PDA

View Full Version : what is Konerko doing?


Blueprint1
05-29-2003, 01:00 PM
What was with that new batting stance. I think that pauly is really pushing too hard. He needs to go up there and just hit.

LuvSox
05-29-2003, 01:08 PM
He's hurt, remember?

steff
05-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
What was with that new batting stance. I think that pauly is really pushing too hard. He needs to go up there and just hit.


He's over compensating for his injury!!

Brian26
05-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Yeah, it's that degenerative hip injury everyone supposedly should know about since it's so well-documented.

I think it was in the paper the day before Kenny Williams was fired and Frank Thomas was signed by the Orioles.

steff
05-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Yeah, it's that degenerative hip injury everyone supposedly should know about since it's so well-documented.

I think it was in the paper the day before Kenny Williams was fired and Frank Thomas was signed by the Orioles.


:whiner: :whiner:

LuvSox
05-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
He's over compensating for his injury!!

Why has his injury affected his swing but not his ability to run or dive?

maurice
05-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I think it was in the paper the day before Kenny Williams was fired and Frank Thomas was signed by the Orioles.

*****!

:gulp:

gosox41
05-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
He's over compensating for his injury!!

How do you know his hip is bothering him right now (vs. previous seasons?) TheSox should put him on the DL if htat's the case because he isn't helping the team win. Also, Paulie should stop telling everyone he's healthy as a horse if he isn't.

Bob

kermittheefrog
05-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
What was with that new batting stance. I think that pauly is really pushing too hard. He needs to go up there and just hit.

Maybe he's just done like dinner.

steff
05-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
How do you know his hip is bothering him right now (vs. previous seasons?) TheSox should put him on the DL if htat's the case because he isn't helping the team win. Also, Paulie should stop telling everyone he's healthy as a horse if he isn't.

Bob

Well, I know he's getting shots. Would he be getting them if it wasn't bothering him? Perhaps that's helping? I do know that they do give immediate relief and it lasts for a few days, but when it wears off the pain is sometimes worse than before the shot. Sometimes that sensation is intensified with the motion of the swing.

34 Inch Stick
05-30-2003, 09:37 AM
If he is hurt, now would be a perfect day to put him on the 15 day DL. He should be sitting for all 6 interleague away games and there is a day off thrown in there. That is 7 of the 15 already.

soxrme
05-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
Well, I know he's getting shots. Would he be getting them if it wasn't bothering him? Perhaps that's helping? I do know that they do give immediate relief and it lasts for a few days, but when it wears off the pain is sometimes worse than before the shot. Sometimes that sensation is intensified with the motion of the swing.
If you know he is getting shots, then why doesn't the media?
And if he is, he should go on the DL because he has been killing us all year grounding into double plays. I would rather have Dalbach and Frank share 1b.

Foulke You
05-30-2003, 02:55 PM
I've had a little theory about Konerko's slump that isn't injury related. It had to do with a little story I read about Konerko during Spring Training where he told the interviewer that he worked hard in the offseason with the weights and reported to camp with 10lbs of extra muscle on his frame. Sometimes when baseball players add extra bulk to their arms, it can have the opposite effect on their swing that they were looking for. Baseball players have to be extremely careful in the way they train their arms because it can slow their swing. Ruben Sierra made an offseason training mistake like this in the mid '90s and it almost cost him his career. Of course, Sierra added way more bulk than Paulie did so with a little adjustment Paulie could return to form. This is just a theory of mine but I think if Paulie got himself back to the 10LB lighter shape he was in last year, his swing would come back.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I've had a little theory about Konerko's slump that isn't injury related. It had to do with a little story I read about Konerko during Spring Training where he told the interviewer that he worked hard in the offseason with the weights and reported to camp with 10lbs of extra muscle on his frame. Sometimes when baseball players add extra bulk to their arms, it can have the opposite effect on their swing that they were looking for. Baseball players have to be extremely careful in the way they train their arms because it can slow their swing. Ruben Sierra made an offseason training mistake like this in the mid '90s and it almost cost him his career. Of course, Sierra added way more bulk than Paulie did so with a little adjustment Paulie could return to form. This is just a theory of mine but I think if Paulie got himself back to the 10LB lighter shape he was in last year, his swing would come back.

:walnuts
"Note to self: Fewer curls, more donuts."

voodoochile
05-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Well, I know he's getting shots. Would he be getting them if it wasn't bothering him? Perhaps that's helping? I do know that they do give immediate relief and it lasts for a few days, but when it wears off the pain is sometimes worse than before the shot. Sometimes that sensation is intensified with the motion of the swing.

Okay, time for some shameless rumor mongering...

Steroids are a common cure for animals with degenerative hip conditions. If Paulie has a similar injury then maybe he has been using them to offset the injury. Now that he cannot use them anymore due to testing he no longer can play at a high level...

Just a theory, I have no evidence so don't ask for a link...