PDA

View Full Version : From Baseball America's Draft Chat ...

joecrede
05-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Jim Callis said he's heard that the Sox might take Anthony Gwynn (Tony's son) with the 15th pick because of signability issues. If that happens ... :angry:

DirtySouthsider
05-30-2003, 02:03 PM
So would that be a bad pick???

LuvSox
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Sox used to have Pete Rose jr. too.................

Daver
05-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Sox used to have Pete Rose jr. too.................

And now Pete is playing for the Joliet Jackhammers.

LuvSox
05-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by daver
And now Pete is playing for the Joliet Jackhammers.
I did not know that. I'm going to catch a game in Gary when they are in town.

Daver
05-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

Anthony Gwynn, of

School: San Diego State U. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Poway, Calif.
B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 185. Birthdate: Oct. 4, 1982.
Previously Drafted: Braves '00 (33).

Scouting Report: If he were a player of any other name, Anthony Gwynn might be a fourth- or fifth-round pick. But he's squarely in the mix in the second round--there's pressure on San Diego to take him with its pick. Gwynn is the son of the greatest Padres player ever and one of the greatest hitters of all time. Though there are resemblances in their swings and approach at the plate, Gwynn has shown few signs of putting up the same numbers as his father Tony, now his coach at San Diego State. He struggled with the bat right from the start of the 2003 season and might not have hit even .250 if he hadn't beaten up two or three of the most porous pitching staffs in the offensive-oriented Mountain West Conference. He showed no power this year, failing to hit even a single homer. He infrequently made hard contact and was primarily a singles hitter who sprayed balls to all fields. Some scouts believe, though, the 6-foot, 185-pound Gwynn will be a much better pro than college player. Beyond his bat, all his other tools play well and his approach is better suited for the daily grind of the pros. He's been around the pro game all his life and knows what to expect. He already plays center field like a big leaguer. He can chase down balls with anyone and his instincts are off the chart. Though scouts never saw the home runs or stolen bases (25) this year they expected or had seen in the past, some have cut him some slack because they know that few, if any, college players performed under more pressure this year--with the draft and his famous dad as his coach.

joecrede
05-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider

Gwynn is ranked as about the 40th best player in the draft.

Randar68
05-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

And that's a stretch.

Dadawg_77
05-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Anthony Gwynn, of

School: San Diego State U. Class: Jr.
Hometown: Poway, Calif.
B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 185. Birthdate: Oct. 4, 1982.
Previously Drafted: Braves '00 (33).

Scouting Report: If he were a player of any other name, Anthony Gwynn might be a fourth- or fifth-round pick. But he's squarely in the mix in the second round--there's pressure on San Diego to take him with its pick. Gwynn is the son of the greatest Padres player ever and one of the greatest hitters of all time. Though there are resemblances in their swings and approach at the plate, Gwynn has shown few signs of putting up the same numbers as his father Tony, now his coach at San Diego State. He struggled with the bat right from the start of the 2003 season and might not have hit even .250 if he hadn't beaten up two or three of the most porous pitching staffs in the offensive-oriented Mountain West Conference. He showed no power this year, failing to hit even a single homer. He infrequently made hard contact and was primarily a singles hitter who sprayed balls to all fields. Some scouts believe, though, the 6-foot, 185-pound Gwynn will be a much better pro than college player. Beyond his bat, all his other tools play well and his approach is better suited for the daily grind of the pros. He's been around the pro game all his life and knows what to expect. He already plays center field like a big leaguer. He can chase down balls with anyone and his instincts are off the chart. Though scouts never saw the home runs or stolen bases (25) this year they expected or had seen in the past, some have cut him some slack because they know that few, if any, college players performed under more pressure this year--with the draft and his famous dad as his coach.

Any other stats besides batting avg?

Daver
05-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Google search for San Jose State baseball,I'm sure they have a website for the team,I'm not a big follower of stats.

