PDA

View Full Version : What must be done with Konerko?

ssang
05-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Paul Konerko is down to .207 with 3 HR and 15 RBI. Throw in his inept speed, mediocre glove, and his amazing tendency to hit into double plays and Paulie equates into the WORST regular starter in all of baseball right now. My question is, what do the Sox do? Can the Sox trade him (his value is soooooo low)? Can they simply just bench him forever? I mean, what the heck do you do about the worst player in basbeall A.K.A. Paul Konerko? He hurts the Sox so badly in every way that I say we just make him disappear!!! Is that possible? Can someone literally be thrown off the face of the earth? To me, that's what it seems needs to be done with Paul "my 90 yr old grandma could hit better" Konerko.

Kilroy
05-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ssang
Paul Konerko is down to .207 with 3 HR and 15 RBI. Add in his inept speed, medicore glove, and his plethora of double plays and Paulie equates into the is the WORST regular starter in all of baseball right now. My question is what do the Sox do? Can the Sox trade him (his value is soooooo low)? Can they simply just bench him forever? I mean, what the heck do you do about the worst player in basbeall A.K.A. Paul Konerko? He hurts the Sox so badly in every way that I say we just make him disappear!!! Is that possible? Can someone literally be thrown off the face of the earth? To me, that's what it seems needs to be done with Paul "my 90 yr old grandma could hit better" Konerko.

The answer for what to do with Konerko is just around the corner. That is? Interleague play. Paulie's gonna sit. Hopefully for 6 straight on the road. Then when we come home, give him a start against SF. That ought to let his head clear.

daveb816
05-29-2003, 09:58 AM
He must be on the bench vs. all RH starters. Let him start vs. lefties and pinch-hit late in the game vs. lefty relievers. If they don't face a lefty starter for a week or more, then give him a start to keep him somewhat fresh.

MHOUSE
05-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Put him on the DL until interleague play is over. Give another player a chance up here.

Procol Harum
05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Put him on the DL until interleague play is over. Give another player a chance up here.

And make him go to Don Beebe's Speed Camp while he's taking some time off. And then maybe see if there's an opening for the next Rogers Hornsby's Dont'-Hit-Into-Lame-Buttocked-Ground-Ball-Double-Plays-Camp....

SoxxoS
05-29-2003, 11:07 AM
I think he just needs "Tom Imanski's hitting instuction." Ask Fred McGriff. Actually (and sadly) I would rather have Fred McGriff than Konerko right now.

hold2dibber
05-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by daveb816
He must be on the bench vs. all RH starters. Let him start vs. lefties and pinch-hit late in the game vs. lefty relievers. If they don't face a lefty starter for a week or more, then give him a start to keep him somewhat fresh.

I think this is a very good idea. PK's OPS against lefties this year is over .900. Against righties? Under .500! I know the sample size is relatively small, but the Sox are 8 games out and they really need to jump start the offense. This (along with the firing of Manuel) seems to me to be a good polace to start. Moreover, from my discussions with BoSox fans, Daubach is an incredibly streaky hitter. I think he would greatly benefit from some extended playing time to allow him to get on a hot streak. I think the Sox should play Daubach against righties and PK against lefties until/unless one of them proves they deserve the job on an everyday basis. I also think Frank should be playing 1B (with Daubach and Konerko DH'ing) half of the time, to see if playing the field helps get Frank's bat straightened out. Desparate times call for desparate measures!

gosox41
05-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ssang
Paul Konerko is down to .207 with 3 HR and 15 RBI. Add in his inept speed, medicore glove, and his plethora of double plays and Paulie equates into the is the WORST regular starter in all of baseball right now. My question is what do the Sox do? Can the Sox trade him (his value is soooooo low)? Can they simply just bench him forever? I mean, what the heck do you do about the worst player in basbeall A.K.A. Paul Konerko? He hurts the Sox so badly in every way that I say we just make him disappear!!! Is that possible? Can someone literally be thrown off the face of the earth? To me, that's what it seems needs to be done with Paul "my 90 yr old grandma could hit better" Konerko.

Maybe we should sign him to another contract extenstion.

MHOUSE
05-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Yeah resign him for 1 year, $1 million dollars.

Hangar18
05-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
And make him go to Don Beebe's Speed Camp while he's taking some time off. And then maybe see if there's an opening for the next Rogers Hornsby's Dont'-Hit-Into-Lame-Buttocked-Ground-Ball-Double-Plays-Camp....

HEH HEHH

thepaulbowski
05-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

maybe we shoud send him to detention

lowesox
05-29-2003, 10:42 PM
What are the rules on sending a guy like Konerko to the minors? I'm suggesting this as a punishment. It's just that if there's one guy I think is pressing, it's Paully. Maybe some time out of the spotlight would do him a ton of good - and at the same time, give him a chance to get things straightened out.

If we can do it, we should. Then bring up Miles. Thomas would play first (Daubach as the defensive sub), and Miles DH.

Daver
05-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
What are the rules on sending a guy like Konerko to the minors? I'm suggesting this as a punishment. It's just that if there's one guy I think is pressing, it's Paully. Maybe some time out of the spotlight would do him a ton of good - and at the same time, give him a chance to get things straightened out.

If we can do it, we should. Then bring up Miles. Thomas would play first (Daubach as the defensive sub), and Miles DH.

Konerko would have to clear waivers,he won't.

Miles is not a prospect,and has managed to hit minor league pitching well for 1.5 of his seven minor league seasons.Career minor leaguer.

lowesox
05-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

Miles is not a prospect,and has managed to hit minor league pitching well for 1.5 of his seven minor league seasons.Career minor leaguer.

Ok, thanks for the clarrification on sending a guy down.

Why are you so down on Miles? The way I see it Miles put up better numbers against the same pitchers as Borchard. I think we really need a guy like him with the way our pitching is. He would help us produce more runs, and that could be huge.

Since the Konerko idea doesn't work, I would release White and call up Miles. Then have Thomas play first and Miles DH.

joecrede
05-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by daver

Konerko would clear waivers because no one would pick up his contract.

MRKARNO
05-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Konerko should have his eyes checked

Daver
05-29-2003, 11:04 PM

Why are you so down on Miles?

Because he has a history of struggling against minor league pitching and is a marginal positional player to boot,he is a career minor leaguer.He would be lucky to put up Willie Harris' numbers against MLB pitching.

hose
05-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Konerko has 35 years before he start drawing on Social Security.

job possibilities:

1- greeter at Wall Mart

2- pizza delivery

3- toll booth collector

4- security guard ( Cub club house spot is available)

5- newspaper route

6- White Sox hitting coach

7- flag man

8- picking up golf balls at driving range

9- surveyors assistant ( holds stick )

10- ESPN baseball analyst

MarkEdward
05-30-2003, 12:45 AM

Why are you so down on Miles? The way I see it Miles put up better numbers against the same pitchers as Borchard.

Miles has also seen AAA-calibre pitchers for the last five or six years, while Joe is only seeing them for the first or second time. Aaron was bound to start hitting them sometime.