mechanics in the past and that could easily be the problem. one other problem i could see though is that he hasn't seen very regular work as opposed to the beginning of last season when he was dominant as our setup guy. hopefully manuel can find him more opportunities to pitch in low pressure situations so he can get it together.

Jeremy, the problem is that he's not a major-league caliber pitcher. He Sucks. Last year was a fluke. Sorry, but there's no other way to put it.

Other than Wunsch, Koch and Marte, I don't trust any of the guys in the pen to hold a lead or keep a game close.

Maybe some guys down on the farm can help :?:

gosox41
05-31-2003, 09:13 AM

I agre that lack of work has hurt Glover. Relievers need consistent work to stay sharp. Maybe the Sox should have him throwing more on off days.

Bob

MHOUSE
05-31-2003, 02:14 PM
It's lack of work. He's a good pitcher and was good at the start of the season. Now they keep giving the ball to White for no reason and putting in Glover sporatically. I think if he works every 3 days or so he could be good. Stop wasting time with White all ready.

jeremyb1
05-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Jeremy, the problem is that he's not a major-league caliber pitcher. He Sucks. Last year was a fluke. Sorry, but there's no other way to put it.

Other than Wunsch, Koch and Marte, I don't trust any of the guys in the pen to hold a lead or keep a game close.

Maybe some guys down on the farm can help :?:

i strongly disagree. glover had an an era below 3 over a stretch of 45 ip in '01 and an era of 1.21 in 22.1 ip in relief last season. that's too good for too long to be a complete fluke. he may lack consistency but my point is that that's what regular work and assistance correcting his mechanics from coop should be able to fix. he's not a guy that should have an era of 5 in the pen.

DonkeyKongerko
05-31-2003, 05:03 PM
He's been the best mop-up guy we've had over the past 2 seasons. I don't know if he is great in pressure situations - that is with inherited runners. I like him coming into the 6th or 7th inning with the bases empty, which has usually been when White has been coming in lately.

MarkEdward
05-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
It's lack of work. He's a good pitcher and was good at the start of the season. Now they keep giving the ball to White for no reason and putting in Glover sporatically. I think if he works every 3 days or so he could be good. Stop wasting time with White all ready.

David Sanders seeme to have stepped into the Gary Glover role for this year, mopping up in blowouts and what-not. I agree though; he's just not getting enough work.

One thing can be certain: Rick White must go.

jeremyb1
05-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
David Sanders seeme to have stepped into the Gary Glover role for this year, mopping up in blowouts and what-not. I agree though; he's just not getting enough work.

One thing can be certain: Rick White must go.

i really wish we could do something to free up white's roster spot. that would allow us to call up ginter or even better in my opinion move wright into the pen and call up rauch to be our fifth starter assuming wright continues to struggle.

MHOUSE
06-01-2003, 01:11 AM
i really wish we could do something to free up white's roster spot. that would allow us to call up ginter or even better in my opinion move wright into the pen and call up rauch to be our fifth starter assuming wright continues to struggle.

Agreed. I think if White were gone then Sanders and Glover could get more consistent work in mop-up and maybe even a few real situations. Marte/Gordon can set up Koch in close games with Kelly getting in when he can. Having this many pitchers just doesn't help with getting everyone enough work especially with White being so bad. Cut him all ready!