PDA

View Full Version : I nominate E Lo to Start AL All Star Game

Hangar18
05-30-2003, 07:49 AM
just my opinion. This will offset the numerous Cubs that Dusty
will take to the south side

Hullett_Fan
05-30-2003, 07:57 AM
E. Lo will definitely make the team...but I think Mulder will get the start. Though it'd be great to have a Sox pitcher start the game. would it be the first time since Early Wynn???

Mammoo
05-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Whether he starts or not, he has fashioned a remarkable season thus far. I am very happy for him and Ken Williams for the way this thing turned out. :smile:

Give the devil his due; without Williams' acquisition of EL, the Sox would be screwed, blued and tattooed!

This one's for you, Ken! :gulp:

34 Inch Stick
05-30-2003, 08:40 AM
I would think Clemens will get the start. He has pitched well this year and with the 300 wins he will be a sentimental favorite.

DustyIsOverated1
05-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
just my opinion. This will offset the numerous Cubs that Dusty
will take to the south side

Can we just quit calling him that like right now?

Spiff
05-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would think Clemens will get the start. He has pitched well this year and with the 300 wins he will be a sentimental favorite.

There's no way Clemens should start the game. He's not even the best pitcher on his team this year. Mussina is 7-3 with a 2.62 era as compared to Roger's 6-3, 3.71. Even Wells with a 6-2, 3.48 would be a better pick.

mack10zie
05-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Spiff
There's no way Clemens should start the game. He's not even the best pitcher on his team this year. Mussina is 7-3 with a 2.62 era as compared to Roger's 6-3, 3.71. Even Wells with a 6-2, 3.48 would be a better pick.

While I agree with the fact that he's not even the best pitcher on his team this year, I don't agree that this would disqualify him from being named started considering the fact that he will most likely have become a 300 game winner by that time. I think breaking that milestone REALLY bumps him right up there. Would I start him over guys like Mulder, Mussina, and Loaiza? No way. But I would not be surprised at all to see it happen.

maurice
05-30-2003, 11:10 AM
If the All-Star game were played next week, he definitely should start: #1 in ERA, #1 in wins, pitches for the host team. I guess it will depend on where he ranks at the break.

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Loaiza may pitch, but I guarantee he won't start. The stature of one's team plays a part in your role on the AS squad, IMO. The Sox suck, so Esteban gets short-shrifted as a result.

voodoochile
05-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Loaiza may pitch, but I guarantee he won't start. The stature of one's team plays a part in your role on the AS squad, IMO. The Sox suck, so Esteban gets short-shrifted as a result.

Has a team ever had its sole mandated representative be the starting pitcher before? Loaiza will be the Sox rep - no one else even comes close (maybe Wunsch, but a specialty short reliever?) Who starts will depend on the next few weeks. If Loaiza is 11-2 or 11-3 with an ERA around 2.00 I don't see how he can't be the starter...

Foulke You
05-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
E. Lo will definitely make the team...but I think Mulder will get the start. Though it'd be great to have a Sox pitcher start the game. would it be the first time since Early Wynn???

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember Black Jack McDowell starting an All-Star Game in the early '90s.

LuvSox
05-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember Black Jack McDowell starting an All-Star Game in the early '90s.

Jack never started.

spanishwhite
05-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Has a team ever had its sole mandated representative be the starting pitcher before? Loaiza will be the Sox rep - no one else even comes close (maybe Wunsch, but a specialty short reliever?) Who starts will depend on the next few weeks. If Loaiza is 11-2 or 11-3 with an ERA around 2.00 I don't see how he can't be the starter...

Because the way that Mulder is pitching, he'll be there with those stats too.

Mulder also has the benefit of a better team and a proven track record.

Id love to see Loaiza start, but the politics................

doublem23
05-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I don't think he ever started, but I think he won an All-Star Game way back when.

LuvSox
05-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I don't think he ever started, but I think he won an All-Star Game way back when.

1991 2 innings ND

1992 1 inning ND

1993 1 inning W

white sox bill
05-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Spanish white took the words right out of my mouth. The poliTRICKS of the baseball heirachky would never allow a no-name pitcher from our beloved WHITE SOX to start the mid-season classic....But then again who cares about the All-star game?

Daver
05-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
But then again who cares about the All-star game?

The two teams that will be playing in the World Series do.

white sox bill
05-30-2003, 04:23 PM
The two teams that will be playing in the World Series do.

Daver, unfortunatly we won't be one of them, so I still pose the same question.