PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Marte in The Rotation Next Year?

joecrede
05-30-2003, 06:07 PM
With the dominance of Royce Ring in Birmingham, I was just wondering what everyone thought of moving Marte into the rotation next year. I know there had been some talk of that happening last year (Cooper, I think, said he could do it.)

I'd like to see it, but what kind of performance could we realistically expect from him if he were to be in the rotation?

doublem23
05-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Ugh, I think the Sox have wasted enough relievers... Marte is good at what he does, why move him?

jeremyb1
05-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
With the dominance of Royce Ring in Birmingham, I was just wondering what everyone thought of moving Marte into the rotation next year. I know there had been some talk of that happening last year (Cooper, I think, said he could do it.)

I'd like to see it, but what kind of performance could we realistically expect from him if he were to be in the rotation?

personally, i'm not sure that the rotation is a large enough problem to justify that move. presumably at least loaiza, buehrle, garland, and wright will all be back next year. its possible garland or wright won't be in the rotation if either struggles a lot (i'm still interested to see what wright could do in one inning stints) but i expect at least one of the two will be. on top of that we also have rauch and cotts and apparent contenders for rotations spots next season.

i'm not entirely opposed to a move such as trying marte as a starter if its necessary i'm just not sure how necessary it is. you do make a great point about our embarassment of riches as far as left handed relievers. with ring, wunsch, marte, sanders, and munuz (who's been better in AAA lately) we have far more lefties than we know what to do with. as an organization we have to find out how we're going to maximize the value of those pitchers and perhaps also question our philosiphy when it comes to determining whether pitchers will start or relieve in the minors.

MHOUSE
05-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Our rotation is fine. Marte is a great reliever. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep him in the pen. The guy is just nasty!

MHOUSE
05-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Hey DoubleM, Shammee whiffed 3 times today, did you update the meter?

doublem23
05-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Hey DoubleM, Shammee whiffed 3 times today, did you update the meter?

Did now. :cool:

MHOUSE
05-31-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Did now. :cool:

Sweet deal dude. Who's next after Schmidt? He should pass him by July easily.

Dadawg_77
05-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Sweet deal dude. Who's next after Schmidt? He should pass him by July easily.

July, I am think June 5th.

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2003, 01:44 AM
Sweet deal dude. Who's next after Schmidt? He should pass him by July easily. If it takes Sammy a month to get nine Ks, that will be headline news. Unless he goes on the DL again for the entire month of June.

DC Sox Fan
05-31-2003, 03:42 AM
I was more impressed by party marte than anyone when I saw the sox in b'more this year. Honestly, his place is in the 'pen, and he's incredibly valuable there. Let him work his magic in the 5th-8th. Party Marte rules!!!