Randar68
05-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Try here: linky (http://www.google.com)

Randar68
05-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Google search for San Jose State baseball,I'm sure they have a website for the team,I'm not a big follower of stats.

hahaha, beat me by seconds.

kermittheefrog
05-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Jim Callis said he's heard that the Sox might take Anthony Gwynn (Tony's son) with the 15th pick because of signability issues. If that happens ... :angry:

He's something like sixth or seventh on his own college team in OBP. That would be a terrible pick.

MarkEdward
05-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Uuughhhhh. .405 OBP, .467 SLG. Fifth on his team in SLG (the leader has a pithy .555), nowhere near the top five in OBP, ranked as the 59th best prospect by BA.

This will not happen. There's no way that this will happen. I mean, it just can't happen.

34 Inch Stick
05-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Does the Mountain West Conference play defense in any sport?

jeremyb1
05-30-2003, 04:46 PM
the section of the transcript dealing with us possibly taking gwyn reads as follows

_Q:_
Peter Friberg from San Diego asks:
I've heard that w their 2nd pick, the Padres hope to draft Anthony Gwynn. Is he a bit of reach for the early 2nd?

_A:_
Jim Callis: Gwynn was very good in the Cape Cod League, hits line drives and plays a nice center field. With his bloodlines, he won't be there when the Padres pick in the third round. We're also hearing that the White Sox might take him at No. 15, which would be an overdraft for signability purposes.

if you're looking for another reason to hate reinsdorf, this is a pretty good one in my opinion.

Hangar18
05-30-2003, 05:10 PM
This is ridiculous. they better not waste that 15th pick on this guy.........Simply because of money? Makes me think that if we had the #1 pick last year, we probably wouldve Passed on the Greatest AAA (Arrogant Amateur Athlete) pitcher of all time also.
YES, Im Really Really REally starting to hate Jerry Reinsdorf....

Daver
05-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Really?

We hadn't noticed.

:redneck

Vsahajpal
05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This is ridiculous. they better not waste that 15th pick on this guy.........Simply because of money? Makes me think that if we had the #1 pick last year, we probably wouldve Passed on the Greatest AAA (Arrogant Amateur Athlete) pitcher of all time also.

Now you've got beef with Bryan Bullington!?!

jeremyb1
05-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

hehe. i'm guessing he meant prior two years ago.

gosox41
05-31-2003, 08:21 AM

So it's a perfect White Sox first round pick. If they draft him in the first round the Sox can get him for less and he has somewhat of a bigname that Rob Gallas can fail to exploit.

Of course KW needs to call Billy Beane first to see if Gwynn or any other player he likes will be around at the 15th pick.

Bob

Hangar18
05-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
So it's a perfect White Sox first round pick. If they draft him in the first round the Sox can get him for less and he has somewhat of a bigname that Rob Gallas can fail to exploit.

Of course KW needs to call Billy Beane first to see if Gwynn or any other player he likes will be around at the 15th pick.

Bob

HEH HEH

SoxxoS
05-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Do KW and friends realize that we have no legit SS prospect other than Andy Gonzalez? And he is hitting a Konerko-esque .201 at Kannapolis. This is who is playing SS for the Sox right now-

Jorge Nunez-Not a legit prospect
Josh Shaffer-See above
Mike Morse-See above

Outfielders are a lot easier to find in the later rounds than a SS (obviously, look at our farm system).

I realize the draft is a crapshoot, but we need to address the SS position early. There has got to be a SS worth taking in the 4th round.

Daver
05-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Do KW and friends realize that we have no legit SS prospect other than Andy Gonzalez? And he is hitting a Konerko-esque .201 at Kannapolis. This is who is playing SS for the Sox right now-

Jorge Nunez-Not a legit prospect
Josh Shaffer-See above
Mike Morse-See above

Outfielders are a lot easier to find in the later rounds than a SS (obviously, look at our farm system).

I realize the draft is a crapshoot, but we need to address the SS position early. There has got to be a SS worth taking in the 4th round.

This is a really weak draft for SS.

Hangar18
05-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

good one vic he heh.