PDA

View Full Version : Bo Sox-D Backs trade?

MHOUSE
05-29-2003, 02:26 PM
I heard during the Dan Patrick show that Boston and Arizona are reportedly close to a deal: Hillenbrand for Byung-Hun Kim. St. Louis traded for Esteban Yan on Tuesday. So much for us trading someone to those teams. Any other rumours or thoughts?

34 Inch Stick
05-29-2003, 02:58 PM
It's still a little early. St. Louis will be back after Yan blows a few games.

July should see Valentin, Colon, Alomar, Gordon, White (Cardinals may want him back), and maybe even Lee in new uniforms. I hate to see Lee go but this group has been togther for a long time and accomplished very little. Lee is hot, Konerko is untradable and I cannot even think of trading Maggs.

On the other side, Olivo, Crede and Borchard should start a majority of the games the rest of the way. It would also be good to see if Jimenez can play short and if Willie can play second/hit on the major league level.

Rauch should be put out there when Colon is gone. Wright and Garland should not miss a start the rest of the year. Other youngsters should be in the bullpen.

Let's face it, the rest of this season should be one long tryout for next year.

Foulke You
05-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I heard during the Dan Patrick show that Boston and Arizona are reportedly close to a deal: Hillenbrand for Byung-Hun Kim. St. Louis traded for Esteban Yan on Tuesday. So much for us trading someone to those teams. Any other rumours or thoughts?

I wonder why the Red Sox seem so eager to dump Shea Hillenbrand? The guy has been really productive for them the past couple years and it is hard to find good thirdbasemen these days. Do they have a hot prospect to fill his position or something?

Iguana775
05-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Why does everyone assume that there will be a fire sale? maybe i am just being naive to think that it is not a forgone conclusion.

Daver
05-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I wonder why the Red Sox seem so eager to dump Shea Hillenbrand? The guy has been really productive for them the past couple years and it is hard to find good thirdbasemen these days. Do they have a hot prospect to fill his position or something?

The Red Sox farm system has little of value.

Spiff
05-29-2003, 03:12 PM

Bill Mueller has been hitting the cover off of the ball. They were trying to unload Hillenbrand even before the season started for Colon, but Montreal wanted Fossum too.

Foulke You
05-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
Bill Mueller has been hitting the cover off of the ball. They were trying to unload Hillenbrand even before the season started for Colon, but Montreal wanted Fossum too.

Interesting. Mueller is a decent offensive player but offensively I'd have to give the edge to Hillenbrand. I guess when you are desperate for bullpen help, you got to trade something good to get something good. Here's hoping he goes to the D'backs instead of the Cubs. I fear Hillenbrand would be quite a terror with the short fences at Wrigley.

hold2dibber
05-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Interesting. Mueller is a decent offensive player but offensively I'd have to give the edge to Hillenbrand. I guess when you are desperate for bullpen help, you got to trade something good to get something good. Here's hoping he goes to the D'backs instead of the Cubs. I fear Hillenbrand would be quite a terror with the short fences at Wrigley.

Hillbenbrand is on pace to hit about 10 homers this year. That ain't gonna cut it for a 3B in the AL, playing at Fenway. And I think that the Red Sox best prospect (kevin youkalis, or something vaguely similar to that) is a 3B. I think it would be a great trade for Boston.

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Hillbenbrand is on pace to hit about 10 homers this year. That ain't gonna cut it for a 3B in the AL

Yes, but in the weaker National League, playing in a Bogus ballpark that the national media reveres, where a ball hit just right in the power alleys travelling 360 feet, qualifies as a Home Run.....would make him another Icon in club wrigley. He'd hit 30 out of there.

Foulke You
05-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes, but in the weaker National League, playing in a Bogus ballpark that the national media reveres, where a ball hit just right in the power alleys travelling 360 feet, qualifies as a Home Run.....would make him another Icon in club wrigley. He'd hit 30 out of there.

I agree with Hangar. Hillenbrand hit 18 HR last year and while his HR total is low this year, the weather hasn't heated up yet and he has been playing under a lot of stress since his name is trotted out in trade rumors all the time and he still has managed 38RBIs this year. I tend to think he'd poke out 25HR easy with that bozo bucket basket at Wrigley.

Spiff
05-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Hillbenbrand is on pace to hit about 10 homers this year. That ain't gonna cut it for a 3B in the AL, playing at Fenway. And I think that the Red Sox best prospect (kevin youkalis, or something vaguely similar to that) is a 3B. I think it would be a great trade for Boston.

The Red Sox best prospect is SS Freddy Sanchez, though I don't know where they'll move him once he hits the majors.

Hillenbrand may not have a lot of home runs but you can't dispute the .303 avg, 17 doubles and 38 rbis.

hold2dibber
05-29-2003, 04:55 PM
The Red Sox best prospect is SS Freddy Sanchez, though I don't know where they'll move him once he hits the majors.

Hillenbrand may not have a lot of home runs but you can't dispute the .303 avg, 17 doubles and 38 rbis.

I'm not saying Hillenbrand is a hack, but I don't think he's much better than Mueller (though he is better). Hillenbrand has a career OPS of .749 and has hit only 33 HRs in about 1300 big league ABs. He's not horrible, but he's no great shakes. In a nutshell, he's replaceable and Kim is a pretty good pitcher. I deal an avg. position player for an above average pitcher every time. I think it's a damn good trade for the Red Sox.

hold2dibber
05-29-2003, 04:56 PM

Do you know who the 3B prospect I'm think of is?

MarkEdward
05-29-2003, 05:32 PM

I think you're talking about Kevin Youkilis (in "Moneyball," he was nicknamed "the Greek god of walks).

Anyway, Hillenbrand doesn't draw any walks, a big no-no in the Theo Epstein-run Red Sox organization. He's not a bad player, but since the Sox are in the playoff hunt, Mueller is probably the better option at third.

Spiff
05-29-2003, 05:33 PM

I think the guy you're thinking of is Kevin Youkilis. I don't know much about him but he's hitting .274-1-14 in AA so far this year.

Vsahajpal
05-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Shea is overrated, and Wrigley is a pitchers park.