PDA

View Full Version : analysis of garland's recent success

jeremyb1
05-29-2003, 03:01 PM
unsuprisingly i haven't heard any judy garland or marshmellow comments directed at garland lately. he's been outstanding his last three starts. now, the big question is why? my guess is most people here subscribe to the theory that skipping his spot in the rotation forced him to focus more and make fewer mental mistakes.

while i won't deny the possibility that garland's demotion to the fifth starter could have affected his success i doubt its the main reason. everyone always wants to blame the pitcher for the mental aspect of the game when i'm guessing the main difference has been mechanics. garland has had much better control the last three games as you can tell by looking at his walk rate. last night dj and hawk commented at how smooth his delivery looked and he said himself the big difference has been the ability to keep his sinker down. i'm not sure focus has so much to do with it...

Hullett_Fan
05-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

while i won't deny the possibility that garland's demotion to the fifth starter could have affected his success i doubt its the main reason. everyone always wants to blame the pitcher for the mental aspect of the game when i'm guessing the main difference has been mechanics. garland has had much better control the last three games as you can tell by looking at his walk rate. last night dj and hawk commented at how smooth his delivery looked and he said himself the big difference has been the ability to keep his sinker down. i'm not sure focus has so much to do with it...

IMO, I think you've got to concentrate (mental focus) on repeating the same mechanics on every pitch. If you lose focus it's easy to rush the delivery...and the ball winds up doing something other than you want it to. The great finesse pitchers like Maddux have incredible concentration -- they know where they want the ball to be every time and do what it takes to hit that location.

As for why Judy Garland decided to focus now is beyond me. He either got chewed out, realized he needs to put it in gear before going to Charlotte...or is trying to impress scouts so a good team will trade for him (he probably read the Drew for Garland rumors). :D:

Blueprint1
05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Any maybe that Garland is young just like Kip Well's was. How is he doing anyway?

jeremyb1
05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
IMO, I think you've got to concentrate (mental focus) on repeating the same mechanics on every pitch. If you lose focus it's easy to rush the delivery...and the ball winds up doing something other than you want it to. The great finesse pitchers like Maddux have incredible concentration -- they know where they want the ball to be every time and do what it takes to hit that location.

As for why Judy Garland decided to focus now is beyond me. He either got chewed out, realized he needs to put it in gear before going to Charlotte...or is trying to impress scouts so a good team will trade for him (he probably read the Drew for Garland rumors). :D:

i don't buy the analysis that he simply wasn't trying hard before. i'm pretty sure he's arbitration elligible this offseason or maybe the next. he's forefeiting a lot of money with poor performance.

DrCrawdad
05-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Garland pitched with confidence, often getting first pitch strikes or being ahead in the count. Garland pitched like the guy who did well in ST.

Randar68
05-29-2003, 04:40 PM
unsuprisingly i haven't heard any judy garland or marshmellow comments directed at garland lately. he's been outstanding his last three starts. now, the big question is why? my guess is most people here subscribe to the theory that skipping his spot in the rotation forced him to focus more and make fewer mental mistakes.

1) Throwing the ball over the little white thingy
2) Making hitters hit pitches other than cookies over the plate when he is behind in the count
3) Confidence

hold2dibber
05-29-2003, 04:46 PM

They key for Garland is, and always has been, location. When he was dominating in the minors, he threw strikes and rarely walked anybody. When he has been at his best in the majors (like last night) he not only is throwing strikes, but he's throwing strikes where he wants them in the strike zone. What is the difference between the nights he has that command and the nights that he doesn't? It almost certainly is mechanical. What's not clear is why he has those mechanics sometimes and sometimes not. Garland is critical to this team's success, not just this year but in the years to come. Here's hoping he can start being the consistent no. 2 or 3 pitcher he appears to have the potential to be.

MRKARNO
05-29-2003, 05:48 PM
I have said a lot of bad things about Garland lately. While I have not enitrely been proved wrong, 2 or 3 consecutive high-quality starts would be enough to change my mind about Garland

gosox41
05-29-2003, 05:59 PM

Let's see Garland keep it up. He's got a ton of potential and that's why I'm so critical of him because I'd hate to see all the potential go to waste because limited success has gone to his head.

The only thing stopping Garland from being a 20 game winner and truly great is himself.

Bob

hose
05-29-2003, 09:50 PM

About a month ago I heard that Garland was getting advice from so many people that his head was spinning.

It could be that he did get locked in as you say and has his sinker ball working.

Lowe from Boston had his "Turbo Sinker" working last year and he was awesome. This year Lowe hasn't really got on track.

Irishsox1
05-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Garland needs to believe that his stuff can get guys out on a regular basis and he needs to stop nibbling on the corners of the plate. He has great mechanics with a very smooth delivery. I wish that he would take more confidence in himself and be more aggresive. When Garland pitches well, it is because he has control and he's aggresive.

jeremyb1
05-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Garland needs to believe that his stuff can get guys out on a regular basis and he needs to stop nibbling on the corners of the plate. He has great mechanics with a very smooth delivery. I wish that he would take more confidence in himself and be more aggresive. When Garland pitches well, it is because he has control and he's aggresive.

see i really don't see it as nibling i see it as a lack of command on his part. it seems to me he struggles because he can't locate the ball and leaves his sinker up and over the plate where it straightens out and gives hitters a great pitch to wail on. he hasn't given up a single home run in the last three games. i suppose you could argue its because he's ahead in the count but to me it seems like its more because he's managed not to throw the ball up and down the middle.

kermittheefrog
05-30-2003, 02:30 AM
see i really don't see it as nibling i see it as a lack of command on his part. it seems to me he struggles because he can't locate the ball and leaves his sinker up and over the plate where it straightens out and gives hitters a great pitch to wail on. he hasn't given up a single home run in the last three games. i suppose you could argue its because he's ahead in the count but to me it seems like its more because he's managed not to throw the ball up and down the middle.

I have to agree with Jeremy. I think its silly to imply that a major league pitcher with two years of experience has good enough stuff and command to succeed if he just stopped nibbling.