PDA

View Full Version : Do we offer Loaiza a contract?

A.T. Money
05-30-2003, 02:42 PM
He's been such a breath of fresh air. The Sox can easily afford this guy.

Sportsline.com has him ranked #1 overall and #1 among starting pitchers. He's pretty much been the whole season. We've seen what he can do for 3 months now, including ST. Other than a couple walks vs. Seattle, he's been awesome! He should be 10-1 as far as I'm concerned (defense blew it vs Minnie and couldn't score vs the Tiggers). I say by the All-Star break, assuming he's still pitching this way, we offer him a multi-year contract.

A.T. Money
05-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Loaiza may be our version of Kevin Brown. Shaky with all teams until he found his home.

Daver
05-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
He's been such a breath of fresh air. The Sox can easily afford this guy.

Sportsline.com has him ranked #1 overall and #1 among starting pitchers. He's pretty much been the whole season. We've seen what he can do for 3 months now, including ST. Other than a couple walks vs. Seattle, he's been awesome! He should be 10-1 as far as I'm concerned (defense blew it vs Minnie and couldn't score vs the Tiggers). I say by the All-Star break, assuming he's still pitching this way, we offer him a multi-year contract.

The Sox hold an option on him for next year.

lowesox
05-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Since this season is clearly over, if we had any other GM, I'd say trade Loaiza while is value has peaked.

But with Kenny...

MRKARNO
05-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I'll be pretty pissed if he has 12 wins by the break and he's traded before the deadline. I want to see the sox use him until he shows that he is in decline because you know he'll stay good if the sox trade him. I would sign him to a 5 year contract while he's still cheap!

Iguana775
05-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Since this season is clearly over, if we had any other GM, I'd say trade Loaiza while is value has peaked.

But with Kenny...

Let's just trade everyone and bring up the AAA team.

Foulke You
05-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Sox hold an option on him for next year.

How much money is the option on his contract?

MRKARNO
05-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
How much money is the option on his contract?

About 3.5 million I think

Hangar18
05-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Why we WOULDNT sign him, would be beyond me. Loiaza is obviously a Pitcher who has Finally CLICKED on all Cylinders. Some Pitchers are like that. A guy who will be like that, hes already on our staff.....a certain Jon Garland. Til then, the White Sox should just keep trotting him out there IN THE NO. 5 SPOT, Meanwhile FILLING THE OTHER 4 SPOTS with QUALITY PITCHERS.
This is the Recipe for WINNING BASEBALL. Works everytime. All Common Sense really. The minute you start putting question marks in your staff (1995, 1998, 1999, 2001 come to mind) you significantly DIMINISH your chances of winning your Division/Going far in the Playoffs. Look at the years I just noted.......did the Sox do anything those years? Hell No they didnt. Matter of Fact...they werent EVEN CLOSE. You would think somebody over at the 35th St Braintrust would Put
2 + 2 together. (Note to Kenny/JR 2+2 = FOUR)

34 Inch Stick
05-30-2003, 04:47 PM
I believe the option is for 4 million next year. That's two years at a steal price for the kind of production he has shown so far. The Sox will never trade a person who is making minimal dollars and actually playing well (and who would).

Extending the deal another couple of years migh not be a bad idea. However who knows what the economics of baseball are going to be. Attendence is in sharp decline and last year's free agents found very little money. Two years from now a 33 year old with only two good years may not get much.

jeremyb1
05-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

But with Kenny...

i don't see it. people are going to question whether he can keep it up over a full season so we wouldn't get a boatload for him. if he has kept it up by the trade dealine or the end of the season, with a 6 million dollar for next season, we'd have to be insane to deal him unless we got an awful lot in return.

MHOUSE
05-30-2003, 10:35 PM
If he keeps this up all year and wins 15-20 games then resign him for next year at $4M. That's darm cheap for as good as he has been. Then if we can start winning next year he'll solidify the rotation. If not, then his value should be ok and he'll be very tradeable next year.

Knowing KW though he'll either sign him to a 5-year deal or trade him now for a 30-year old minor leaguer and pay his salary as well.